Methen

What is the purpose of the server?

To run my own private websites

I will be running message boards live chat

and possibly videos in short just the general stuff

To run my own private websites

I will be running message boards live chat

and possibly videos in short just the general stuff

So you are talking about a full blown business type server?

So you are talking about a full blown business type server?

as long as we are we are staying with in a 12 hundred dollar limit

sure and something that will use a 120 out let.

Are you set on having your own server? You could always use a virtual server.

Sadly I have no choice, all web host (including off shore) choose to violate peoples freedom of speech one way or the other and that is something I simply will not put up with.

Edited by Methen

Any good server from Dell or HP is going to be dual voltage so rule that out of your issues. The biggest unanswered question is your existing storage space, if any. These high end servers all use SCSI or the newer SAS drives which spin at anywhere from 10k to 15k RPM. Those little puppies can get expensive in a hurry for nut much space.

You might be better served (no pun intended) at looking at something like a Dell PE T110 which uses regular SATA drives and I think Dell has a special for one wtih 2 GB RAM and no drives or OS for ~$325. It has an i3 chip so power consumption will not be a killer. It is not a rack mount but rather a traditional style case.

I mean something that uses a 220 voltage like what your stove uses

I seen a dell server one that had two power supplys where each uses a 120 out let that I have no problem with.

if that is what you mean by dual voltage

I mean something that uses a 220 voltage like what your stove uses

I seen a dell server one that had two power supplys where each uses a 120 out let that I have no problem with.

if that is what you mean by dual voltage

He was simply referring to the fact that the power supplies in modern computers can run on either 110V or 220V AC power. They are designed to automatically detect the voltage and step it down accordingly. From that standpoint you will probably not find a server that is only able to operate only using 220VAC power.

Any good server from Dell or HP is going to be dual voltage so rule that out of your issues. The biggest unanswered question is your existing storage space, if any. These high end servers all use SCSI or the newer SAS drives which spin at anywhere from 10k to 15k RPM. Those little puppies can get expensive in a hurry for nut much space.

You might be better served (no pun intended) at looking at something like a Dell PE T110 which uses regular SATA drives and I think Dell has a special for one wtih 2 GB RAM and no drives or OS for ~$325. It has an i3 chip so power consumption will not be a killer. It is not a rack mount but rather a traditional style case.

I mean something that uses a 220 voltage like a electric stove uses

if that is what you mean by dual voltage.

No...dual voltage means it will use either a 110 volt or 240 volt service. The two power supplies are there for redundency.

well it would have to be the 110 one then

Edited by Methen

Please do not use your back button to go back and edit a post...it ends up posting twice. I already deleted one duplicate and another just showed up. I will remove any that are duplicates but if you could refrain from doing it, it will make my job easier.