RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need advice- replacing my HTPC

rgreenpc

OK so the short answer to my question "Have you tested Plex media server on the Shield yet yourself?" is no, Correct? I am not trying to start a argument with you here and you are entitled to your thoughts as am I but I do believe the Shield has the power to provide the 2-3 streams that both Plex and NVIDIA has said even though there maybe bugs in the first firmware that supports Plex media server. The Shield could be an elegant solution for small family's needing to stream there movies from an all-in-one solution to 1-3 devices. It sounds like you are like me in your thought's, As soon as you ask me what do I think about hardware to use 4 a Plex media server and I need real-time trans-coding I would suggest nothing less then a Core i5 but the promise of the Shield though I have not tested it myself may change that. You can't judge without personal testing. I will be the judge of what the Shield can and can't do after I personally test it with Plex. As I said I take what I read with a grain of salt unless I really trust hew is testing and those people are slim at best. If you own the Shield Pro version and want to install Plex media server and test what it can and can't do and post your review then I would more likly respect what you have to offer other then that the advice is vaporware at best. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

This made me smile. You do need to take a chill pill from time to time!

I was trying to help - I read a lot and was imparting my observations from the other forums that I read. You have an unhealthy habit of jumping on people who post things you disagree with. If you don't like it, then just walk on by.

This made me smile. You do need to take a chill pill from time to time!

I was trying to help - I read a lot and was imparting my observations from the other forums that I read. You have an unhealthy habit of jumping on people who post things you disagree with. If you don't like it, then just walk on by.

`I am sorry I don't mean to sound like I am jumping on you or anyone else. I was simply trying to make my point though I can see how you would of taken my response in a unhealthy way. The forums are a great place with a wealth of grate information because of people like us that take the time to post in a friendly manor. That said we all have a different skill level as well as strong points and weak points about us, My weak point is my writing I struggle more times then not trying to convey my message in a short none intrusive polite way so please forgive me as I mean no harm to you or anyone else here.

On trying to clear the air that has seemed to get us on the wrong foot please allow me to try and explain my response in a way that does not seem like I am jumping on you. I had asked a question if you tried Plex media server on the Shield and you had responded to me in a way that sounded like you did not and I was just trying to make sure I was correct in my thinking, I then responded with I am a hands on type of guy and like to test things for myself though I do also read what people are saying about a product and I will use it as a tool in the deciding factor I don't put my full trust in everything I read. I have tried many products that seem to have a bad rap only to be very satisfied with the product. There are many variables as you know y people could be having trouble with tech. I hope I have cleared up what I was trying to say yesterday in a polite way so we can continue being forum friends.. :)

Edited by itGeeks

My wife said to me in passing... "why don't you figure out why the computer crashes instead of replacing a working PC"

Sad when she reads (yeah she reads what we all post) and says why buy stuff you don't need.

Fix the box or at least try.

Makes perfectly good sense to me providing its up to the task at hand, What are the specs of the computer crashing?

What exactly is the computer doing?

`I am sorry I don't mean to sound like I am jumping on you or anyone else. I was simply trying to make my point though I can see how you would of taken my response in a unhealthy way. The forums are a great place with a wealth of grate information because of people like us that take the time to post in a friendly manor. That said we all have a different skill level as well as strong points and weak points about us, My weak point is my writing I struggle more times then not trying to convey my message in a short none intrusive polite way so please forgive me as I mean no harm to you or anyone else here.

On trying to clear the air that has seemed to get us on the wrong foot please allow me to try and explain my response in a way that does not seem like I am jumping on you. I had asked a question if you tried Plex media server on the Shield and you had responded to me in a way that sounded like you did not and I was just trying to make sure I was correct in my thinking, I then responded with I am a hands on type of guy and like to test things for myself though I do also read what people are saying about a product and I will use it as a tool in the deciding factor I don't put my full trust in everything I read. I have tried many products that seem to have a bad rap only to be very satisfied with the product. There are many variables as you know y people could be having trouble with tech. I hope I have cleared up what I was trying to say yesterday in a polite way so we can continue being forum friends.. :)

I just don't want anyone to go buying a 16Gb Shield TV thinking it is the perfect box for a PMS server - it has at least 2 serious showstopping flaws.

A) skips every 84th item in your library, so they never get added - this may get fixed.

B) only stores metadata etc on the internal memory, even if you have added an SD card or USB drive and configured it as internal memory. Large libraries then have the consequence of crashing the Shield TV. The jury is out on whether this is something that is likely to get fixed.

The 84th item thing is not a Plex issue, but a Samba implementation issue on the Shield, and it affects both models (16Gb & 500Gb)

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/223458/cant-add-more-than-487-movies-to-my-library/p1

Edited by psykix

I just don't want anyone to go buying a 16Gb Shield TV thinking it is the perfect box for a PMS server - it has at least 2 serious showstopping flaws.

A) skips every 84th item in your library, so they never get added - this may get fixed.

B) only stores metadata etc on the internal memory, even if you have added an SD card or USB drive and configured it as internal memory. Large libraries then have the consequence of crashing the Shield TV. The jury is out on whether this is something that is likely to get fixed.

The 84th item thing is not a Plex issue, but a Samba implementation issue on the Shield, and it affects both models (16Gb & 500Gb)

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/223458/cant-add-more-than-487-movies-to-my-library/p1

Agreed, I almost purchased the 16GB model so your info came in time to save me from making that mistake so thank you for that. When I test it I will purchase the 500GB model. Another valuable read also confirming most of the shortfalls you describe here https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/221099648

Makes perfectly good sense to me providing its up to the task at hand, What are the specs of the computer crashing?

What exactly is the computer doing?

It's an i5-2500k with 12GB of RAM with an intel D67 motherboard. With a 250GB SSD and. 4TB drive (was my HTPC)

As for what it's doing, it will randomly reboot and just hang at he bios screen which is requiring me to walk to my server room (yeah she let me build one in the new house) and turn the box off then on again.

It's an i5-2500k with 12GB of RAM with an intel D67 motherboard. With a 250GB SSD and. 4TB drive (was my HTPC)

As for what it's doing, it will randomly reboot and just hang at he bios screen which is requiring me to walk to my server room (yeah she let me build one in the new house) and turn the box off then on again.

What OS is on it?

Do you have the latest bios installed?

What startup programs do you have?

Anything connected to this box?

I would also run a memory check to make sure its good.

Power supply's going bad could also cause this.

Also double check the boot order in the bios and make sure its correct.

I would also test the health of the hard drive.

Also make sure all drivers are up to date, I use a free program called 'Driver Booster' I no some frown on the use of these types of programs but it has never hosed my system and makes updating driver a painless. One word of caution when you install make sure you uncheck the additional programs made by the company so they don't get installed. http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

If all else fails send wife to get her nails done and start ordering :P  :D

Edited by itGeeks

What OS is on it?

Also make sure all drivers are up to date, I use a free program called 'Driver Booster' I no some frown on the use of these types of programs but it has never hosed my system and makes updating driver a painless. One word of caution when you install make sure you uncheck the additional programs made by the company so they don't get installed. http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

Windows 10

Latest BIOS ( no updates in a year)

No Startup programs except PLEX

Nothing connected to this box

I will check memory

Not sure how I would ever know if the power supply is bad, I guess I can check log files but those take forever

Boot Order is correct - mounts C drive first

I did Install driver booster ( I did make sure everything was unchecked) It did find several drivers out of date... So we shall see if that fixes it.

What OS is on it?

Windows 10

I will check memory

Not sure how I would ever know if the power supply is bad, I guess I can check log files but those take forever

I did Install driver booster ( I did make sure everything was unchecked) It did find several drivers out of date... So we shall see if that fixes it.

Thanks for the detailed info. From what your saying it is failing post so if the boot order is correct in the bios then I feel it's a hardware problem. so keeping that in mind lets continue.

How often does it reboot?

When you power it off and power back on and Windows comes up does Windows say anything that updates where installed correctly? Trying to see if it only reboots when Windows update runs and installs updates.

What is the make and model of your SSD?

Does it have a utility for checking the SSD hard drive health and checking for new firmware updates for the drive? I need you to check the drive for error and firmware.

Windows 10 has a memory checker built in just in case you did not know so run that, The computer will need to reboot.

As for checking your power supply, Here is a link on instructions on how to do it without testing tools http://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Power-Supply I use a professional kit by PC-Doctor called 'Service Center' but it cost money, there are two versions available 329.00 and 449.00 respectfully I have the 449.00 version and there is nothing it does not test but for a one time repair you won't want to spend it http://www.pcdservicecenter.com/

After you do all the things above that I said and everything passes then I would like you to remove the memory and reseat it, Sometimes just removing and reseating the memory wiill fix this kind of problem. Also before you put the case cover back on blow out all the dust and power on the computer and check to make sure all your cooling fans are working. Without the proper test kit that I use it will be trial end error with manual testing but we should be able to narrow it down with what we have to work with.

Edited by itGeeks

What OS is on it?

Also make sure all drivers are up to date, I use a free program called 'Driver Booster' I no some frown on the use of these types of programs but it has never hosed my system and makes updating driver a painless. One word of caution when you install make sure you uncheck the additional programs made by the company so they don't get installed. http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

If all else fails send wife to get her nails done and start ordering :P:D

Windows 10

I will check memory

What brand and model is your SSD? Have you ever updated the firmware on the SSD? When it hangs during boot does it find the SSD? Sorry for all of the question, but I had a similar boot hang and reboot issue. Turned out to be an issue with the SSD. Firmware update on the SSD fixed the issue.