RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need advice- replacing my HTPC

itGeeks

1 crash. Doing a proactive replacement of PSU tomorrow

So is it better then it was?

Have you checked the errer logs to see if there is any clue what causing the crash?

Did you check the CPU temps like I recommended last time? One of my favorite programs for this is HWmonitor it's free http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Please check the temps of all Cores.

Did you check the motherboard for any swollen capacitors? Sorry I forgot to have you do this last time when you had the case open :unsure:

Bulging or leaking capacitors on a motherboard can cause:

1) no effect at all

2) freezes

3) reboots

4) failure to boot, especially when motherboard is cold

I've seen all of those.

Edited by itGeeks
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rgreenpc

• itGeeks

• psykix

• schoondoggy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look at the TS-451+ from QNAP.  I have the previous TS451 and love.  I have 5.5T of movies on it and is the repository for my plex server.  It will handle your time machine needs as well.     https

So is it better then it was?

Have you checked the errer logs to see if there is any clue what causing the crash?

Did you check the CPU temps like I recommended last time? One of my favorite programs for this is HWmonitor it's free http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Please check the temps of all Cores.

Did you check the motherboard for any swollen capacitors?

Bulging or leaking capacitors on a motherboard can cause:

1) no effect at all

2) freezes

3) reboots

4) failure to boot, especially when motherboard is cold

I've seen all of those.

CPU temps are around 30c on average.

I didn't actually do a physical inspection. I will of course when I do the tear down.

Just had one lockup since last we spoke.

The only error is he dreaded error 41

itGeeks

CPU temps are around 30c on average.

I didn't actually do a physical inspection. I will of course when I do the tear down.

Just had one lockup since last we spoke.

The only error is he dreaded error 41

Thanks for the quick update. Sorry I cant remember how many times the system use to reboot in the same amount of time. Is the system better now after everything we did last time?

CPU temps look great, Is the same temps across all Cores + or - a bit? Should not be a drastic difference across all cores.

As for the error is this system setup to sleep after a certain amount of time? If yes disable 'Sleep' and retest before changing parts.

Edited by itGeeks
itGeeks

Thanks for the quick update. Sorry I cant remember how many times the system use to reboot in the same amount of time. Is the system better now after everything we did last time?

CPU temps look great, Is the same temps across all Cores + or - a bit? Should not be a drastic difference across all cores.

As for the error is this system setup to sleep after a certain amount of time? If yes disable 'Sleep' and retest before changing parts.

Just to be clear please check your power setting and make sure 'sleep' is set to never and 'turn of hard drives' is set to never, Then reboot and see what happens. Just trying to make sure we leave no rock UN-turned before spending money on hardware.

I did that and have yet to see a crash.

How much more stress am I putting on the internal HDDs by leaving them turning?

itGeeks

I did that and have yet to see a crash.

How much more stress am I putting on the internal HDDs by leaving them turning?

Glad to here I may have solved your problem. As for sleep settings I have a love hate relationship with using sleep that said you never want to use sleep on a server EVER because it can cause all kinds of weird things and after all its a server rite? So you want all its resources available on request. Leaving the HDD turning all the time is just like leaving your car engine running all the time at may where out quicker because its always spinning but honestly I would not stress about it. I personally don't use any of the power saving setting unless its a laptop because of the problems it has caused or could cause me.  

Spoke to soon... it died this afternoon.

Looks like I will perform a power supply-ectomy in the AM

Edited by rgreenpc

OK I couldn't wait and replaced the power supply... will keep you all updated. If this doesn't work I will go to Best Buy and buy a i5 PC to replace it

itGeeks

Spoke to soon... it died this afternoon.

Looks like I will perform a power supply-ectomy in the AM

So sorry to hear that I really thought we had it licked, It does sound like it is much better after the change we made to the power setting though? Please just keep this in mind if this is any kind of server for your network and it does not matter if it is a server SKU or not you never want the system to sleep or power down or turn off any hardware in the system or it could and probably will cause you problems, Set the power plan on performance and drill down and make sure nothing powers off or spins down because you want this servers resources available 24 hours a day 7 days a week to serve clients. A true server OS will not even let you setup the system for sleep so keep this in mind going forward.

Tomorrow before you change the PSU please don't forget to check the motherboard for swollen/bulging/leaking capacitors, If you find anything like this the motherboard is shot and needs replacement before moving forward. Now this does not mean your PSU is also not bad but a motherboard that has  swollen/bulging/leaking capacitors is a clear indication the motherboard is shot and needs to be replaced first. After inspecting the motherboard all the components look good I would suggest only three brands of PSU to use as the replacement in no particular order as they are all good Cooler Master, Corsair, Sea Sonic, I have built many systems with all three manufactures and never had a problem with them. I prefer the modular power supply's so the system is not cluttered with unused cables but that's up to you.

FYI the capacitors should be nice and round and the tops should be flat if any of the capacitors are not this way replace the motherboard first and retest before changing the PSU.

Hope this info helps....

OK I couldn't wait and replaced the power supply... will keep you all updated. If this doesn't work I will go to Best Buy and buy a i5 PC to replace it

Did you check the motherboard first?

What brand of PSU did you use?

Edited by itGeeks

So sorry to hear that I really thought we had it licked, It does sound like it is much better after the change we made to the power setting though? Please just keep this in mind if this is any kind of server for your network and it does not matter if it is a server SKU or not you never want the system to sleep or power down or turn off any hardware in the system or it could and probably will cause you problems, Set the power plan on performance and drill down and make sure nothing powers off or spins down because you want this servers resources available 24 hours a day 7 days a week to serve clients. A true server OS will not even let you setup the system for sleep so keep this in mind going forward.

Tomorrow before you change the PSU please don't forget to check the motherboard for swollen/bulging/leaking capacitors, If you find anything like this the motherboard is shot and needs replacement before moving forward. Now this does not mean your PSU is also not bad but a motherboard that has  swollen/bulging/leaking capacitors is a clear indication the motherboard is shot and needs to be replaced first. After inspecting the motherboard all the components look good I would suggest only three brands of PSU to use as the replacement in no particular order as they are all good Cooler Master, Corsair, Sea Sonic, I have built many systems with all three manufactures and never had a problem with them. I prefer the modular power supply's so the system is not cluttered with unused cables but that's up to you.

FYI the capacitors should be nice and round and the tops should be flat if any of the capacitors are not this way replace the motherboard first and retest before changing the PSU.

Hope this info helps....

Did you check the motherboard first?

What brand of PSU did you use?

I did check the Motherboard and no evidence of any capacitor issues...

I went with a Corsair unit 500W