RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
t2clej

Network with 2 DHCP servers

itGeeks

Ah. You've actually got two WAN connections? It wasn't very clear from your original post as you only mentioned a single gateway IP.

Depending on how the specific DHCP server setup inside the Asus is configured, it may still reply to DHCP client requests. If it just replies with an error and the client gives up or ignores the USG then it'll eventually timeout and get a linklocal address. It sounds like that is what is happening. To confirm, you'll need to dig around in the DHCP RFCs to see what exactly happens in this situation.

You're doing something odd which isn't a normal configuration. The proper way would be to setup the USG in dual WAN mode and leave it as the default gateway for your entire network. The USG would then decide to use which WAN connection depending on the client. However, only the USG Pro supports dual WAN. The small USG doesn't do it.

I would like to know y the OP has two internet connections for? Maybe then we could understand better what there trying to do and offer the best solution/setup. Without knowing anything I am with you a router with duel-WAN support is the cleanest way to set this up.

t2clej

Ah. You've actually got two WAN connections? It wasn't very clear from your original post as you only mentioned a single gateway IP.

Depending on how the specific DHCP server setup inside the Asus is configured, it may still reply to DHCP client requests. If it just replies with an error and the client gives up or ignores the USG then it'll eventually timeout and get a linklocal address. It sounds like that is what is happening. To confirm, you'll need to dig around in the DHCP RFCs to see what exactly happens in this situation.

You're doing something odd which isn't a normal configuration. The proper way would be to setup the USG in dual WAN mode and leave it as the default gateway for your entire network. The USG would then decide to use which WAN connection depending on the client. However, only the USG Pro supports dual WAN. The small USG doesn't do it.

Can you recommend another dual wan router or another solution? I do not really want to purchase the USG pro at this time. 

So I need a way to link 2 WAN connections on same network yet be able to chose WAN#1 or WAN#2 for each device. 

I appreciate everyones help. Thanks.

I would like to know y the OP has two internet connections for? Maybe then we could understand better what there trying to do and offer the best solution/setup. Without knowing anything I am with you a router with duel-WAN support is the cleanest way to set this up.

Two internet connections - business and personal use. However, there are times when the business device I'm using needs connection for personal use. I had separate networks previously but that was a hassle to switch networks back and forth when I needed file on server A or kids needed help on device B.

Recommendations on dual-wan router?

Edited by t2clej

itGeeks

Can you recommend another dual wan router or another solution? I do not really want to purchase the USG pro at this time. 

So I need a way to link 2 WAN connections on same network yet be able to chose WAN#1 or WAN#2 for each device. 

I appreciate evenness help. Thanks.

May I ask you y you want to restrict devices from using one WAN connection over the other? I can understand if you want all your devices to use the primary WAN connection and only use the secondary for backup service if the primary goes down but it sounds like one want some devices to use one WAN connection while other devices use the other WAN connection so I am just trying to understand.

Edited by itGeeks

t2clej

May I ask you y you want to restrict devices from using one WAN connection over the other? I can understand if you want all your devices to use the primary WAN connection and only use the secondary for backup service if the primary goes down but it sounds like one want some devices to use one WAN connection while other devices use the other WAN connection so I am just trying to understand.

Business vs personal accounts. I have some devices strictly assigned to personal and vise-versa. However, my laptop is used for both so I want the ability to switch between the two WANs.

itGeeks

I appreciate evenness help. Thanks.

Two internet connections - business and personal use. However, there are times when the business device I'm using needs connection for personal use. I had separate networks previously but that was a hassle to switch networks back and forth when I needed file on server A or kids needed help on device B.

Recommendations on dual-wan router?

OK so your trying to mix business and personal. How many devices on the business line that needs access to the personal line? I am assuming the kids never need access to the business line?

Business vs personal accounts. I have some devices strictly assigned to personal and vise-versa. However, my laptop is used for both so I want the ability to switch between the two WANs.

OK so its just the laptop that need the option of using one line over the other?

t2clej

OK so your trying to mix business and personal. How many devices on the business line that needs access to the personal line? I am assuming the kids never need access to the business line?

OK so its just the laptop that need the option of using one line over the other?

About 5 devices on business. Yes, kids do not need access to business line (unless personal line goes down - a house without internet is an unhappy house).

jmwills

My ASUS RT-66NU offers the ability to have three different networks.  Guests to the house who need internet access are given access to on of the other two networks but cannot see and devices on the main VLAN.  It's a poor man's VLAN but it works.  Those other two LAN segments are completely wireless but it serves the purpose.

itGeeks

About 5 devices on business. Yes, kids do not need access to business line (unless personal line goes down - a house without internet is an unhappy house).

Do all 5 devices on the business network need access to the house at any given time or only the laptop? It sounded to me like only the laptop.

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks

My ASUS RT-66NU offers the ability to have three different networks.  Guests to the house who need internet access are given access to on of the other two networks but cannot see and devices on the main VLAN.  It's a poor man's VLAN but it works.  Those other two LAN segments are completely wireless but it serves the purpose.

True but the OP is not concerned about what devices can see what network, They are only concerned about what ISP each set of devices are using with the added abilities for devices from group A being able to switch to the ISP that group B is using on the fly

jmwills

True but the OP is not concerned about what devices can see what network, They are only concerned about what ISP each set of devices are using with the added abilities for devices from group A being able to switch to the ISP that group B is using on the fly

My device accomplishes the original concern with the use of only one WAN connection.