RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma w/ Verizon FIOS

whsbuss

connect the output port of all the Luma devices to a common switch so that they can route traffic over the wires in stead of using wifi.  All the traffic has to get back to the module that is connected to the outside world.  You either use WIFI to get the data from the remote modules to the base module or you can use ethernet cable to connect them all together (allowing ethernet backhaul).

connect the output port of all the Luma devices to a common switch so that they can route traffic over the wires in stead of using wifi.  All the traffic has to get back to the module that is connected to the outside world.  You either use WIFI to get the data from the remote modules to the base module or you can use ethernet cable to connect them all together (allowing ethernet backhaul).

Just to clarify the setup.

The first Luma get connected to the FiOs routers LAN port to the in port on the first Luma, The 2nd and 3rd Luma's would get connected to the in port with CAT6 that allows Luma to use Ethernet backhaul instead of wireless mesh and that will give you the best performance. The out ports of each Luma can be used to either feed a switch or used for connecting a single device. You don't want to connect the out ports of all Luma's to the same switch. The out ports can also be used to daisy chain the Luma's if you don't have home runs to a central switch but it seems like you do so no need to daisy chain them. Just for an example of how to daisy chain the Luma's starting with the 1st Luma you would plug a CAT5/6 into the out port and connect the other end into the in port on the 2nd Luma then connect a CAT5/6 into the out port of the 2nd Luma into the in port on the 3rd Luma and so on.

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks,

Just to confirm, Ethernet from ONT to WAN port of the Router (which will be located next to the central hub and switch). Cat6 from the Router to the IN port of Luma #1. I guess here is my question. Do I run a cat6 from the Router to the switch to provide Ethernet for all other connections, or do I run cat6 from OUT of Luma #1 to the switch. Luma #2 would be on main floor and Luma #3 would be on top floor (all connected via Ethernet to the switch). Then I would turn off the wireless of the router and connect to the Lumas.

Thanks for everyone's help. I've been reading a lot in the forum and the information here is great, especially for a beginner/novice like me.

I understand the lack of security is turning most people off. I will give it a try and may look to RMA as well but I have a little time to play with that.

Thanks

itGeeks,

Just to confirm, Ethernet from ONT to WAN port of the Router (which will be located next to the central hub and switch). Cat6 from the Router to the IN port of Luma #1. I guess here is my question. Do I run a cat6 from the Router to the switch to provide Ethernet for all other connections, or do I run cat6 from OUT of Luma #1 to the switch. Luma #2 would be on main floor and Luma #3 would be on top floor (all connected via Ethernet to the switch). Then I would turn off the wireless of the router and connect to the Lumas.

Thanks for everyone's help. I've been reading a lot in the forum and the information here is great, especially for a beginner/novice like me.

I understand the lack of security is turning most people off. I will give it a try and may look to RMA as well but I have a little time to play with that.

Thanks

Rite Ethernet from the ONT to the WAN port of the FiOs router, Now it you have a separate switch that your using in the same location plug one of the LAN ports on the FiOs router into a LAN port on the switch. Then plug a cable from the switch to the 'in port' on the first Luma the 'out port' can remain not used. Now if you have Ethernet run already to each location where you want to install Luma just plug into the 'in port' of each Luma. The 'out ports' don't need to be used but can be if you have a device that you want connected to the network, Think about it like it's single port switch that you can use to add a single device or you can plug a switch into it to plug multiple devices into your network.

Edited by itGeeks

That is perfect, thanks so much. I figured it was something like that but wanted to make sure. Then like the prior posts, create a DMZ for Luma #1?

That is perfect, thanks so much. I figured it was something like that but wanted to make sure. Then like the prior posts, create a DMZ for Luma #1?

Correct, Create a DHCP reservation on the FiOs router for Luma #1 then create a DMZ on the FiOs router for Luma #1.

Good luck