RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
adobo

upgrade to Microserver (gen8) or keep n40ls

adobo
Hi All,

I have been toying with the idea of getting a gen8 for some time and have only recently found out these are cheap enough..

I have 2x n40l (1 with 16GB RAM & HP Dual Gigabit NIC, 1 with 8GB RAM & 1 extra Intel CT gigabit NIC).

I am looking to complete my MS Server exams in the next few months and need a suitable lab.

I could replace these with 1x gen8 with 16GB RAM, which i could upgrade the CPU at some point.

I do have a whitebox server with 32GB RAM but I plan to decommision as its more power hungry than i would like

I'm trying to work out the pros and cons of each option.

Gen8 does have the option to upgrade the cpu (which i would likely do)

Can anyone also advise on replacing my Whitebox with a less power consuming Microserver?

WhiteBox Specs:

AMD 8230 (8core), Asrock Extreme 970 3, 32GB RAM, 1x256GB SSD, 2x120GB SSD, 1x1TB HDD,1x3TB HDD, 650W PSU

..I plan to put the drives into the Microserver

DaMenace

I love my Gen 8. ILo4 is the most robust feature of all. It is well worth the price.

• Like 1

schoondoggy

The Gen8 Microserver is a great design, but it is getting old. The ML10 v2 or ML310e v2 are bigger cases, but good choices.

• Like 1

adobo

The Gen8 Microserver is a great design, but it is getting old. The ML10 v2 or ML310e v2 are bigger cases, but good choices.

Thanks for the info, although I'm a little restricted for space. One of the reason I like the idea of running the Microserver 'headless' and manage via iLo if needed.

2x N40Ls for 1x gen8 w/ 16GB RAM seems like a good deal IMO.

adobo

I love my Gen 8. ILo4 is the most robust feature of all. It is well worth the price.

would you advise a gen8 over the whitebox (above)?

DaMenace

I stand firm on the Gen8. I like these because they just work. Ilo4 advanced is purchased separately and well worth the minor cost. I have three of these and have installed 5 at customers office and home locations. I hope this helps ADOBO.

adobo

I stand firm on the Gen8. I like these because they just work. Ilo4 advanced is purchased separately and well worth the minor cost. I have three of these and have installed 5 at customers office and home locations. I hope this helps ADOBO.

Great stuff!...just ordered my gen8 with a 1265L v2 and 16GB ECC RAM, with an iLo licence. (slightly more expensive, for a server with 1/2 the RAM, but hopefully this should perform much more efficiently)

• Like 1

DaMenace

You do need to install an SSD for the OS.