RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

UniFi access point from Ubiqiti - client handoff

whsbuss

I've been looking at the UniFi access points from Ubiqiti - one of the features is setting the RSSI level that will cause the client to drop from the AP. 

I've been looking at the UniFi access points from Ubiqiti - one of the features is setting the RSSI level that will cause the client to drop from the AP. 

No offense but your not going to find very many UniFi fans here as most of us that have tried it where not happy with the product line, I think there is one or two forum members that keep trying to defend them but most of us are not convinced. Open-Mesh is very much loved here and for good reason.

No offense but your not going to find very many UniFi fans here as most of us that have tried it where not happy with the product line, I think there is one or two forum members that keep trying to defend them but most of us are not convinced. Open-Mesh is very much loved here and for good reason.

Thanks for the heads up. My local microcenter has the UniFi APs in stock. That's why I mentioned them.

Speak for yourself, not the forum. Ubiquiti had some issues a few years ago, but their current product is rock solid.

Thanks for the heads up. My local microcenter has the UniFi APs in stock. That's why I mentioned them.

Search the Network forum for a post by Lonewolf. He did a great write up on his recent UniFi deployment.
  • Like 2

Speak for yourself, not the forum. Ubiquiti had some issues a few years ago, but their current product is rock solid.

Search the Network forum for a post by Lonewolf. He did a great write up on his recent UniFi deployment.

Kevin I am sorry I did not mean to hit a sore spot. I respect you very much and I have even come to you for advice but that said I have been a member of this forum long enough to know whats going on. I stand strong in my statement about UniFi products. There is a saying burn me once burn me twice burn me three times your out. I have tried two different products from them and they all either under performed or failed in under a year so yes I no longer wish to recommend or use there products any longer, As the saying goes the sweetness of low cost is long forgotten after the purchase of a bad product/service. I am not the only one on this forum that shares my feelings so that's y I said what I said. I hope the well respected pcdoc finds this thread and can confirm what I am saying, HSS-Dave also admited he did not realize the bad performance he was getting from Unify after testing other products. Now I don't doubt that Ubiq has got better over time but the consensuses on the internet still claim they over promise and under deliver and there firmware is still always half backed or it feels like its in beta stage for ever.

I admit I tried there older UAP-Pro-US at a whopping 229.00 each back in 2012 the performance was inline with wireless 'g'.even though these are rated for 2.4 and 5GHz and after returning and trying 2 other units and the performance being the same I gave up. I also want to mention that I ordered these from Streakwave and the return process was horrible, I think I had 10 phone calls and 30 emails trying to get me not to return the product saying I must be doing something wrong, Let us contact the manufacture, Ect. I also purchased a ToughSwitch to provide PoE to my camera's and it fails within a year so I ordered a 2nd one and it fail within a year so yes I no longer purchase there products based on my experience.

Besides all the drama above there are differences between the two products, UniFi uses a local controller that needs to be installed onsite and Open-Mesh is cloud based, The feature set is also different. There are other things but I can't think right now but I will add at a later date. My dollars go to Open-Mesh as its been a great performer, Tech support is 5 stars and if you have a problem they are quick to respond even with a private beta to the customer having problems. Try that with Ubiq. There is a reason I preach a product.

Just for the record I also respect Lonewolf and his advice and maybe he just has had better luck with the product then most of us have but most of us have moved on to another product and we are for the most part very happy with our decisions so till something happens with our current products we will more then likely not switch back or try Unifi agein

Edited by itGeeks

Kevin I am sorry I did not mean to hit a sore spot. I respect you very much and I have even come to you for advice but that said I have been a member of this forum long enough to know whats going on. I stand strong in my statement about UniFi products. There is a saying burn me once burn me twice burn me three times your out. I have tried two different products from them and they all either under performed or failed in under a year so yes I no longer wish to recommend or use there products any longer, As the saying goes the sweetness of low cost is long forgotten after the purchase of a bad product/service. I am not the only one on this forum that shares my feelings so that's y I said what I said. I hope the well respected pcdoc finds this thread and can confirm what I am saying, HSS-Dave also admited he did not realize the bad performance he was getting from Unify after testing other products. Now I don't doubt that Ubiq has got better over time but the consensuses on the internet still claim they over promise and under deliver and there firmware is still always half backed or it feels like its in beta stage for ever.

I admit I tried there older UAP-Pro-US at a whopping 229.00 each back in 2012 the performance was inline with wireless 'g'.even though these are rated for 2.4 and 5GHz and after returning and trying 2 other units and the performance being the same I gave up. I also want to mention that I ordered these from Streakwave and the return process was horrible, I think I had 10 phone calls and 30 emails trying to get me not to return the product saying I must be doing something wrong, Let us contact the manufacture, Ect. I also purchased a ToughSwitch to provide PoE to my camera's and it fails within a year so I ordered a 2nd one and it fail within a year so yes I no longer purchase there products based on my experience.

Besides all the drama above there are differences between the two products, UniFi uses a local controller that needs to be installed onsite and Open-Mesh is cloud based, The feature set is also different. There are other things but I can't think right now but I will add at a later date. My dollars go to Open-Mesh as its been a great performer, Tech support is 5 stars and if you have a problem they are quick to respond even with a private beta to the customer having problems. Try that with Ubiq. There is a reason I preach a product.

Just for the record I also respect Lonewolf and his advice and maybe he just has had better luck with the product then most of us have but most of us have moved on to another product and we are for the most part very happy with our decisions so till something happens with our current products we will more then likely not switch back or try Unifi agein

I would just ask that you share your own experience and not speak as if you are representing the forum.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

UAP-AC-LR user here. I've got three at home and they've all been solid performers.

I presume itGeeks was referring to the older generation UniFi line. The newer gens are great! Ubiquiti did well to vindicate themselves with the new line, compared to the mess that the older UniFi's were.

• Like 1

UAP-AC-LR user here. I've got three at home and they've all been solid performers.

I presume itGeeks was referring to the older generation UniFi line. The newer gens are great! Ubiquiti did well to vindicate themselves with the new line, compared to the mess that the older UniFi's were.

Thanks for the reply. Since I can get the UniFi APs locally I will give them a try.

I would just ask that you share your own experience and not speak as if you are representing the forum.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Sorry, Noted.

You are correct, They where the older gen. Do they support zero-handoff and bandsteering now? A quick search tells me no and bandsteering is an absolute must for many mobile devices that support 2.4 and 5GHz and yes I understand the client also needs to take part in the process. Also I am allergic to none standards, Does the new gen devices use standard PoE or it's still priatery

Edited by itGeeks