RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
qtopplings

OM vs other mesh systems

itGeeks

Just playing devils advocate here, but if OM is so great, why did you purchase Luma?   Why have others here purchased eero if Open Mesh is better?

I have a 3200 sq ft house.  2 stories.  Netgear is in the office downstairs.  Master bedroom walk in closet has a wall of HVAC hoses covered in metallic sheathing, which is what I think is causing the poor signal up there.  Not sure if a stronger transmitter would help, but it might worth a try.   Worst case scenario, I add a OM5P-AC upstairs in the bedroom, connected to ethernet.  

I would say this it sounds likely that 1 single OM MR1750 will solve your problem but as you know testing would be needed so my recommendation would be since Amazon has a 30 day no hassle return policy order one using the HSS affiliate link below so a few pennies come back to support this great forum at no extra cost to you and try it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0153YP5RA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=IIHQFXTXYZLO4

I would first try it on the 1st floor against an outer wall facing the main living aria on a 45 degree angle using one of these stands or similar that I used and worked great

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019ZYMDHO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=IK2JQKDB9RZMK

qtopplings

I can't believe I never tried this before, but I seem to have solved my poor Wifi issue in the house, and will now be cancelling my Luma order  (and I don't think I need Open Mesh either).

Since everything in my office is hardwired to an 8-port switch, there's no real reason to put my R7000 AP there.  It is in the front of my house, and the signal has to travel through about 4 massive HVAC ducts to get to my bedroom, which is likely why the signal is so poor there.   I moved the R7000 out into the living room, in the center of my house, and tucked it on a shelf behind some pictures.  My bedroom is directly above the R7000 now.

I'm happy to say I have 150mb speed over 5g in every room in my house, and over 200-220 in some spots!   I'm even getting 100 in my detached garage, and 120 in the backyard.  It really is all about placement.   I don't think I would get much better speeds with a Luma/Eero/OM.   I just saved $250!   And now I'll purchase a Circle for filtering my kids internet.   

Thanks so much everyone!   

itGeeks

I can't believe I never tried this before, but I seem to have solved my poor Wifi issue in the house, and will now be cancelling my Luma order  (and I don't think I need Open Mesh either).

Since everything in my office is hardwired to an 8-port switch, there's no real reason to put my R7000 AP there.  It is in the front of my house, and the signal has to travel through about 4 massive HVAC ducts to get to my bedroom, which is likely why the signal is so poor there.   I moved the R7000 out into the living room, in the center of my house, and tucked it on a shelf behind some pictures.  My bedroom is directly above the R7000 now.

I'm happy to say I have 150mb speed over 5g in every room in my house, and over 200-220 in some spots!   I'm even getting 100 in my detached garage, and 120 in the backyard.  It really is all about placement.   I don't think I would get much better speeds with a Luma/Eero/OM.   I just saved $250!   And now I'll purchase a Circle for filtering my kids internet.   

Thanks so much everyone!   

Congratulations! So you have learned something here? Placement of the AP is key to good performance and it looks like you found it :) The Netgear Nighthawk is a fantastic router from everything I have read about it, Amazon showing it's the number 1 best seller with a 4 1/2 star rating out of 5 from a whopping 8,958 reviews. WOW if that's not proof of a great product I don't know what is.

Amazon https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00F0DD0I6