RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Luma and its wireless channel management or should I say lack of?

itGeeks

itGeeks

My email response below is part of am email I sent Luma-

Yes I have been able to identify channel congestion with 3 different WiFi tools that I use for large deployments. Luma has been locked onto channel 6 for the 2.4GHz band since I first set it up just over two weeks ago and the recommend settings with the tools I use for larger deployment has recommended channel 11 till today when it recommend channel 1, There are has been and still is 5 overlapping channels and 7 Co-channels on channel 6 so channel 6 that Luma has been locked onto since I deployed it just over 2 weeks ago is not correct. 

As for the 5GHz band Luma has been locked on to channel 40 since deployment just over two weeks ago and the recommend channel has been channel 36 for the same two weeks. The 5GHz band reports 0 overlapping but one Co-Channel.

Luma's Response-

Luma Support (Luma)
Jul 13, 5:34 PM EDT

Apologies for the delays.
Basically, the Luma will dynamically assign the best channel available at the time of set up and will retain that channel going forward. I can certainly add the request to allow re-assesement in the future so that you can initiate the same re-scan of available and best channels for a future release, but that does not currently exist.

My response to Luma-
My understanding was the Luma would monitor and adjust channel & power settings 24 hours a day 7 days a week so the end user does not need to worry about it but what I am getting from you is Luma only selects the channel on initial setup but does not dynamically monitor are change the settings going forward, Am I correct and if yes how is this a good thing? As we know the best channel number changes all the time as WAP's come on and off line so y is Luma not monitoring and dynamically changing our settings like I was understanding? How is the channel number on setup the golden egg threw the life of Luma when the best channel number changes all the time? The re-assessment as you call it should not be a manual thing but rather automatic in the background 24 hours a day 7 days a week by Luma after all Luma is suppose to make WiFi easy for the none tech average home user that knows nothing about WiFi and give them "surround WiFi" to every corner of there space with grate performance so please explain how manual intervention for selecting the correct channel falls in line with ease of use?

cskenney

Interesting exchange. Wonder if EERO operate in a similar fashion?

I will see if I can figure that out.

cskenney

I looked at my eero system using a Netgear AC1200 WIFI USB adapter.  This adapter is able to use multiple channels if they are available.

5GHz - currently using 36, 40, 44 and 48.  There are no other networks in my area using these channels.  There are some other 5Ghz channels detected but they are 149, 153, 157 and 161.

2.4GHz - currently using 1 and 5.  My only issue here is that most of my neighbors also appear to be using channel 1.  

If I look at my wireless signals with an Android phone (single channel) I see Ch1 for 2.4GHz and 36 for 5Ghz.

I will keep an eye on it and see if these channels change.  I can also send an email to eero support and ask them about it.

itGeeks

I looked at my eero system using a Netgear AC1200 WIFI USB adapter.  This adapter is able to use multiple channels if they are available.

5GHz - currently using 36, 40, 44 and 48.  There are no other networks in my area using these channels.  There are some other 5Ghz channels detected but they are 149, 153, 157 and 161.

2.4GHz - currently using 1 and 5.  My only issue here is that most of my neighbors also appear to be using channel 1.  

If I look at my wireless signals with an Android phone (single channel) I see Ch1 for 2.4GHz and 36 for 5Ghz.

I will keep an eye on it and see if these channels change.  I can also send an email to eero support and ask them about it.

Great info, What are you using to see the channel number your Android phone is using?

itGeeks

Update: I don't understand y we have to sirch for programs to display the most basic information about what our devices are using for WiFi, I mean this is not some low level info we are trying to see. It's the frigging band and channel number we are trying to see on our devices, Is that asking to much? Come on it's 2016 and this info should be included when we tap the WiFi connection with the other info such as MAC/IP address along with signal strength. Am i alone in thinking this info should be stock on all our device?

Edited by itGeeks
cskenney

Great info, What are you using to see the channel number your Android phone is using?

I use Wifi Analyzer.  It is in the Play Store.  The author name is farproc.  There are numerous apps with the exact same name.

I have also used WiFi Speed Test to play around a little bit.  This author (Zoltan Pallagi) also has a Wifi Analyzer program that is pretty informative.

itGeeks

I use Wifi Analyzer.  It is in the Play Store.  The author name is farproc.  There are numerous apps with the exact same name.

I have also used WiFi Speed Test to play around a little bit.  This author (Zoltan Pallagi) also has a Wifi Analyzer program that is pretty informative.

Thanks for the info. I use both those programs as well. Have not tried (Zoltan Pallagi) Wifi Analyzer program that is pretty informative, I will have a look.

schoondoggy

I understand your frustration, but what would be the benefit of building in these functions for the average user? I think the goal of must network companies would be to take care of this stuff in the background so users would never need to deal with it.

itGeeks

I just download  (Zoltan Pallagi) Wifi Analyzer program, That's pretty nice program, Great insite on things.  :)

I just download  (Zoltan Pallagi) Wifi Network Analyzer program, That's pretty nice program, Great insite on things.  :)