RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
t2clej

Network with 2 DHCP servers

snapper

I would love to remap voip port but my ability to configure using CLI is not adequate.

Remapping the VoIP port is done via GUI as its part of the Ubiquiti firmware.

snapper

Can router 1 and router 2 each have dhcp running or will I have the same problem as before. 

Having two DHCP servers on the same subnet that serve different configurations will not work. (using the kit you have anyway - i have done something similar a few years ago when I was a Cisco admin, but that was using high-end kit)

The configuration that a client will pick up depends on which server responds to the DHCP DISCOVER packet first, which depends on all sorts of things like network traffic / server load etc.

The easiest way I can think of is by using WiFi with 2 SSIDs (one per router) - 1 work and 1 home. You can then select which SSID you want and therefore which egress route you take.

nguyendot

Easiest way in my opinion - VLAN it out.

Dual WAN is easy to come by. For me I'd hit up eBay and buy a used SonicWALL - TZ210, NSA2400, etc. They're good for up to about 200mbps (my NSA2400 is about there).

It can do dual, triple, or more WANs. You can round robin them, aggregate them, load balance, etc. It can support multiple VLANs and as such you can assign a different DHCP/gateway (wan) per VLAN. 

snapper

Easiest way in my opinion - VLAN it out.

Dual WAN is easy to come by. For me I'd hit up eBay and buy a used SonicWALL - TZ210, NSA2400, etc. They're good for up to about 200mbps (my NSA2400 is about there).

It can do dual, triple, or more WANs. You can round robin them, aggregate them, load balance, etc. It can support multiple VLANs and as such you can assign a different DHCP/gateway (wan) per VLAN. 

Technically it would work, but the OP needs to switch WAN based on human needs, rather than being able to set it programatically:

"So I typically use the each wan for their respective use however, it may necessary to switch depending on needs, speed vs unlimited data. Hope that makes sense."

So that only leaves multiple LAN cards, multiple SSID on wireless or a single network card that can support VLAN trunking to the switch, and enable/disable virtual interface as needed...

nguyendot

On mine I have the ability to control what WAN is used under the load balancing page of my SonicWALL. 

Alternatively you can just change your gateway/default route for each VLAN in the firewall. That would be the fastest way IMO.

itGeeks

Technically it would work, but the OP needs to switch WAN based on human needs, rather than being able to set it programatically:

"So I typically use the each wan for their respective use however, it may necessary to switch depending on needs, speed vs unlimited data. Hope that makes sense."

So that only leaves multiple LAN cards, multiple SSID on wireless or a single network card that can support VLAN trunking to the switch, and enable/disable virtual interface as needed...

This all sounds very exciting and would be great options for the right use case but I think we maybe getting off track of the simple solution the OP was wanting to do without breaking the bank. from what I am getting the OP wants to do the TP-Link looks like it can handle and all for 42.00 without an overly complicated configuration, He can assign what WAN to use based on IP/MAC address and or Protocol and even base it on date & time of day, The device looks very flexible for 42.00 the only drawback I can see is it only supports up to 100M so he needs to make sure his internet is not faster then 100M or this will be the bottleneck. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SYQBN8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=I1TW04N53KQWHN&psc=1

Edited by itGeeks

snapper

This all sounds very exciting and would be great options for the right use case but I think we maybe getting off track of the simple solution the OP was wanting to do without breaking the bank. from what I am getting the OP wants to do the TP-Link looks like it can handle and all for 42.00 without an overly complicated configuration, He can assign what WAN to use based on IP/MAC address and or Protocol and even base it on date & time of day, The device looks very flexible for 42.00 the only drawback I can see is it only supports up to 100M so he needs to make sure his internet is not faster then 100M or this will be the bottleneck. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SYQBN8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=I1TW04N53KQWHN&psc=1

I'm sure that TP-Link is awesome in the right use-case, but can you explain how it will know what IP address the OP will be using next?

The OP wants to select Fast Speed WAN or High Bandwidth WAN depending on what he is doing on certain devices. There is no router (certainly not for 42.00) that can predict what website a user will want to go to next and preselect the WAN...

If this were a straight load balance / failover then yes, that TP-Link would possibly work, but the OP requirement is not that simple.

t2clej

Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

itGeeks - I think the TP-Link may be the answer; I did not realize that device would allow WAN assignment based on mac address. However, the 100M limit does give me pause. There is another product:  TP-LINK TL-ER6020 Gigabit Dual-WAN VPN Router, 2 WAN ports, 2 LAN ports, 1 DMZ port, Ipsec PPTP L2TP VPN, Load Balance 

https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-ER6020-Gigabit-Dual-WAN-Balance/dp/B00A8NWU70/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

What do you think of this product?  

One additional question/problem. The 2 cable modems I have are on opposite ends of the house. There is only 1 ethernet connection between those 2 rooms.  If I use this device, can I plug cable modem #1 into switch then into the ER6020 WAN1port and cable modem #2 directly into WAN2? The reason I ask is that I have hard wired devices in room1 and room2. If I route cable modem#1 directly to ER6020 I will lose the hard wired devices in that room (not ideal). Thanks again.

snapper

I think the TP-Link may be the answer;

OK, I admit i'm confused now.

How will the TP-Link know what WAN port to use?

If you use MAC addresses, then that device is permanently configured to that WAN port - you can't switch on the device, you will need to reconfigure the router every time you want to switch a device from one WAN to the other...

snapper

One additional question/problem. The 2 cable modems I have are on opposite ends of the house. There is only 1 ethernet connection between those 2 rooms.  If I use this device, can I plug cable modem #1 into switch then into the ER6020 WAN1port and cable modem #2 directly into WAN2? The reason I ask is that I have hard wired devices in room1 and room2. If I route cable modem#1 directly to ER6020 I will lose the hard wired devices in that room (not ideal). Thanks again.

You could plug cable modem 1 into your switch if you configure VLANs (assuming your switch can do this). Personally, I wouldn't as a misconfiguration could expose your internal network direct to the internet.

The only way to do this with gigabit will be to run a new cable.

If you can live with 10/100m speed, you can get a splitter that will allow a single cable to be used for 2 connections, and place a switch at each end.

So cable slipper port A  would connect the cable modem to the other room and splitter port B would connect to a new switch in the same room for your hardwired devices.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/C2G-Cables-37133-Splitter-Combiner/dp/B000Q5UMEI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1468279939&sr=1-2&keywords=Ethernet+Splitter