RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

eero handoff

t2clej

I could not find an answer to this question so I'm hoping someone who uses the eero can.

With 3+ eero setup, does the device automatically switch you to the closest AP?

Typical scenario - kids start homework downstairs and then move upstairs to their rooms. Will eero "transfer" their device to the closest AP with best strength or will they stay connected to the AP downstairs?

Thanks.

I could not find an answer to this question so I'm hoping someone who uses the eero can.

With 3+ eero setup, does the device automatically switch you to the closest AP?

Typical scenario - kids start homework downstairs and then move upstairs to their rooms. Will eero "transfer" their device to the closest AP with best strength or will they stay connected to the AP downstairs?

Thanks.

I don't have Eero as I am testing Luma right now but the claim from both Eero and Luma is they should handle client hand-off aka roaming to the closest unit with the strongest signal. Are you having a problem with it not working? All the talk about "mesh" is the key to the devices roaming to the next strongest device, It takes several AP's and creates one large network.

Edited by itGeeks

Unfortunately it may be device dependent.  I have been messing around with my eero system and trying to figure this one out for myself.  Not only do you have different units acting as access points but you also have different frequencies too (if your device is able to utilize 5Ghz or 2.4GHz).  The latest devices use mutiple channels too so that makes it more complicated too.  Unfortunately I don't have proof yet that it will jump to the closest / strongest / fastest signal but I am still trying to figure that one out.

Unfortunately it may be device dependent.  I have been messing around with my eero system and trying to figure this one out for myself.  Not only do you have different units acting as access points but you also have different frequencies too (if your device is able to utilize 5Ghz or 2.4GHz).  The latest devices use mutiple channels too so that makes it more complicated too.  Unfortunately I don't have proof yet that it will jump to the closest / strongest / fastest signal but I am still trying to figure that one out.

From everything I am reading Eero does not support bandsteering unlike Luma after becomes none vaporware. That said bandsteering helps but the device also has to agree in order to succeed

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10787-wifi-testing-standards/page-2

Well I'm hoping a mesh network would find a way to handoff the device to the strongest network. I know my iPhone 6 will not give up its weak connection unless it is quite below the noise floor. I use a range extender and even when I'm in the room that has it (100% signal strength) if my iPhone can still talk with its previous connection is will not handoff. 

I have split off some discussions and cleaned up a couple others. For continuity I have the comments about bandsteering from itGeeks posted below.

The key to it would be a mesh network that supports bandsteering however that's only part of it, The client needs to take part and be willing to follow orders. I can best describe it like this in laymen's terms.

You have a son that never cleans his room and you don't say anything so his room stays messy now one day you decided you had enough so you tell your son he better clean up his room or your going to take his gaming console away for a week (this is bandsteering) your son replies I don't care or says OK but does not do it (client refuses advice from bandsteering).

Or you tell your son to clean his room (bandsteering) and your son replies OK and does it (client agrees with advice from bandsteering).

Remember you can always walk the horse to the water (bandsteering) but you can't make him drink it (client)

According to reports Eero does not have bandsteering and its not on there roadmap, As for Luma it does not have bandsteering but it is on there roadmap according to tech support. Don't know what your expecting or looking to get from these devices but if it's WiFi only may I suggest you look at Open-Mash, Its a great device that supports mesh and supports bandsteering as well as supporting PoE for power and has a mobile app to manage it.

Here is a link to additional information on Open Mesh http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11393-om-links-and-references/