RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

UniFi access point from Ubiqiti - client handoff

whsbuss

You are correct, They where the older gen. Do they support zero-handoff and bandsteering now? A quick search tells me no and bandsteering is an absolute must for many mobile devices that support 2.4 and 5GHz and yes I understand the client also needs to take part in the process. Also I am allergic to none standards, Does the new gen devices use standard PoE or it's still priatery

According to their website, the gen.2 APs do support band steering. The AC Pro supports standard PoE and zero handoff.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

Haven't tried zero handoff or I'm not even sure it's supported on the AC-LR. Though, I'm not having any issues roaming around the house. I've configured each AP to use different non-overlapping channels on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz.

I am using band-steering and had it set to "Prefer 5Ghz". I've noticed a higher ratio of clients connecting to 5Ghz with this feature turned on. Essentially, only devices that does not support 5Ghz and/or are too far away, goes to the 2.4Ghz radio. It seems to make better utilization of the RF spectrum, IMO.

I started with open mesh products and returned them. The speed was significantly slower than my other APs. I then purchased the UniFi AP AC Pro and have been very happy with it. Speeds are great and no issues to date. I prefer the local controller to open mesh cloudtrax. You can run it on VM and only need it running if you want to make changes. Once setup, you can close the controller software. UniFi also sells a small device called UniFi Cloud Key which runs the software and is cloud accessible if you prefer. Overall, very pleased with UniFi.

I've opted to keep the controller running so that I can have visibility of who or what is connected at any given time. It also provides alerts if for example, any of the UAP got disconnected from the wired network somehow.

Another one that is extremely happy with the Ubiquiti AC-LR and AC-Pro - best APs I have ever owned.

Support is great as well - the developers actively contribute in the support forums and have even created custom firmware for individuals to try to assist with issue resolution.

The controller can run on Windows/Linux/OSX or their own CloudKey (little embedded debian dongle) but for those that don't want to run a controller, the new AC AP's can also be configured by an iOS or Android app.

• 4 weeks later...

Speak for yourself, not the forum. Ubiquiti had some issues a few years ago, but their current product is rock solid.

Search the Network forum for a post by Lonewolf. He did a great write up on his recent UniFi deployment.

I agree with this 100%. I came here to talk about my thoughts regarding past and current Ubiquiti experience.

A little over a year ago, I bought a UAP - 2.4 ghz only unit. The software stunk, the reception stunk, the reliability stunk, overall it was a lousy AP. I put it outside under an eave (it isn't rated for outdoor use, but I have huge eaves) and stayed on my two ASUS RT-N66U routers, configured with Tomato and set to only be APs, for indoor.

This year, the AC-Lite, AC-LR and AC-PRO showed up, and for a price that was pretty amazing. I decided to try them again during a sale on the AC-PRO at Amazon for $121. I downloaded the new software, which immediately found and upgraded my old UAP, then it inherited the new AC-PRO seamlessly. The first thing I noticed is my old UAP started working better, in fact it started working perfectly. Then, I noticed how great the new AC-PRO worked. I tested and tested and tested and everything was working great.

Now, just before this point I had been complaining to the wife about our wifi. Suddenly things are working better, but I have a dead spot in the middle of the house. So, I order an AC-Lite for $80 to replace one of the 66Us. Again, I plug it in and everything works seamlessly.

I decided to move things around for better coverage. I have the Lite at one end of the house, the Pro outside under the eave (it is rated for outdoor use), and the old 2.4 only UAP in the middle of the house. This is working absolutely wonderfully. So well in fact that I've ordered a new Pro to replace the UAP so that I can get 5ghz coverage in the middle of the house. I was hoping it would be here yesterday, but it hasn't arrived yet. I'll come back and write more review once I have it installed.

Some things I really like about these is how quickly they hand off, the ability to prefer 5Ghz, and the implementation of Airtime Fairness. 

If I have any complaint, it is that the application is still Java based (although much better now) and only allows me to install to C:.

wifi_zpsrlaq5scu.jpg

UniFi uses a local controller that needs to be installed onsite and Open-Mesh is cloud based, The feature set is also different. There are other things but I can't think right now but I will add at a later date.

The controller does not have to be running for UniFi unless you have set up a captive portal. Otherwise you can run it to do your setup, then never run it again if you wish.

Edited by RobbieH

Clarification on what I said above. The UniFi controller does not have to be running anywhere unless you have a captive portal. Once you have the APs configured, you never have to run UniFi controller again unless you need some stats or something.

Clarification on what I said above. The UniFi controller does not have to be running anywhere unless you have a captive portal. Once you have the APs configured, you never have to run UniFi controller again unless you need some stats or something.

Either that or use their UniFi app on iOS or Android to provision and configure the UAPs.

• Like 1

Either that or use their UniFi app on iOS or Android to provision and configure the UAPs.

Good point. I forgot they had done that. What's funny is I have it installed but forgot about it and haven't fired it up. Now I have something to look at today. :)