RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
t2clej

Network with 2 DHCP servers

t2clej

Do all 5 devices on the business network need access to the house at any given time or only the laptop? It sounded to me like only the laptop.

Typically 1 laptops and 2 desktops need access to both business and personal WAN. 

itGeeks

My device accomplishes the original concern with the use of only one WAN connection.

No disrespect but the original concern as I see it is the abilities of keeping two separate ISP's for two different networks y allowing sharing of some devices from is work to be able to use the ISP for the house when needed all y all devices are on the same network. Another words all devices from group A work should only use the work ISP y all devices from group B home use the house ISP and allowing devices from group A work use the house ISP on the fly when needed. Hope I make sense in trying to explain this to you.

Typically 1 laptops and 2 desktops need access to both business and personal WAN. 

OK so here is what I would do if we are only talking about your laptop needing access to both ISP's and two different networks. For simplicity and the least amount of cost I would keep both your business and home networks completely separate including the IP assignment so you don't have the trouble your running into now. For example I would setup your work router to use 192.168.1.x range and have all your work computer/devices point to the ubiq router then setup your home network on the Asus router to use 192.168.2.x range. Now just connect your work laptop to both networks using WiFi and or Ethernet cable, You can be connected to both networks at the same time without any problems. If your laptop only has one Ethernet cable and you want to connect it using Ethernet you can purchase a USB to Ethernet adapter such as the one I have that works really well. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M7MYFAU/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687662&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00AQM8586&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1QAXT7KRKXB8STS3GWJ9  

update: I see now its not just the laptop so just add NICs if needed to those two desktops and continue the setup I outlined above. This setup will work very well for you providing you dont have any bandwidth caps on either ISP that you need to watch. In that case you could just disable the NIC going to that network and enable as needed otherwise just leave them both active and enjoy your split-network configuration.

Edited by itGeeks

jmwills

There used to be a program called NetSwitcher or something like this.  It allows you to create profiles for different networks.

itGeeks

There used to be a program called NetSwitcher or something like this.  It allows you to create profiles for different networks.

That's pretty neat, That would definitely be an option if the program is still around and not require the use of separate NIC's as I outlined above. Just thought about it and you would still need two or more NICs to use something like that unless your willing to unplug from one network and plugin to the other when needed. Please post a link to the program if you find it.

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks

https://sourceforge.net/projects/argonswitcher/

Not the original but close.

Thanks for the link, I just had quick look and does not list Windows 10 support so I don't know if it would work on Windows 10, As we know Microsoft changed the network stack in a big way for Windows 10. Just something to think about. I still think the cleanest way for the OP is just follow what I already outlined and disable the NIC for what ever network he does not want to be connected to if needed otherwise just leave both NICs active. 

fractal

pfSense will allow you to specify the gateway for a static mapping DHCP address.  You can even give a different domain / search path.  You can connect both WAN connections to a pfSense box and make one primary and the other secondary.  You can even do it so "special" people get one order and the unwashed masses get a different order / priority.  It does require a router running pfSense with enough network interfaces.  Any old computer with enough network cards will work and there are some embedded boxes optimized for the job.

itGeeks

So I have done some digging around and I was just introduced to an inexpensive box by TP-link that I think will work for you without having to add extra NIC's and such as I outlined above, The only thing I see looking at the specs of it is its only 100m so your internet speed needs to be 100m or less. Now looking at the specs this device does seem to be you golden answer without braking the bank but as I have never tested this device myself its going to be trial and error to see if it solves your problem, See links below-

TL-R470T+ http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/TL-R470T%2B.html#overview

Looks like this is the feature you would use to do what you want http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-530.html

Great YouTube review by Jerry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDUfP8a5zNY

For anyone that does not know Jerry he is an ex Microsoft employee that was let go after 15 years after the Ballmer administration. Its a heart breaking story, Not so much because he lost is job but because he has a very sick child that needs expensive medical treatment that his health plan from Microsoft was covering. Have a listen if you have the time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRV6PXB6QLk

If your going to purchase the TP-Link please give back to this great community by using the Amazon HSS affiliation link below, This will give Dave a few pennies to help him keep this great community going

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SYQBN8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=I1TW04N53KQWHN&psc=1

Hope this info helps and please keep us updated on what you ended up doing.

snapper

You may be able to do this with the latest Ubiquiti controller firmware download.

v5.0.7 has the following in the changeling: 

• Add option to remap VOIP port as WAN2 on USG (UGW3).

Either way, is the business use always to a single endpoint (e.g. VPN tunnel) or is it general browsing etc?

What you want should be possible on the USG anyway, but you would need to use CLI rather than the GUI...

Need to fully understand exactly what the need is first though as I'm not clear what determines the switch between business / personal WAN...

t2clej

Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions. Greatly appreciated. As some have asked - the besides business use vs personal use on the two WAN connections, I also have these variables:

work wan - slower speed but unlimited data

personal - much faster but limited data

So I typically use the each wan for their respective use however, it may necessary to switch depending on needs, speed vs unlimited data. Hope that makes sense.

I'm going to try the TP-link option suggested my itGeeks and look into pfsense as well. I would love to remap voip port but my ability to configure using CLI is not adequate.

Of course with the long holiday weekend over, I'm back to work so I'm going to place some orders and plan to work on this evenings and hopefully have solution by the end of the weekend.

I am also going to try using a "shared" router to connect router/wan 1 to router/wan2 as detailed below. The same problem may arise however - Can router 1 and router 2 each have dhcp running or will I have the same problem as before. 

If these are independent networks, you can connect them to each other like any other networks, using an ordinary router! Let’s call it the “shared” router. The tricky part is properly configuring it.

You connect the WAN of the shared router to a LAN port on the router of network 192.168.1.x, and connect a LAN port of the shared router to a LAN port on the router of network 192.168.2.x.

[192.168.1.1](lan)<-- wire -->(wan)[shared router](lan)<-- wire -->(lan)[192.168.2.1]