RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Untangle - Just Released! NG Firewall v12.1, Features Geolocation and Responsive UI

snapper

Have you tried it yet? 

Looks quite nice.

Now there is a workaround for the L2TP dynamic WAN address issue, I may give it a go myself when I get a moment...

Poppapete

This will upgrade automatically won't it if you have the right setting?  No major changes apart from the geolocating! The webinar will be available soon.

itGeeks

This will upgrade automatically won't it if you have the right setting?  No major changes apart from the geolocating! The webinar will be available soon.

Correct it will upgrade automatically as long as you have the beta selected in cloudtrax. There are other changes other then geolocating so have a look at the change log.

itGeeks

Correct it will upgrade automatically as long as you have the beta selected in cloudtrax. There are other changes other then geolocating so have a look at the change log.

Sorry the changelog can be found here https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/12.1.0_Changelog

itGeeks

Have you tried it yet? 

Looks quite nice.

Now there is a workaround for the L2TP dynamic WAN address issue, I may give it a go myself when I get a moment...

Sadly I have not tried it because at the moment I am not using it because I moved last month into a small apartment and I have been testing Luma. I am missing the great protection that Untangle gave me so I will probably start using it again very soon with Open-Mesh, I just need to get a silent server to install it on along with Plex media server because I have no basement here and I had Untangle running in a VM on a loud Suppermicro 1U server that was in my basement and that wont fly here with my boss.

nguyendot

That's been my challenge lately. I'm trying to find a 1U server that won't wake the dead. I really want a dell R220 or R230 but they're still fairly expensive. I did pick up an R420 however.....but it won't fit in a standard wall rack like the R2xx series. I just bought a 9U wall rack, now I need a 15U+. But hey I can try out Untangle now.

Sadly I have not tried it because at the moment I am not using it because I moved last month into a small apartment and I have been testing Luma. I am missing the great protection that Untangle gave me so I will probably start using it again very soon with Open-Mesh, I just need to get a silent server to install it on along with Plex media server because I have no basement here and I had Untangle running in a VM on a loud Suppermicro 1U server that was in my basement and that wont fly here with my boss.

Poppapete

Interesting. I have my UT on a Supermicro 1U which I purchased for Sophos which you will see below on my signature (which I must change as it is way out of date).  Those 20mm fans used to roar in the summer but since installing UT on the Hardware (no VM) they are silent.  The Fans died in the first 3 months (with Sophos installed) and were replaced free of charge including freight by the Supermicro supplier in Australia. The Hardware is way too much just for UT, in fact I ran Server 2016 #3 for 2 months as a test but could not see any features that impressed me so that's when I loaded UT on it.

itGeeks

Interesting. I have my UT on a Supermicro 1U which I purchased for Sophos which you will see below on my signature (which I must change as it is way out of date).  Those 20mm fans used to roar in the summer but since installing UT on the Hardware (no VM) they are silent.  The Fans died in the first 3 months (with Sophos installed) and were replaced free of charge including freight by the Supermicro supplier in Australia. The Hardware is way too much just for UT, in fact I ran Server 2016 #3 for 2 months as a test but could not see any features that impressed me so that's when I loaded UT on it.

That's the same 1U server I have so you know what I am talking about with the fans, Granted I had more going on with it then just Untangle such as my IP camera NVR software and that alone would ramp up the CPU with six 3MP and 4MP cameras being monitored 24 hours a day on my tablets around the house. Nois aside I really to have room here for my server rack and for sure I know it would not be welcome in the living room so I need to downsize my setup. Thinking of getting one of these boxes to install Untangle - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019Z8T9J0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=I15QGDT41IE5EU

Another option I am thinking of is a small mini tower case that I could remove the MB from the 1U and install it in the MT, Any thoughts on a small case that wont wake the dead? Love the system, It did everything I need so I hate to completely trash it. Looks like this maybe the small case I could use at least from Supermicro https://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/tower/731/SC731i-300.cfm I just wonder how loud it is?

Edited by itGeeks

oj88

In practical terms, how does Untangle stack up against the big NGFW players like SonicWall, Cisco, etc.