RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need advice- replacing my HTPC

rgreenpc

What brand and model is your SSD? Have you ever updated the firmware on the SSD? When it hangs during boot does it find the SSD? Sorry for all of the question, but I had a similar boot hang and reboot issue. Turned out to be an issue with the SSD. Firmware update on the SSD fixed the issue.

Its an INTEL 330 - SSDSC2CT12 and no I havent

Now I have checked the firmware on the SSD, its current and drive diagnostics show it all good.

OK good keep going, How did the memory test go? Please don't forget to answer my questions above. Just take it one step at a time the way I outlined it so the testing stays controlled and we will try and get to the bottom of your trouble.

Edited by itGeeks

OK keep going, How did the memory test go?

WIN10 Memory said no errors detected, but I just reseated just to be sure.

I have to say I haven't had a lockup in about 10 days now.

Edited by rgreenpc

WIN10 Memory said no errors detected, but I just reseated just to be sure.

I have to say I haven't had a lockup in about 10 days now.

Perfect. all cooling fans in the case are working? Y your in there make sure to blowout all the dust and test the power suply per the link I provided http://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Power-Supply

Once all that is done and testing shows good you can seal up the case for now.

Edited by itGeeks

All done and we will see if/when it goes down I will check logs

Nice job, Glad everything check out. Or am I? At least now we know the bios and SSD firmware are up to date, The SSD, memory, power supply all checkout and now you have a clean case. So where does that leave us? well it is now confirmed its a intermittent problem that we may have cleared by unplugging all the cables from the power supply and removing the memory and reseating everything, Lets hope but there still could be a problem with CPU overheating and or a component on the mother board that is bad. I should of had you look for signs of any swelling on the mother board parts but I forgot, Keep that in mind to check for swelling if you still have problems and if there is swelling of parts on the mother board then MB is shot.

Please check the CPU temps and let me know what they are? I prefer using a program called CPU HWMonitor for this http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.29.exe

Check the core temps and also make sure that some core temps are not a lot higher then others as that would indicate your thermal compound needs to be cleaned reapplied