RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
t2clej

Network with 2 DHCP servers

itGeeks

1 - yes

2 - I own all equipment

3 - My goal is to primarily utilize the home ISP with the following exceptions:

• (a) work ISP with large backups to crashplan and google drive and large downloads
  • ( B) work ISP for streaming video late in the month when/if we get close to data cap.
  • © anything work related 

If you are wondering why I bother with both connections, its for two reasons: 

1. the home ISP was included in a 3 yr package deal that was actually less $ than just my cable. I do not plan to keep it if the price goes up.
  2. the work ISP has significantly better service response time ( < 4 hrs ) if there is a problem which includes nights and weekends. Home ISP can be several days before service tech comes to fix.

Thank you for the explanation. One good thing about you answer is you can use the TP-Link for the router for both networks instead having a duel router setup, This will simplify your setup. Most of what your wanting to do I feel strongly can be done with the TP-Link. For example you could setup a policy for Crashplan using the IP address of the computer hosting it to always use you work WAN. Looking at Google drive it seems to only use https port 443 so you could setup a rule in the TP-Link that says all HTTPS trafic goes to the work WAN. I am just trying to give you different ways to think about how to set this up, It may not be perfect but it should be close enough to keep your data caps in control and eliminate the need for manual labor to switch ISP's every month.

Update: One word of caution there is no mention of IPv6 support on any of the TP-Link documents and according to smallnetbuilder.com it does not support it so if IPv6 is something you need for your ISP then send TP-Link a email asking if its supported. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/31983-tp-link-tl-er6020-safestream-gigabit-dual-wan-vpn-router-reviewed?start=3

Edited by itGeeks

t2clej

Thanks for everyones help.  Will try the tp-link and also contact support/sales and ask about gigabit option.

itGeeks

Thanks for everyones help.  Will try the tp-link and also contact support/sales and ask about gigabit option.

Your welcome, Good luck and please update us to let us all know how it works out.

snapper

snapper said "I read this as that he could be on a laptop for example doing personal stuff on that WAN and then need to download a ISO file for example, which would be best on the business WAN, which means the router would need to somehow know to switch connections."

Yes - both of you are correct.

Typically most devices are on the home WAN (faster with data cap). When I get close to the data cap, I typically change the gateway to the business WAN (slower WITHOUT data cap) for the rest of the month. Works well and typically, wife/kids do not see the difference. My problems arose when certain devices (best examples is the Roku) which does not allow manually assigning of gateway. Therefore, the Roku stays on the personal WAN. Not great because the family Roku uses a lot of data.

Right now my default WAN/gateway is the personal WAN as its the one most commonly used.

One solution would be to reserve my setup and have all devices default to business account but then the Roku would always be on the business account.

I was hoping someone had solution.

Well a really easy and cheap solution would be to run everything off the USG and plug the home cable modem into its WAN port.

Then when you run out of bandwidth, unplug the home cable modem and plug in the business cable modem.

No-one downstream of the USG will see any difference...

Have you tried posting in the Ubiquiti forums asking if anyone there can come up with a solution, especially as the USG can run dual WAN from GUI with the new firmware...