RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
qtopplings

OM vs other mesh systems

qtopplings

Question re:  Luma vs Eero.

I have a Luma (which hasn't arrived yet), which I got for $250.   I have a code for Eero which I can redeem at $299.   I'm supposed to be getting a gift card from Luma for $25 for the color fiasco.   So difference is price for me is $25.

At this point, given my issues with needing to keep my ATT router as DHCP master, and not wanting to screw with the network I have now, my best bet would be to put the wifi in bridge mode/AP mode like my current set up.  Only one product is able to do that right now, which is Eero.    It seems from reading these threads, that Luma has a long, long way to go to enable all of the features I thought I was paying for....and I just can't afford to have a buggy network.  I rely on uptime as I work from home, and the Wife Acceptance Factor would plummet if I don't have the 99.9% uptime I have now.   WAF is pretty important :)

So...my question!   Putting Eero (or Luma, if active) in bridge mode does not mean I can't hook them all up using ethernet backhaul, correct?   As long as all 3 units are on the same network (ATT router IP assigned), the mesh should work.   This is something I need.  I have a 300mb connection and don't want to lose that speed due to wifi mesh.   And then I keep the existing ATT firewall, and have Eero.   I don't need the filtering yet, but when I do, Eero will either have it or I'll add a Circle, which seems superior anyway and will work in Bridge mode.

All of the other differences between the two seem overblown.  My max wifi connection is 300mb, so I don't need super throughput and either product should be able to supply that.

itGeeks

Question re:  Luma vs Eero.

I have a Luma (which hasn't arrived yet), which I got for $250.   I have a code for Eero which I can redeem at $299.   I'm supposed to be getting a gift card from Luma for $25 for the color fiasco.   So difference is price for me is $25.

At this point, given my issues with needing to keep my ATT router as DHCP master, and not wanting to screw with the network I have now, my best bet would be to put the wifi in bridge mode/AP mode like my current set up.  Only one product is able to do that right now, which is Eero.    It seems from reading these threads, that Luma has a long, long way to go to enable all of the features I thought I was paying for....and I just can't afford to have a buggy network.  I rely on uptime as I work from home, and the Wife Acceptance Factor would plummet if I don't have the 99.9% uptime I have now.   WAF is pretty important :)

So...my question!   Putting Eero (or Luma, if active) in bridge mode does not mean I can't hook them all up using ethernet backhaul, correct?   As long as all 3 units are on the same network (ATT router IP assigned), the mesh should work.   This is something I need.  I have a 300mb connection and don't want to lose that speed due to wifi mesh.   And then I keep the existing ATT firewall, and have Eero.   I don't need the filtering yet, but when I do, Eero will either have it or I'll add a Circle, which seems superior anyway and will work in Bridge mode.

All of the other differences between the two seem overblown.  My max wifi connection is 300mb, so I don't need super throughput and either product should be able to supply that.

OK so what I am getting from all this is you need great WiFi now and that's all your interested in and when and if you need parental control you will add Circle, Correct? Then I probably would not use Eero or Luma because you don't need the features they offer. Welcome to Open-Mesh, Its solid WiFi from a great company with 5 star tech support. Its a Mesh WiFi solution only so you just plug them into your current router/switch and in a few easy steps your up and running. I would suggest you start out with a single MR1750 and see how the coverage is, I had 1 unit installed on the first floor of my house and it covered my whole 3 story house and all my property outside. And they can even use PoE to power them. Its a really slick system take a look at them. pcdoc, Jason and I have them so if you need any help I am sure one of us will chime in and help get you sorted :)

Open Mesh website, Lots of options http://www.open-mesh.com/

MR1750 for 1st unit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0153YP5RA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=IIHQFXTXYZLO4

OM5P-AC for remote arias not covered by the MR1750 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E7FO810/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=I193P18ZQ7ZTZT

Youtube setup walk-through https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF7DKnY6fm4&index=1&list=PL-Mpec9tEKUOXNbATOhqK72Md9CtZ4sO9

Open-Mesh Show & Tell on Home Gadget Geeks#247 http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10703-open-mesh-show-tell-on-home-gadget-geeks247/

This is a thread where we are talking about the MR1750 http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9901-open-mesh-has-released-the-new-mr1750-dual-band-80211ac-access-point/

Review by John P. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7nPhwBLWYY&list=PL-Mpec9tEKUOXNbATOhqK72Md9CtZ4sO9&index=4

Edited by itGeeks

qtopplings

I've been looking into Open-Mesh but it seemed way more expensive to buy 3 units.    My main issue now is I have poor wifi in my upstairs bedroom.  I'm getting around 200mb everywhere except the bedroom, at <1.   I have an Apple Time capsule there with its own SSID, so when I go upstairs I switch to that SSID.   I'm looking for seamless handoff.

Is there any way to run Open-Mesh firmware on my Netgear R7000 and just buy an open-mesh AP for upstairs?   

itGeeks

I've been looking into Open-Mesh but it seemed way more expensive to buy 3 units.    My main issue now is I have poor wifi in my upstairs bedroom.  I'm getting around 200mb everywhere except the bedroom, at <1.   I have an Apple Time capsule there with its own SSID, so when I go upstairs I switch to that SSID.   I'm looking for seamless handoff.

Is there any way to run Open-Mesh firmware on my Netgear R7000 and just buy an open-mesh AP for upstairs?   

No there is no way to install Open-Mesh firmware on your hardware. What makes you think you would need more then one or two OM to cover you? Unless you have a really big estate or a house that has all brick/concrete walls I would challenge you needing more then one or two. OM is not a consumer device like Eero/Luma/Apple so the amount of devices are going to be less in most cases. Open-Mesh packs a powerful punch with a whopping 400mW of output power compared to the average consumer device that is 2-3 times less then that. Both Eero/Luma are very low power by design because they both want us to use multiple AP's to cover the same aria that Open-Mesh can cover for less.

What is the sqft of your house?

What type of building materials are used for inside of of house?

How many floors is your house?

In closing I will tell you this I had a 2400 sqft home sitting on a 5,723 sqft piece of property with a detached garage and one single OM MR1750 installed on the first floor in a 3 story house covered all of it without a problem. My house did have all Sheetrock walls with vinyl siding on plywood sheathing so no concrete or brick. This should give you an idea of what the OM MR1750 is able to cover. For my complete results and reading for my site survy on my old house have a look at post #16 http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9901-open-mesh-has-released-the-new-mr1750-dual-band-80211ac-access-point/

Edited by itGeeks

qtopplings

No there is no way to install Open-Mesh firmware on your hardware. What makes you think you would need more then one or two OM to cover you? Unless you have a really big estate or a house that has all brick/concrete walls I would challenge you needing more then one or two. OM is not a consumer device like Eero/Luma/Apple so the amount of devices are going to be less in most cases. Open-Mesh packs a powerful punch with a whopping 400mW of output power compared to the average consumer device that is 2-3 times less then that. Both Eero/Luma are very low power by design because they both want us to use multiple AP's to cover the same aria that Open-Mesh can cover for less.

What is the sqft of your house?

What type of building materials are used for inside of of house?

How many floors is your house?

In closing I will tell you this I had a 2400 sqft home sitting on a 5,723 sqft piece of property with a detached garage and one single OM MR1750 installed on the first floor in a 3 story house covered all of it without a problem. My house did have all Sheetrock walls with vinyl siding on plywood sheathing so no concrete or brick. This should give you an idea of what the OM MR1750 is able to cover. For my complete results and reading for my site survy on my old house have a look at post #16 http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9901-open-mesh-has-released-the-new-mr1750-dual-band-80211ac-access-point/

Just playing devils advocate here, but if OM is so great, why did you purchase Luma?   Why have others here purchased eero if Open Mesh is better?

I have a 3200 sq ft house.  2 stories.  Netgear is in the office downstairs.  Master bedroom walk in closet has a wall of HVAC hoses covered in metallic sheathing, which is what I think is causing the poor signal up there.  Not sure if a stronger transmitter would help, but it might worth a try.   Worst case scenario, I add a OM5P-AC upstairs in the bedroom, connected to ethernet.  

• Like 1

qtopplings

Sorry if I'm getting off topic here, but digging a little more on OM:

• The MR1750 is backwards compatible with OM2P and most later OM Series devices2 (requires firmware upgrade) and MR600 and later MR Series devices, so you can run them on the same network. For optimal range, the MR1750 will mesh with other devices over the 2.4 GHz band only.   Will not mesh with OM5P, but can run on the same network.

I'm reading this as the MR1750 will not mesh with the OM-5P, so what will it mesh with?   And if only on 2.4ghz, I'm getting terrible speed so what is the benefit of Open Mesh?

itGeeks

Just playing devils advocate here, but if OM is so great, why did you purchase Luma?   Why have others here purchased eero if Open Mesh is better?

I have a 3200 sq ft house.  2 stories.  Netgear is in the office downstairs.  Master bedroom walk in closet has a wall of HVAC hoses covered in metallic sheathing, which is what I think is causing the poor signal up there.  Not sure if a stronger transmitter would help, but it might worth a try.   Worst case scenario, I add a OM5P-AC upstairs in the bedroom, connected to ethernet.  

Good questions and I can answer them in a long winded statement below,

Have no doubt OM rocks for a WAP only solution and they even have mobile apps now that you can configure and manage your wireless network, Notice I said a "WAP" only solution. OM is designed to be installed behind a 3rd party router and for the record I favor "Untangle" at this point but that takes some skill to setup and manage so I am at an age that I am looking for an all in one solution router/firewall/virus & malware protection as well as parental control  that my loved ones can setup and manage threw and easy to use app on there smart-phones/tablets. Y? because if I drop dead tomorrow no one in my family can manage there current setups and I need to start thinking about this. I don't recommend Eero to anyone because I know nothing about it as I am testing Luma because of all the hype of what it promised I thought it was going to be the answer to my dreams and it still mite be after giving Luma time to include all there promises that is only vaporware at this point, I am hopeful.

Please understand OM is an enterprise product, Eero/Luma is not and as such they all offer very different solutions. OM only manufactures WAP's and they do it very well, Eero/Luma are trying to be a one stop shop for everything at the edge of our networks in. Big difference. Its to early to tell if Erro or Luma will be the golden egg but one thing for sure is Eero is gaining ground as they have even added support for things not originally announced such as parental controls so hew knows whats next. Luma has LOTS of work to do yet to get on feature parity with not only what was promised but to give us the basic features any cheap off the shelf router gives us. I hope I have answer your questions in a way you understand?

pcdoc

I can vouch for the range, stability, and capacity of the MR1750.  Though I have two units, they are covering the same areas under two different physical networks and each covers the entire house including strong coverage around the pool (approximately 7000-8000 square feet total).  As you can see from the charts below, I average 17 devices on one AP (many are cameras that stream 24/7) and signal is always consistent.  Have not had a drop since the install of v6 of their firmware and performance is very constant despite the constant load on the AP.  Like many of you I have zero interest in a self contained solution and only want a good AP.  As I control filtering and applications through my router, my focus is on overall performance (strength, speed, capacity, and stability).

k0F9zI.jpg

t3Lvas.jpg

whsbuss

Never heard of OM but its an interesting concept. My questions: 1) is there a yearly fee for their network management? 2) Is the management encrypted and saved on their servers? 3) can you just install, setup, and not use the management?

itGeeks

Never heard of OM but its an interesting concept. My questions: 1) is there a yearly fee for their network management? 2) Is the management encrypted and saved on their servers? 3) can you just install, setup, and not use the management?

There is no yearly fee for the network management, You manage it threw there cloud service called "CloudTrax" over https secure communication. After the setup is complete you no longer ever have to login/use the management interface again if you don't want to. It is one of the best systems you will find at the price point if your looking for a WAP only solution and some would say it out performs some of the competition costing a lot more.

Here are some links for you to look over and if you have any questions or trouble setting it up I am sure one of us forum members that own and love OM will chime in to try and help :)

Open Mesh website, Lots of options http://www.open-mesh.com/

MR1750 for 1st unit https://www.amazon.c...d=IIHQFXTXYZLO4

OM5P-AC for remote arias not covered by the MR1750 https://www.amazon.c...=I193P18ZQ7ZTZT

Youtube setup walk-through 

Open-Mesh Show & Tell on Home Gadget Geeks#247 http://homeserversho...adget-geeks247/

This is a thread where we are talking about the MR1750 http://homeserversho...c-access-point/

Review by John P. 

I can vouch for the range, stability, and capacity of the MR1750.  Though I have two units, they are covering the same areas under two different physical networks and each covers the entire house including strong coverage around the pool (approximately 7000-8000 square feet total).  As you can see from the charts below, I average 17 devices on one AP (many are cameras that stream 24/7) and signal is always consistent.  Have not had a drop since the install of v6 of their firmware and performance is very constant despite the constant load on the AP.  Like many of you I have zero interest in a self contained solution and only want a good AP.  As I control filtering and applications through my router, my focus is on overall performance (strength, speed, capacity, and stability).

k0F9zI.jpg

t3Lvas.jpg

Doc, Nice work!