RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
qtopplings

Double Router Configuation / Questions

qtopplings

The reason you had problems with your Netgear in router mode is because you can't have to routers on the same network, Each router needs to be on a different subnet. For example the ATT could be on the 192.168.1.x network and the Netgear should by on the 192.168.2.x network otherwise you will see all kinds of problems like you saw. I have FiOs and I need to keep there router in place so what I do is create a DMZ on the FiOs router and hang Luma or any other router you want off it, I would put all your devices on Luma and just let your ISP router serve whats need like STB's/IP Phones Ect.

What is the make/model of the router ATT gave you?

Is this it? https://www.att.com/accessories/specialty-items/pace-dsl-gateway-model-4111n.html#sku=sku5520238

I did a little digging see if the ATT has the DMZ settings by following below-

click SettingsFirewall, and Applications, Pinholes and DMZ.

It's the ARRIS NVG599.   It doesn't seem to have DMZ settings, but does have cascaded router settings.

Cascaded Router Enable: When enabled, indicates another router will be behind this device.

Cascaded Router Address: The IP address for the router behind this device. The Cascaded Router Address should be in the LAN Private IP subnet range. Use 0.0.0.0 if IP Passthrough is enabled to have the cascaded router get the IP Passthrough address.

Network Address: The Network Address that defines the range of IP addresses available to clients of the cascaded router.

Subnet Mask: The subnet mask that with the Network Address defines the range of IP addresses available to clients of the cascaded router.

There is also an IP Passthrough option.

So I'm assuming I would use this either with or without IP passthrough mode?     And I would have to put the first Luma in the access panel in the closet, and connect the out ethernet to the switch feeding the rest of the house.  Maybe the speed wouldn't be too bad in there considering I'll have 2 more wired through ethernet backhaul in strategic places in the house.  And this would allow the IPTV to work on 1st network and everything else on Luma network?   I  might just call ATT for help on this too.

nguyendot

I have the NVG599 FTTH. I did IP passthrough to my firewall (SonicWALL) and also disabled the firewall for that MAC address. It's as close to bridge mode as you get, and as far as I can see there is no double NAT.

itGeeks

It's the ARRIS NVG599.   It doesn't seem to have DMZ settings, but does have cascaded router settings.

Cascaded Router Enable: When enabled, indicates another router will be behind this device.

Cascaded Router Address: The IP address for the router behind this device. The Cascaded Router Address should be in the LAN Private IP subnet range. Use 0.0.0.0 if IP Passthrough is enabled to have the cascaded router get the IP Passthrough address.

Network Address: The Network Address that defines the range of IP addresses available to clients of the cascaded router.

Subnet Mask: The subnet mask that with the Network Address defines the range of IP addresses available to clients of the cascaded router.

There is also an IP Passthrough option.

So I'm assuming I would use this either with or without IP passthrough mode?     And I would have to put the first Luma in the access panel in the closet, and connect the out ethernet to the switch feeding the rest of the house.  Maybe the speed wouldn't be too bad in there considering I'll have 2 more wired through ethernet backhaul in strategic places in the house.  And this would allow the IPTV to work on 1st network and everything else on Luma network?   I  might just call ATT for help on this too.

Check for the DMZ settings under the firewall tab, The specs say it supports Virtual-DMZ/IP Pass-Through

nguyendot

Check for the DMZ settings under the firewall tab, The specs say it supports Virtual-DMZ/IP Pass-Through

It does, I have this setup at home. I can screenshot it when I get there if anyone wants. 

itGeeks

It does, I have this setup at home. I can screenshot it when I get there if anyone wants. 

Thanks for confirming what I found for the OP, Now he can setup Eero/Luma the correct way. Maybe if you could post a screenshot for the OP it may help.

nguyendot

Worked on this all night, let me see if I can pull them. On another note - the gateways even in this quasi-bridge/passthrough mode still are restricted to the 1024 session nat table on the Arris modem :(

nguyendot

Here's the result... the stupid lan ip address allocation page won't load for me right now.

uverse_nat_1.jpg

qtopplings

Here's the result... the stupid lan ip address allocation page won't load for me right now.

Thank you so much for confirming this works.   Can you please take a screenshot of the IP passthrough page with the option you used?    Also did you set up the cascaded router option?

And after doing this, the DVR/TV is ok on its on port and everything else is coming off the IP passthru into your firewall?    Do you have any wifi additional receivers, and how did you set them up?  Are they behind your firewall?

nguyendot

If my page will ever load (i'm not at home) I will get it for you. 

So this is how I have it set up:

Fiber > FTTP > Arris Modem (AC1900 one) > SonicWALL NSA2400 > Dell PowerConnect 5524 

Cox > Cisco Docsis 3.0 Modem > SonicWALL NSA 2400 WAN2 

Load Balanced spillover 

Arris Wifi turned off

IP Passthrough done on the "Lan IP Address Allocation" Page. Device: xxxxx mac address, Firewall Disabled, Address Assignment: Public (Select WAN IP Mapping)

Then:

1) Arris Modem > Netgear 5 Port gigE > Cisco/Arris IPTV boxes for Uverse (and coax HPNA too). This multicasts so I keep it off my main switch. They all pull DHCP from the Arris' DHCP pool. Bleh.

2) PowerConnect 5524 > POE Injector > Ruckus R500 AP

3) PowerConnect 5524 > POE Injector > Ruckus 7055 AP

4) PowerConnect 5524 > POE Injector > AeroHive AP130 (testing)

5) Arris Modem > Check Point 3200 Appliance > PowerConnect 5524 on different subnet (for testing)

Cascaded router is not used. I don't really think it does anything, especially since I do direct pass through.

The downside is you can never fully bypass the NAT table in the Arris modem, which is limited to 1024 sessions. You can bypass it with a LOT of work, but I don't want to do all those steps.

• Like 1

qtopplings

Thanks again!   You have quite the impressive set up...is this for home use?  

If you have a few min, could you please read my OP and let me know if you have any suggestions for how I can set things up differently?    My main concern is that I would have to put the main Luma/Eero router inside of the access panel in my closet, where now I have my Netgear R7000 in my office and connected to the ATT router through ethernet.   I would have to put the Luma in the closet so that all of the non IPTV traffic flows into that router first.   And by putting it in the closet, it is going to reduce signal.

It doesn't seem like there is any way to have the Luma in my office, with it's own wifi network, while the hardwired jacks in all of the other rooms are coming off of the ATT router/DHCP.  Devices on those separate networks would not be able to talk to each other.

Thanks, I really appreciate all of the help!