RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need advice- replacing my HTPC

rgreenpc

Interesting. Maybe I just get a NUC or similar. I usually am transcoding one stream to the kid's iPad at most. Everything else is direct play.

An Intel NUC is a great choice for a Plex media server but I would do nothing less then Core i5 with a Samsung 840/850 Pro SSD if real-time trans-coding is needed.

Before you go jumping to a Shield TV as a Plex Server, have a read around. There are many many people unhappy with the PMS side of things, amongst other complaints.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/949590/shield-android-tv/what-have-you-done-with-this-3-2-crap-part-2/

I have a Shield TV, but just continue to use it as my client, and my Gen8 (E3-1265LV2) as my server.

I suspect the Shield TV is ok when mainly direct playing, be interesting to hear how it fares with multiple transcoded streams.

Very disappointing, I had high hopes for the Shield with Plex media server on it. As a test have you tried Plex media server on yours? If not would you mind testing it an sharing the results with us? I do still want to try the Shield as a front end for Plex.

Here is what NVidea said to me about a month ago when I asked about real-time trans-coding

"Thank you for your patience.

You can watch Plex + Transcode 1 Video + Direct Stream another one.

Also note that the experience will vary based on the network and bitrate of the content.

Best Regards,

Subhanshu, 

NVIDIA Customer Care"

Edited by itGeeks

I'll be honest - I have no desire to have PMS on my Shield TV!

I have a pretty big library so trying it out on the Shield would be a pain.

Also there is a problem with PMS on the Shield TV at the moment, whereby every 84th file is missing in the library.

I'm sticking with my Windows 10 VM on my Gen8!

Been reading the NUC isn't the best idea - I have useful I5 I could use along with. sSd

Guess I just need a case and motherboard.

Been reading the NUC isn't the best idea - I have useful I5 I could use along with. sSd

Guess I just need a case and motherboard.

Would you mind posting the links to what you read and y you think NUC's don't make a good Plex media server? I respectfully disagree with that said care is to be taken in selecting the correct hardware.

What is the model of your i5 that your thinking about using? All core i3/i5/i7 are not equal

What type of media are we talking about streaming? SD Movies, Blu-Rays, Ect.

How many devices will you be streaming to at the same time?

Of those devices how many need real-time trans-coding vs direct-play?

Of the devices needing real-time trans-coding how many of those devices will be streaming BD rips vs SD 720p?

Edited by itGeeks

For anyone else thinking of using a Shield TV as a Plex Media Server, there is a serious issue with the 16Gb version if you have a large media library :-

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/221099648

In particular the orange bit in the Server Data Requirements :- it's causing the devices to crash once the internal memory is full.

I'm glad I didn't try it on mine, as I would have hit exactly this issue.

Would you mind posting the links to what you read and y you think NUC's don't make a good Plex media server? I respectfully disagree with that said care is to be taken in selecting the correct hardware.

What is the model of your i5 that your thinking about using? All core i3/i5/i7 are not equal

Of the devices needing real-time trans-coding how many of those devices will be streaming BD rips vs SD 720p?

It was on the plex forums. I am sure they were referring to underpowered boxes.

My i5 is. 3 years old but does a great job when it is working.

I get random crashes where it doesn't reboot.

It was on the plex forums. I am sure they were referring to underpowered boxes.

My i5 is. 3 years old but does a great job when it is working.

I get random crashes where it doesn't reboot.

Thanks for the info, Would you mind providing all the answer to my questions above so I can better help you? Telling me that you have a core i5 from three years ago does not tell me anything.

Edited by itGeeks

For anyone else thinking of using a Shield TV as a Plex Media Server, there is a serious issue with the 16Gb version if you have a large media library :-

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/221099648

In particular the orange bit in the Server Data Requirements :- it's causing the devices to crash once the internal memory is full.

I'm glad I didn't try it on mine, as I would have hit exactly this issue.

Thank you very much for this info. Thank god I did not purchase the Shield in the beginning of the month like I was hopping because I was getting the 16GB version as all my media is on my NAS. NVIDIA really needs to fix there FAQ's ASAP. https://shield.nvidia.com/support/nvidia-android-tv/faq/1#plex

Maybe that's y so many seem to be complaining that Plex does not work. Nice catch thanks for the heads up, Its a shame I have to order the Pro version when all my media is on my NAS but I guess it is what it is. I am still planing on trying one out to see how much better it is then using Windows 10.

Edited by itGeeks

Thanks for the info, Would you mind providing all the answer to my questions above so I can better help you? Telling me that you have a core i5 from three years ago does not tell me anything.

Currently my server is using an i5-2500K

I stream my BD rips 

Never more than 2

I do direct play when able

All my transcoding is from BD as I don't want to store multiple copies of movies.