RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RS815 Discontinued/Successor?

JROrtiz

I've been planning on replacing my Drobo 5N with a Synology RS815 as I have slowly been migrating my networking setup to a rack solution. I was about to finally place my order with B&H and the listing shows it as discontinued. Amazon and Newegg still have it in stock but I'm wondering if it is truly being discontinued and should wait for its successor or if the line as a whole is being killed in favor of their plus model. Anyone happen to have any insight?

HellDiverUK

The 815 was a bit of a weird config - why a 4-bay rack unit with a feeble Marvell CPU?  Why not go for the 815+ that has an Intel CPU, so can do btrfs and can run a lot more apps?

• Like 1
itGeeks

The 815 was a bit of a weird config - why a 4-bay rack unit with a feeble Marvell CPU?  Why not go for the 815+ that has an Intel CPU, so can do btrfs and can run a lot more apps?

Agreed, The btrfs file system alone is well worth it but man to spend that much for a 4 bay rack is insane when you can get the DS-1815+ that is an 8 bay for slightly less. I have two DS-1815+ and I absolutely love them. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P3RPMEO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=IQN1M7N5XR5E6&psc=1

Edited by itGeeks

The price difference is too large for me to justify the jump. Don't really need much power since I don't plan to run many apps. Already have a separate Plex server and run VPN through my router so mostly looking to use it as a file server with the remote access and backup features. The Marvell should suit me just fine. I did look at the 815+ and almost went that route but decided to use that money towards storage drives for the 815. 

Agreed, The btrfs file system alone is well worth it but man to spend that much for a 4 bay rack is insane when you can get the DS-1815+ that is an 8 bay for slightly less. I have two DS-1815+ and I absolutely love them. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P3RPMEO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=IQN1M7N5XR5E6&psc=1

I really want a rackmount solution to keep everything nice and clean. I know I'm paying a premium but I'm okay with that to get the rackmount form factor. Especially the 815 since it doesn't require a full-length slot. 

Someone on Reddit mentioned that there was an RS817 on display at Computex though no ETA on release. Given the discontinued label at B&H and low stock remaining at Amazon, I'm just going to sit tight with my Drobo 5N and wait for more info on the new model.

Edited by JoseROrtiz
  • 5 weeks later...