RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Vail Media Streaming to a Set-Top Box

McCormic

Has anyone experienced issues streaming Vail media content to a set-top box?

My Samsung BD-P3600 Blu-ray player played media flawlessly from my WHS ver.1 box. I haven't had any luck streaming from Vail. The Blu-ray player uses Windows XP/Vista simple file sharing to stream media; apparently Vail uses other DLNA compatible methods.

When browsing media folders through the Blu-ray menu, I can see the folders, but not the files. Accessing the files from client PCs works fine.

Apparently, Samsung has promised a firmware upgrade that works with Windows 7 and hopefully Vail. I’m not holding my breath.

BD-P3600 Streaming Troubleshooting Link

You mention that Vail uses "other" DLNA compatible methods. Reading through that link real quick, it looks like the issue is the original implementation was not DLNA compliant but instead used a file sharing method that existed in XP. I have also read that there is no standards to test DLNA compliant (meaning there can be some interoperability issues).

However, VAIL has the ability to stream to a DLNA client but some of the functions are disabled in the Beta (at least the first version).

You mention that Vail uses "other" DLNA compatible methods. Reading through that link real quick, it looks like the issue is the original implementation was not DLNA compliant but instead used a file sharing method that existed in XP. I have also read that there is no standards to test DLNA compliant (meaning there can be some interoperability issues).

However, VAIL has the ability to stream to a DLNA client but some of the functions are disabled in the Beta (at least the first version).

A miswording on my part... I don't think DLNA compliance was considered for my Blu-ray player or WHS ver. 1. My 3-year old player now uses "legacy" file sharing technology.

By messing with the Vail sharing properties directly (as we have all been warned not to do), I was able to get the Blu-ray to play the shared media. Of course, I broke Vail’s file sharing permissions in the process. User access to folders became intermittent and I ended up doing a reinstall. At least it gives me hope.

Unfortunately, I justified building a server to my wife for its media sharing ability to our TV's. I probably have a day or two before she notices. :unsure: