RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
qtopplings

Double Router Configuation / Questions

qtopplings

Hi, first post here!

I'm another unhappy pre-order customer (end of January), that feels slighted by the shipping issues and vaporware.  Especially after listening to the interview with Dr. Judge.  He basically BS'd that all of these features are available, and they are NOT.   The main one for me is lack of bridge mode.  Unfortunately I think I need to run my wifi as an access point only, and Luma does not offer that option.   Support just told me they are working on it, but apparently have issues enabling it.   If its not available by the end of my return period, I will have to send it back.   I guess my question is, can I set up the Luma as a second network with it's own DNS?   I have gigabit internet service through AT&T, and they say that their router must supply IP's  (TV/DVR run off one port).   I also have all of my rooms wired, so the main ATT router is in a closet with an 8 port switch.  Not putting a Luma in an access panel in my closet!!

I currently have an R7000 plugged into a jack in my office, and then a switch coming out of that for Sonos, Smartthings, hardwired macs/laptops.   If I replaced the Netgear with a Luma (but plugged it into the switch), I think this would cause conflicts and mess up my Sonos, as my phones would be on the Luma network and not the ATT router network.   I really hope they fix this soon.

Here is what support told me:

I would be happy to answer your questions!

1) Ethernet backhaul is available for use.   (this seems to conflict with reports here)

2) The Luma is not capable of being set up with an existing network. Due to the way the Luma sets itself up, a separate SSID and password from any existing networks is required, and a bridge mode is not available as of yet. There is no timeframe available on that feature yet.

3) The ability to monitor the dataflow of individual devices on your network has not been implemented as of yet, but will be soon. Other than that, our content filtering and security controls are in place and ready to go.

I also have a discount code from Eero.  I am thinking of that instead, since they support bridge/port forwarding.  I can always add Circle if I need content filtering in the future.

• Like 1

schoondoggy

Hi, first post here!

I'm another unhappy pre-order customer (end of January), that feels slighted by the shipping issues and vaporware.  Especially after listening to the interview with Dr. Judge.  He basically BS'd that all of these features are available, and they are NOT.   The main one for me is lack of bridge mode.  Unfortunately I think I need to run my wifi as an access point only, and Luma does not offer that option.   Support just told me they are working on it, but apparently have issues enabling it.   If its not available by the end of my return period, I will have to send it back.   I guess my question is, can I set up the Luma as a second network with it's own DNS?   I have gigabit internet service through AT&T, and they say that their router must supply IP's  (TV/DVR run off one port).   I also have all of my rooms wired, so the main ATT router is in a closet with an 8 port switch.  Not putting a Luma in an access panel in my closet!!

I currently have an R7000 plugged into a jack in my office, and then a switch coming out of that for Sonos, Smartthings, hardwired macs/laptops.   If I replaced the Netgear with a Luma (but plugged it into the switch), I think this would cause conflicts and mess up my Sonos, as my phones would be on the Luma network and not the ATT router network.   I really hope they fix this soon.

Here is what support told me:

I would be happy to answer your questions!

1) Ethernet backhaul is available for use.   (this seems to conflict with reports here)

2) The Luma is not capable of being set up with an existing network. Due to the way the Luma sets itself up, a separate SSID and password from any existing networks is required, and a bridge mode is not available as of yet. There is no timeframe available on that feature yet.

3) The ability to monitor the dataflow of individual devices on your network has not been implemented as of yet, but will be soon. Other than that, our content filtering and security controls are in place and ready to go.

I also have a discount code from Eero.  I am thinking of that instead, since they support bridge/port forwarding.  I can always add Circle if I need content filtering in the future.

Currently, is your WiFi coming from the ATT router or the R7000? Does your ATT router have a DMZ port? From what you have described so far I think I would get all of your wired devices on one switch. Connect the ATT router to that switch to provide internet. Choose a WAP like Open-Mesh if you can run wires to the locations you need WAP or go with Eero in bridge mode if you cant run wires.

qtopplings

Currently, is your WiFi coming from the ATT router or the R7000? Does your ATT router have a DMZ port? From what you have described so far I think I would get all of your wired devices on one switch. Connect the ATT router to that switch to provide internet. Choose a WAP like Open-Mesh if you can run wires to the locations you need WAP or go with Eero in bridge mode if you cant run wires.

Wifi is coming from the R7000, as I didn't want my wifi in a metal access panel in a closet.   Not sure if the ATT router has a DMZ port but I can find out.   I'm not sure I could do what you're suggesting...   The ATT router/cable modem is in the closet.  It has 4 ports, 2 of those are connected to the living room ethernet (1 for cable box/DVR, the other connected to a living room switch which has Apple TV, Roku, SmartThings hub connected).  The other 2 are connected to an 8 port switch in the closet (feeding the bedrooms), and my office.   In the office I have the R7000 connected to ATT router port 4 through ethernet.  R7000 is in AP mode, and I have a switch off of that which hardwires my mac and laptop, as well as a Sonos controller.

So I pretty much have to use the Luma in bridge mode, otherwise I'll have conflicts.  Would like to hardwire all 3 of them.   Guess I'll wait and see, and if not available go with Eero.

schoondoggy

Wifi is coming from the R7000, as I didn't want my wifi in a metal access panel in a closet.   Not sure if the ATT router has a DMZ port but I can find out.   I'm not sure I could do what you're suggesting...   The ATT router/cable modem is in the closet.  It has 4 ports, 2 of those are connected to the living room ethernet (1 for cable box/DVR, the other connected to a living room switch which has Apple TV, Roku, SmartThings hub connected).  The other 2 are connected to an 8 port switch in the closet (feeding the bedrooms), and my office.   In the office I have the R7000 connected to ATT router port 4 through ethernet.  R7000 is in AP mode, and I have a switch off of that which hardwires my mac and laptop, as well as a Sonos controller.

So I pretty much have to use the Luma in bridge mode, otherwise I'll have conflicts.  Would like to hardwire all 3 of them.   Guess I'll wait and see, and if not available go with Eero.

Sorry, I should have started with this; What issues are you trying to resolve or what are you trying to make better?

cskenney

If you leave in place an existing router from your ISP and then just add a Luma or Eero you may end up with a double NAT. This may not be a problem depending on how you use your system and if you don't need remote access.

I currently have a fiber to home provider with IPTV and I have to leave the ISP router. I enabled a DMZ host on the ISP router and entered the IP address of my Eero. Everything else in my house needs to be connected to the Eero (wired or wireless). I am still testing but haven't seen any problems with this setup.

qtopplings

If you leave in place an existing router from your ISP and then just add a Luma or Eero you may end up with a double NAT. This may not be a problem depending on how you use your system and if you don't need remote access.

I currently have a fiber to home provider with IPTV and I have to leave the ISP router. I enabled a DMZ host on the ISP router and entered the IP address of my Eero. Everything else in my house needs to be connected to the Eero (wired or wireless). I am still testing but haven't seen any problems with this setup.

To answer schoondoggy's question, and the above:

The issues I'm trying to resolve are around double NAT.   I have not received my Luma yet (end of July ship date), but my experience with the Netgear router not being in AP mode was a disaster.  Tons of IP conflicts, leading to the internet dropping out completely and me having to reboot the ATT router.   I have ports coming out of the router in the closet which are feeding hard wired connections throughout the house, and I can't put a wifi router in the closet, so I would need to put the Luma or Eero in bridge mode.   I'm not a networking expert, so I don't know if I can set up the Luma network through DMZ or cascaded router setup, and if done correctly will that work for me.

I guess my question is:   I would like all devices in my home to be able to communicate, so for example, my iMac would be hardwired to the ATT router, and my phone and Sonos would be on the Luma wifi network.  Would they be able to connect to each other, even though they are on separate networks with different IP ranges?    I don't see DMZ option, but there is an option for cascaded router, router address and subnet mask.  So I assume I would add the Luma there, but would have to assign a specific IP to it, right?   Which I doubt Luma allows at this point.

I am sure that Luma will add advanced control of the router.  They have to, if they want to compete.   I just have to try and be patient I guess.

cskenney

I am not a networking expert and there are many things you can do with commercial managed devices that can't be done with home / residential hardware that most consumers use.

If you put devices on different subnets (for Example the ATT Router is using the range 192.168.0.x and your Netgear (or Luma) is using a range of 192.168.0.x) then I believe they can not talk directly or find each other on thHe network.

What is the model of the ATT router?  It is easy to look it up online to see what features may be available.

Your issue with the R7000 acting as a router and your ATT Router acting as a router, were you using different subnets?  You should not have been getting IP conflicts unless you had two DHCP servers running at the same time on the same network.

Here is my current configuration I am using.  I am not saying it is the best but it is working so far.

I have TDS Fiber to Home that comes in through an ONT.  There is ethernet from the ONT to the ISP provided Actiontech T2200H router.

The Actiontech does the following things

1. It assigns IP addresses in the range 192.168.0.X

2. There are is an IPTV DVR box hardwired to port 1

3. There is a CISCO AP on port 2 that provides wireless access to the 2 additional IPTV boxes (just receivers).

4. I have Eero connected to port 3

5, In the Actiontech menus I reserved an IP address for the Eero network.  I also created a DMZ host and filled in the same reserved IP address assigned to the EERO.

Eero does the following

1. The WAN acquires an IP address that the Actiontech reserved for it.

2. Eero is performing DHCP on it's network using the address ranges 192.168.7.X

3. The 2nd port of Eero is connected to an unmanaged switch and everything in my house that is hardwired is connected to that switch (there is actually two of these that are cascaded)

4. Eero provides all the WIFI for my devices except the IPTV hardware which is on the ActionTech network.

By connecting this way I am able to see all my devices on the Eero network.  I can also see the ActionTech router configuration page from the Eero network.  My understanding is the ActionTech router is creating the separation between my 192.168.0.x and 192.168.7.x subnets.

The bottom line is because I have IPTV television service I have to keep the ISP router.  I didn't want to do double NAT because it can prevent you from getting remote access to devices if you want it.  I have not investigated any remote access yet or port forwarding on my Eero network but this is supposed to be straight forward.  The DMZ is basically a wide open (no port restrictions) to my Eero and then Eero blocks the ports until I foward them to the devices that need it.

If I have any of this wrong I know others will speak up.  I am trying to learn this myself and experimenting as I go.

qtopplings

Thank you for the followup.  ATT U-Verse is also IPTV, which is why I have to keep the ISP router on.   I wish I could set up my system exactly like yours, but because the ATT router (its an ARRIS NVG599) is in an access panel in my closet, I can't put the Luma/Eero in there.  I would have my living room devices (Apple TV, SmartThings Hub) and the bedroom ethernet jacks (which are currently not in use) on one network, and everything else on the Luma network.   Smarthings would probably be ok, but I wouldn't be able to stream to the Apple TV unless I put it on wifi (and that would probably be just fine since I'll have great bandwidth.  The other thing is I wanted to hardwire all 3 Luma's to take advantage of that bump in speed.   I'll have to test it both ways...

Here is the option I think I'll have to use:   

Cascaded Router Enable: When enabled, indicates another router will be behind this device.

Cascaded Router Address: The IP address for the router behind this device. The Cascaded Router Address should be in the LAN Private IP subnet range. Use 0.0.0.0 if IP Passthrough is enabled to have the cascaded router get the IP Passthrough address.

Network Address: The Network Address that defines the range of IP addresses available to clients of the cascaded router.

Subnet Mask: The subnet mask that with the Network Address defines the range of IP addresses available to clients of the cascaded router.

There is also an IP Passthrough option.

itGeeks

Your setup is the correct way and the OP should follow your setup. DMZ on the ISP router is key here.

itGeeks

To answer schoondoggy's question, and the above:

The issues I'm trying to resolve are around double NAT.   I have not received my Luma yet (end of July ship date), but my experience with the Netgear router not being in AP mode was a disaster.  Tons of IP conflicts, leading to the internet dropping out completely and me having to reboot the ATT router.   I have ports coming out of the router in the closet which are feeding hard wired connections throughout the house, and I can't put a wifi router in the closet, so I would need to put the Luma or Eero in bridge mode.   I'm not a networking expert, so I don't know if I can set up the Luma network through DMZ or cascaded router setup, and if done correctly will that work for me.

I guess my question is:   I would like all devices in my home to be able to communicate, so for example, my iMac would be hardwired to the ATT router, and my phone and Sonos would be on the Luma wifi network.  Would they be able to connect to each other, even though they are on separate networks with different IP ranges?    I don't see DMZ option, but there is an option for cascaded router, router address and subnet mask.  So I assume I would add the Luma there, but would have to assign a specific IP to it, right?   Which I doubt Luma allows at this point.

I am sure that Luma will add advanced control of the router.  They have to, if they want to compete.   I just have to try and be patient I guess.

The reason you had problems with your Netgear in router mode is because you can't have to routers on the same network, Each router needs to be on a different subnet. For example the ATT could be on the 192.168.1.x network and the Netgear should by on the 192.168.2.x network otherwise you will see all kinds of problems like you saw. I have FiOs and I need to keep there router in place so what I do is create a DMZ on the FiOs router and hang Luma or any other router you want off it, I would put all your devices on Luma and just let your ISP router serve whats need like STB's/IP Phones Ect.

What is the make/model of the router ATT gave you?

Is this it? https://www.att.com/accessories/specialty-items/pace-dsl-gateway-model-4111n.html#sku=sku5520238

I did a little digging see if the ATT has the DMZ settings by following below-

click SettingsFirewall, and Applications, Pinholes and DMZ.

Edited by itGeeks