RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
t2clej

Network with 2 DHCP servers

itGeeks

I'm sure that TP-Link is awesome in the right use-case, but can you explain how it will know what IP address the OP will be using next?

The OP wants to select Fast Speed WAN or High Bandwidth WAN depending on what he is doing on certain devices. There is no router (certainly not for 42.00) that can predict what website a user will want to go to next and preselect the WAN...

If this were a straight load balance / failover then yes, that TP-Link would possibly work, but the OP requirement is not that simple.

No disrespect but I still think your misunderstanding what the OP is looking for. My understanding is he is not looking for website by website WAN usage but rather device and or application usage to determine what WAN port is used and based on the DOC's for the TP-Link that device is more then capable of handling that. I will admit I am still a bit confused at what the end goal is but I do have some handle on what he is trying to do. I have more questions for the OP to try and determine his ultimate goal. Right now I understand his home ISP is faster then his work ISP but his home ISP has caps but his slower work ISP does not. I still need to get a handle on what his ultimate goal is so I can better help him.

Edited by itGeeks

snapper

No disrespect but I still think your misunderstanding what the OP is looking for. My understanding is he is not looking for website by website WAN usage but rather device and or application usage to determine what WAN port is used and based on the DOC's for the TP-Link that device is more then capable of handling that. I will admit I am still a bit confused at what the end goal is but I do have some handle on what he is trying to do. I have more questions for the OP to try and determine his ultimate goal.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but its not clear how the OP decides what the devices are going to do.

I was basing my answers on his text in post 30:

work wan - slower speed but unlimited data

personal - much faster but limited data

So I typically use the each wan for their respective use however, it may necessary to switch depending on needs, speed vs unlimited data. Hope that makes sense.

I read this as that he could be on a laptop for example doing personal stuff on that WAN and then need to download a ISO file for example, which would be best on the business WAN, which means the router would need to somehow know to switch connections.

itGeeks

OK, I admit i'm confused now.

How will the TP-Link know what WAN port to use?

If you use MAC addresses, then that device is permanently configured to that WAN port - you can't switch on the device, you will need to reconfigure the router every time you want to switch a device from one WAN to the other...

The TP-Link is not only configurable by MAC address it is configurable by MAC/IP address and or port number and or application protocol, Please have a look at this doc for all the goodness http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-530.html

For example the OP wants all VoIP traffic to go over WAN1 he can do it and if he wants all port 80 web browsing traffic to go over WAN2 he can do it, He can further define date and time of day that he wants the traffic to go over what WAN port, Please don't underestimate what this cheap device has to offer as its very flexible at a cost of cheap.

Edited by itGeeks

t2clej

OK, I admit i'm confused now.

How will the TP-Link know what WAN port to use?

If you use MAC addresses, then that device is permanently configured to that WAN port - you can't switch on the device, you will need to reconfigure the router every time you want to switch a device from one WAN to the other...

snapper - you are correct. I read the manual on the TP-LINK TL-ER6020. I could not find where I could assign a MAC address to WAN1 vs WAN2. So that will not work anyway.

itGeeks

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

itGeeks - I think the TP-Link may be the answer; I did not realize that device would allow WAN assignment based on mac address. However, the 100M limit does give me pause. There is another product:  TP-LINK TL-ER6020 Gigabit Dual-WAN VPN Router, 2 WAN ports, 2 LAN ports, 1 DMZ port, Ipsec PPTP L2TP VPN, Load Balance 

https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-ER6020-Gigabit-Dual-WAN-Balance/dp/B00A8NWU70/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

What do you think of this product?  

One additional question/problem. The 2 cable modems I have are on opposite ends of the house. There is only 1 ethernet connection between those 2 rooms.  If I use this device, can I plug cable modem #1 into switch then into the ER6020 WAN1port and cable modem #2 directly into WAN2? The reason I ask is that I have hard wired devices in room1 and room2. If I route cable modem#1 directly to ER6020 I will lose the hard wired devices in that room (not ideal). Thanks again.

I think the TP-Link ER6020 is a great choice if for nothing else to future proof, It offers all the same goodness your most interested in with the use of duel WAN ports, See the document below-

http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-530.html

I have some questions for you without trying to get to personal, I am just trying to get a better handle on whats needed and not needed and your ultimate goal.

1st do you own the company and have installed that 2nd line on your dime?

2nd If no then please tell me did the company you work for only supply the ISP line and you own the router that is connected to it or does the company you work for own the router?

3rd I need to no your ultimate goal with this setup? I understand your home ISP is faster with CAPS and your work ISP is slower with no CAPS but I need to know what the ultimate outcome should be for your setup so I can try and better help you. You need to have a sound plan of how you want this to all work and relay this to me. The reason for all the questions is I think if we can do away with the work router the setup will be simpler by putting the entire network under one router with duel ISP's

Edited by itGeeks

t2clej

Right now I understand his home ISP is faster then his work ISP but his home ISP has caps but his slower work ISP does not. I still need to get a handle on what his ultimate goal is so I can better help him.

snapper said "I read this as that he could be on a laptop for example doing personal stuff on that WAN and then need to download a ISO file for example, which would be best on the business WAN, which means the router would need to somehow know to switch connections."

Yes - both of you are correct.

Typically most devices are on the home WAN (faster with data cap). When I get close to the data cap, I typically change the gateway to the business WAN (slower WITHOUT data cap) for the rest of the month. Works well and typically, wife/kids do not see the difference. My problems arose when certain devices (best examples is the Roku) which does not allow manually assigning of gateway. Therefore, the Roku stays on the personal WAN. Not great because the family Roku uses a lot of data.

Right now my default WAN/gateway is the personal WAN as its the one most commonly used.

One solution would be to reserve my setup and have all devices default to business account but then the Roku would always be on the business account.

I was hoping someone had solution.

itGeeks

snapper - you are correct. I read the manual on the TP-LINK TL-ER6020. I could not find where I could assign a MAC address to WAN1 vs WAN2. So that will not work anyway.

It seems you are correct the other TP-Link we have been talking about does allow MAC address assignment but not the TL-ER6020, See specs below-

Policy Routing provides the network administrator with an accurate way to control the routing based on the policy. You could define different routing policies based on protocolsource/destination IP and source/destination port, and you could set effective time to make policy routing take effect in specific time period.

t2clej

I think the TP-Link ER6020 is a great choice if for nothing else to future proof, It offers all the same goodness your most interested in with the use of duel WAN ports, See the document below-

http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-530.html

I have some questions for you without trying to get to personal, I am just trying to get a better handle on whats needed and not needed and your ultimate goal.

1st do you own the company and have installed that 2nd line on your dime?

2nd If no then please tell me did the company you work for only supply the ISP line and you own the router that is connected to it or does the company you work for own the router?

3rd I need to no your ultimate goal with this setup? I understand your home ISP is faster with CAPS and your work ISP is slower with no CAPS but I need to know what the ultimate outcome should be for your setup so I can try and better help you. You need to have a sound plan of how you want this to all work and relay this to me. The reason for all the questions is I think if we can do away with the work router the setup will be simpler by putting the entire network under one router with duel ISP's

1 - yes

2 - I own all equipment

3 - My goal is to primarily utilize the home ISP with the following exceptions:

• (a) work ISP with large backups to crashplan and google drive and large downloads
  • (B) work ISP for streaming video late in the month when/if we get close to data cap.
  • © anything work related 

If you are wondering why I bother with both connections, its for two reasons: 

1. the home ISP was included in a 3 yr package deal that was actually less $ than just my cable. I do not plan to keep it if the price goes up.
  2. the work ISP has significantly better service response time ( < 4 hrs ) if there is a problem which includes nights and weekends. Home ISP can be several days before service tech comes to fix.

itGeeks

It seems you are correct the other TP-Link we have been talking about does allow MAC address assignment but not the TL-ER6020, See specs below-

Policy Routing provides the network administrator with an accurate way to control the routing based on the policy. You could define different routing policies based on protocolsource/destination IP and source/destination port, and you could set effective time to make policy routing take effect in specific time period.

itGeeks

snapper said "I read this as that he could be on a laptop for example doing personal stuff on that WAN and then need to download a ISO file for example, which would be best on the business WAN, which means the router would need to somehow know to switch connections."

Yes - both of you are correct.

Typically most devices are on the home WAN (faster with data cap). When I get close to the data cap, I typically change the gateway to the business WAN (slower WITHOUT data cap) for the rest of the month. Works well and typically, wife/kids do not see the difference. My problems arose when certain devices (best examples is the Roku) which does not allow manually assigning of gateway. Therefore, the Roku stays on the personal WAN. Not great because the family Roku uses a lot of data.

Right now my default WAN/gateway is the personal WAN as its the one most commonly used.

One solution would be to reserve my setup and have all devices default to business account but then the Roku would always be on the business account.

I was hoping someone had solution.

I have been thinking about this and what you could do since the TP-Link does not seem to have anyway to monitor data usage then automatically switch is do it the poor mans way and use the date & time feature that the TP-Link has to switch automatically. For example if your internet usage pretty much stays the same every month and you no what point in the month you hit your cap you could use the date to have the TP-Link switch all the device on your home network over to the work WAN. :)

Update: Never mind I see now that you can't select a date to switch, You can only switch by day & time of the week, Well maybe this option still gives you something to think about. The other thing you could do is put heavy data usage devices such as Roku to always use your work WAN while keeping less data hungry devices on your home WAN. There does seem to be many options for setting this up depending on your needs, You just have to get creative. Another way you could do it is use the Day & Time feature and split the month up that way, For example you could say 5 days a week your home devices uses the home WAN and two days a week they use the work WAN. That would save you a week of data, You get the idea, There are more then one way to skin the cat so to speak.

Edited by itGeeks