RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma w/ Verizon FIOS

whsbuss

Looking to do a mesh wifi network here in my home. I have Verizon FiOS TV and internet which requires me to keep their actiontec router connected as the primary router. Currently I have an Asus AC68R router setup in AP mode in static IP mode off the FiOS router LAN port. It is strictly connected to a GB switch for wireless access in the home. I know EERO has the capability of connecting in AP mode using a special setup on their app, but does Luma also support this?

I split this into it's own topic because it has actually been discussed a couple of times.  I believe at this time Luma can only be configured as a router.  It currently does not have a bridge-mode.

I believe you have the following choices (at this time):

1. Double NAT - you can leave your Actiontec in place and connect the Luma router to one of the LAN ports.  This will create a double NAT and may make it difficult if you need remote access to something on your Luma network because you now have two routers to get through.

2. DMZ - Enable DMZ Host on the ActionTec router and enter the IP address of the Luma router.  This essentially opens all ports on the router to that IP address and you would rely on the firewall in the Luma  (if there is one).

FYI - I am doing option 2 with eero behind an ActionTec router using a fiber to home service similar to FIOS.  When I did this I made sure that my firewall on my ActionTec router was locked down and then confirmed when I added eero that it didn't leave any ports open that I didn't want.

eero does have a bridge mode that essentially allows it to act like wireless access points.

Thank you for the response and information. In my current configuration, nothing is connected to the AP except the wireless devices in the home. Remote access to a WD MyCloud is uPNP via the actiontec router so I'm OK with having double NAT. I have never been in favor of DMZ connections as security is so hard to manage. Well lets hope Luma provides AP mode similar to EERO.

I don't think it is going to work the way you are hoping.

Today the wireless devices and WD MyCloud are all on the same subnet (ie, 192.168.0.x).  This would allow you access to the WD device on your network.

When you do the double NAT then you isolate the two networks.  Anything getting DHCP service from the ActionTec would get a 192.168.0.x ip address (as an example) and the Luma would hand out 192.168.1.x addresses.

If you need all devices on the network to have access to each other they need to be on the same subnet.  You can still do the double NAT but you need everything connected to Luma except your IPTV boxes which would still be connected to the ActionTec.  

You are correct. I forgot that my wireless devices within the home would need access to the MyCloud. So AP or DMZ is the only real way to do it.

Edited by whsbuss

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm new here and found this forum when looking for info regarding Luma. Mine just arrived and I had some questions.

Just a quick intro, I'd like to think I know more about IT than most other people (most people I talk to don't know anything). However compared to just about everyone else on this forum I would be considered a beginner or novice at best, so please bare with me.

I have Verizon FiOS with the newer Quantum Router and also FiOS TV (no phone). In reading in another thread it seems like the router HAS to be first in line because it sends out the signals to the STB's for the Guide and On Demand. itGeeks noted that in order to get Luma to work with the router, you need to set up DMZ (admittedly I have no idea what this is). I am savvy enough to go into the router settings and make changes where necessary, though I keep that to a minimum as I don't know what most of the settings do. Reading the router's user guide, it seems like it is easy to set up a DMZ (in the setting, you go to Firewall - DMZ Host, and then add in the Luma's IP address and click apply). Am I missing something other than that?

Here is my setup to help give some perspective. I hope this helps (and maybe I'm doing something wrong and someone has a better suggestion). I just built my house and all of the cabling (RG6 and CAT6) meet at one box in the basement.

ONT Cat6 --> Quantum Router WAN in basement

CAT6 from Router LAN port --> NetGear JGS524NA Switch

Cat6 from switch --> IN Port of Luma #1 in basement

Luma #2 would be connected via Cat6 on main floor

Luma #3 would be connected via Cat6 on top floor

Secondary (for TV)

RG6 from ONT --> 8 way splitter (for all the rooms in house)

RG6 from splitter --> Quantum router for guide and on demand

Does this sound right? Please let me know if you need any other specific information.

Joey

Setting up your DMZ is easy on FiOS. As you mentioned, its in the Firewall settings on the gateway router. Most FiOS router use the 192.168.1.1 IP address for access and you need to select a static IP for your main Luma and DMZ. So first, on the gateway router, go to advanced and open the IP address distribution link.

- set DHCP range (a suggestion) 192.169.1.100 to 192.168.1.254 and apply.

- select an IP address for your Luma and DMZ (suggestion) 192.168.1.2

- (since I don't have Luma) set the WAN Internet interface for a static IP; 192.168.1.2, DNS 192.168.1.1, Gateway 192.168.1.1

- enter 192.168.1.2 in the DMZ on the gateway router and apply.

- set the local LAN IP address on the luma (suggestion) 192.168.2.1

- set any port forwarding or uPNP

Hope that helps.

Edited by whsbuss

Thanks that helps a lot, I'll have it give it a shot sometime soon when I have time.

Follow up question. Do I need to turn off the 2.4 and 5.0 WiFi in the Gateway, or should those stay on? Any other changes or suggestions?

Thanks again.

Thanks that helps a lot, I'll have it give it a shot sometime soon when I have time.

Follow up question. Do I need to turn off the 2.4 and 5.0 WiFi in the Gateway, or should those stay on? Any other changes or suggestions?

Thanks again.

I suggest turning off all other wifi radios so the Luma's don't experience interference

Great thanks for the help. One last question (I think) and I forgot to mention it. Luma #2 and #3 as noted would be plugged into cat6 outlets in each room. Those connections would plugged in to the switch. Will that be an issue? Do you see any other issues with the hardware setup? Thanks again for walking me through this.