RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
dark_kaplah

security DVR software

dark_kaplah

Hey guys.  I'm a long time listener who's enjoyed the show after building a WHS v.1 box.  That machine has finally been decomissioned as the Athalon 1700+ that it was running on was starting to give up the ghost.  I'm rebuilding the box using a A10 chip and a FM2 board that came out of my home server after it's upgrade.  I'm looking into doing a few new things with either the server or the HTPC.  I have a Hauppauge security DVR card (I'm not sure of the model.  It's in the basement) and a few outdoor wired cameras that I'm tempted to set up.  I'm just not sure of what software package will be best for this.

The HTPC is a windows based system.  I'm a WMS refugee who just upgraded to windows 10 and will be trying out a few alternatives on that system.  I want to leave that system as a windows PC as it also is used for living room steam gaming.

The rebuild WHS v1 box will become a FreeNAS.  While WHS has worked well for me I believe it's time to move on.  

I would like to use the HTPC as the DVR platform as this machine will remain on constantly.  I do have some requirements for the DVR software:

1)  Must use the Hauppauge card for it's 4 cameras

2)  Must be able to connect to Wifi/IP based cameras (I have a insteon/Foscam camera I use as a baby monitor.  Might buy some more cams for the house interior on the next Meh/Woot drop).

3)  Must allow remote access to the cameras via cell phone

4)  Open source is preferred 

I remember a year ago the HSS crew mentioned some security DVR software on the show.  I can't remember the episode number and I was wondering if recommendations have changed anyway since then as features evolved?  

Any assistance is appreciated

Drashna Jaelre

The two main solutions I know of are:

• iSpy Camera
  • BlueIris

The first is free, the second is trial-ware (and $60 for more than a few cameras). 

I've tried both, and I find that BlueIris is much better, easier to set up cameras, gets full audio, supports PTZ better, etc. Their licensing scheme is a bit shitty (namely, they're not up front about it, and there is an extended support renewal, that is not mandatory). 

Though, if you want list of other software: 

http://alternativeto.net/software/blue-iris/

AlternativeTo.net is always a fantastic resource

itGeeks

Hey guys.  I'm a long time listener who's enjoyed the show after building a WHS v.1 box.  That machine has finally been decomissioned as the Athalon 1700+ that it was running on was starting to give up the ghost.  I'm rebuilding the box using a A10 chip and a FM2 board that came out of my home server after it's upgrade.  I'm looking into doing a few new things with either the server or the HTPC.  I have a Hauppauge security DVR card (I'm not sure of the model.  It's in the basement) and a few outdoor wired cameras that I'm tempted to set up.  I'm just not sure of what software package will be best for this.

The HTPC is a windows based system.  I'm a WMS refugee who just upgraded to windows 10 and will be trying out a few alternatives on that system.  I want to leave that system as a windows PC as it also is used for living room steam gaming.

The rebuild WHS v1 box will become a FreeNAS.  While WHS has worked well for me I believe it's time to move on.  

I would like to use the HTPC as the DVR platform as this machine will remain on constantly.  I do have some requirements for the DVR software:

1)  Must use the Hauppauge card for it's 4 cameras

2)  Must be able to connect to Wifi/IP based cameras (I have a insteon/Foscam camera I use as a baby monitor.  Might buy some more cams for the house interior on the next Meh/Woot drop).

3)  Must allow remote access to the cameras via cell phone

4)  Open source is preferred 

I remember a year ago the HSS crew mentioned some security DVR software on the show.  I can't remember the episode number and I was wondering if recommendations have changed anyway since then as features evolved?  

Any assistance is appreciated

I am wondering what the Hauppauge card is used for? It looks like your saying you have IP cameras but then you say you need this "security DVR'' that does not seem to exist so I am confused :unsure: What are the make and model of all your cameras?

dark_kaplah

I have a combination of IP cameras and analog cameras.  The analog cameras are outdoor models and something I have lying around from an inherited system.  I'd like to reuse them to save costs.  I'm afraid I don't know the make or model of the analog cameras.  In fact I have a couple of small button hole analog cameras that have no identifying information and are probably cheap knockoff units.  The person who gave me the old system upgraded to a HD video solution.

itGeeks

I have a combination of IP cameras and analog cameras.  The analog cameras are outdoor models and something I have lying around from an inherited system.  I'd like to reuse them to save costs.  I'm afraid I don't know the make or model of the analog cameras.  In fact I have a couple of small button hole analog cameras that have no identifying information and are probably cheap knockoff units.  The person who gave me the old system upgraded to a HD video solution.

Sorry I can't help with software for the analog cams but for the IP cams you can look at what Drashna said and the one I use is 'Milestone XProtect Go' Its free and supports 8 camera's with 5 days of recording, There are other packages that expands the number of cameras and days of recording but then you start paying. https://www.milestonesys.com/our-products/video-management-software/xprotect-go/

BJWTech

Not sure if VirtualBox supports PCI passthrough ot not.... If it does, I would use a linux VM and passthrough the card. Then you can use the best SW out there in my opinion.... https://www.zoneminder.com/

Brian

itGeeks

I got all excited about trying this software till I see no Windows install, Sorry not a Linux man unless full GUI. You got any advice or links for easy setup? Looking things over it looks pretty complicated even to get it installed. Have you tried milestone XProtect Go before? If yes how does it compare to this?