RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Fan too noisy and overheating conditions

icest0rm

Hello,

I own a Microserver Gen8 with the following config:

CPU: Celeron G1610T

RAM: 1 x 2GB default + 1 x 8GB HP Part nr. 669239-081

Disks:

3 x WD RED 4TB (every disk in single raid0) + 1 x Hitachi 300GB 2,5" in the dvd bay connected to the ODD port (single raid0)

Storage Controller: B120i

Additional HP NC360T PCIe DP Gigabit Server Adapter

Actually I had to undercover the Microserver because it is in a room with 30/35°C and it shut down 5-6 times because of: "System Overheating (Temperature Sensor 4, Location System, Temperature 61C)"  which lead to "Automatic Operating System Shutdown Initiated Due to Overheat Condition"

in the consequent POST message I saw that the drive that was overheating was the 2,5 port 5 drive in the dvd bay.

Do you think that I will have better temp using an SSD?

No-one having such problems?

Anyway actually these are my temps:

2qid842.png

and the fan is spinning at 70% (but it was noisy also in winter, when the temp were not so high....I'm quite annoyed, do you know if it is normal it spins so much?)

thanks for your opinion

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schoondoggy

• tezray

• GoNz0

• icest0rm

Top Posters In This Topic

My server is running hot at the moment I moved it to a cupboard and the slight difference in air flow has put the inlet fan up a few degrees I now have 31 percent fan which is doing my head in in my front room I am going to move it again and have all the right things going on for quiet fan running but it just won't do it I think my 2x 3tb drives are causing it they are about 38c compared to my old 500gb drives at 25c but I don't want to lose the storage. The inlet fan temp seems to determine fan speed a lot

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I will  have a look when getting back home this evening.

It just shut down again.

Ok here in Italy we have 30/35°C in these days and in the room, ambient temp should be around 34/35°C but even with fan at 70% it shuts down.

I think it's related to the 2.5" getting overheated even if I don't remember so high temps on it (touching it by hand)

the drive is a HGST Travelstar 7K320 HTS723232L9A360

So 320GB 7200rpm 2,5" drive from Hitachi

There is little/no air flow in the ODD bay. 7200 RPM 2.5" drives can get very warm.

an SSD will solve the issue?

btw is it normal that the fan is running at 70% with those temps?

I have not heard of anyone having the same issue as you with an SSD. You would need to find a way to get air flow over the drive or try a different drive like a SSD.

I have not heard of anyone having the same issue as you with an SSD. You would need to find a way to get air flow over the drive or try a different drive like a SSD.

what I tried actually is:

taking out the cover of the Microserver gen8 and put the 2,5" drive before (inside gen8) the back fan or even after (outside gen8) the back fan, but it shutted down anyway...

really strange.