RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

JBOD and S.M.A.R.T.

trimethylxanthine

Hi all

Is it possible to get SMART readings of drives configured as JBOD through the HP B120i controller?

I thought that there are some controllers which work with smartmontools if using the right commands.

Thanks for your help

The B120i really does not have a JBOD mode. Setting each drive to a single drive RAID0 lets each drive act independently, but they are still running behind the B120i controller.

Could you run AHCI in your setup? What OS are you running? What do you have for drives? 

oddly, we have the Gen8 in B120i RAID Mode, e.g. Smart Array controller mode, with 0 Logical Disks defined, with XPEnology working fine, creating a JBOD, and reporting SMART correctly on all disks, including temperatures.

not sure if XPEnology has a driver for B120i, but working for us.

oddly, we have the Gen8 in B120i RAID Mode, e.g. Smart Array controller mode, with 0 Logical Disks defined, with XPEnology working fine, creating a JBOD, and reporting SMART correctly on all disks, including temperatures.

not sure if XPEnology has a driver for B120i, but working for us.

I dont use XPEnology, but as far as I know there are no B120i drivers.

it's doing something weird then accessing direct!

out of box install, no changes, other than install DSM - done.

no idea.

You're just using it in AHCI mode because you're not loading the driver. The B120i is just the SATA controller inside the Intel chipset. The HP BIOS lets it boot from RAID arrays. The HP driver does the actual work of doing RAID. If you don't load the HP driver and just use the regular AHCI driver then you're using it just like a regular AHCI controller.

But to answer the question, some software queries the controller directly ("ignoring" the local hardware), Smartmontools does this, HDSentinel does this. Others may do this. StableBit Scanner does NOT. 

Thanks for your answers!

I'm using the ODD SATA port for my OS SSD and I'm running 2012R2. That's why I'm not using AHCI.

I have two 3TB RED drives (RAID 1) and one WD 1,5 TB ("JBOD")

ATM I'm running Xpenology with Hyper-V.(I know, not the best scenario) But I'd like to have SMART values in Xpenology for the 1.5TB so I could see how the HDD is doing...

The "trick" of einsteinagogo sounds promising, but does it only work without the virtualisation scenario? I can't passthrough the SATA controllers directly to the virtual machine? I read something similar where one loaded some SATA Intel drivers in 2012R2 instead of the HP B120i and all the HDD showed up and the Controller wasn't deactivated e.g. set to AHCI. Not sure if I can do this.

And back to Smartmontools, does someone of you know the correct parameters? With the standarts it doesn't work. (smartctl.exe -a sda) Or should I be using a different programm?

Edited by trimethylxanthine

I can't passthrough the SATA controllers directly to the virtual machine?

Jus tried it with the 1.5TB. Switched it "Offline" in the diskmgr and added it to the Xpenology VM and no SMART.