RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
bennybennybenny

HP Microserver N40L won't boot after BIOS update

bennybennybenny
Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the correct section to post this, but in a bit of a pickle after attempting to flash my HP Microserver N40L to the modified bios last night.

The story goes - I've had myN40L microserver for the past few years running Windows 8.1 and acting as a media server for the house. I recently upgraded a laptop I have so had a spare Samsung 840 EVO 120gb SSD that I thought I'd throw in the microserver as the boot drive. 

I ghosted the existing windows install (which was on a 250gb mechanical hard drive) over to the SSD, rebooted the computer and everything was working file. When I checked the performance of the SSD using the Samsung Magician software it indicated thatt the SSD wasn't running at full speed due to AHCI being disabled. I then did a bit of research and found that SATA port 5 (normally meant for an optical drive) that the SSD was connected to doesn't run at full speed and in IDE mode. I read that the modified bios that's floating around for Microserver's can fix this.

So I flashed the bios to my machine however now when I boot up it gets to the loading screen for windows and then errors and reboots. This boot loop just continues constantly with no way to get into windows.

I've tried setting the hard drive mode to both IDE and AHCI in BIOS with no success, I've reverted the BIOS back to default settings, took out the CMOS battery overnight, tried to re-flash back to default HP firmware, re-flashed the modded BIOS with no drives in the server and even run the windows 8 startup repair with no success whatsoever, it just continues to error and boot loop.

I did leave all 4 of my other SATA hard drives in the machine when flashing the modded bios originally so don't know if this affected it. I wish I'd just left the original BIOS on there now.

Is there anything I can try to fix this? I'd really prefer not to have to reinstall windows 8 as it took me awhile to set everything up for media (Sonarr, CouchPotato, iTunes, Serviio etc).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers Benny

Edited by bennybennybenny

bennybennybenny

Hi guys,

This thread can be closed, I eventually got it all working. It was because Windows 8 was originall installed as IDE mode on the mechanical drive. I was able to rectify the problem by following instructions at the following link - http://superuser.com/questions/471102/change-from-ide-to-ahci-after-installing-windows-8

Cheers Benny

Edited by bennybennybenny

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      Any experience & suggestions for a 4k BluRay Optical drive that would fit in the top of the MicroServer?
    • GoHerdIBG
      By GoHerdIBG
      I also posted this on the HPE forums.

Just bought my first HP Microserver and got a decent deal on a Gen10 x3421.  I am using a USB key to try and install either CentOS or RHEL 7 on it and neither install sees any of the disks in the front slots.  I am using 1TB WD Caviar Green drives.  I have also tried a Seagate drive but nothing seems to work.

I have gone back and forth between EUFI and Legacy hoping that would help.  Nothing.

I am currently installing on a 500B USB drive and hope to see if the drives are visible when I fully boot.

I also looked through the drivers and firmware and did not see anything directly related to my problem.  I was going to download the SPP but couldn't igure out how to register my system manually to allow me to download the SPP.

Am I missing anything obvious or does the system not yet support RHEL 7 or CentOS 7?

Thanks for any information.

• in2thepit
      By in2thepit
      Hi Folks,

I am hoping that you can help with an issue I am having with my new HP Microserver Gen 10. Apologies if I am posting in the wrong place. 
      The microserver CPU is constantly running at 100%. It occasionally dips but normally is maxed out. I have build the server from new using Samsung SSD drives in a Raid 1 configuration initially. I have also tried the following.

1. Single SSD with windows 10 Pro
      2. Single SDD with Server 2016
      3. Raid 1 with Server 2016.
      4. Single SATA with Windows 10 pro.

I have updated the firmware. I have downloaded all the latest drivers from HP's portal.

I have tried to get support from HP but they are providing one excuse after another to explain why they cant support the server. Currently the server is about a month or so old.

HP Support responses..

1. Windows 10 isn't supported.. ( Despite having windows 10 drivers for this server on their portal)
      2. SSD drives are not supported
      3. SATA drives are not supported unless they have HP branding. ( The Gen 10 is being sold on Amazon with Western Digital drives included)

We have tried killing of several services in Windows 10 as per articles that we have found online. We have set the Virtual Memory to refresh on reboot.

None of the above have achieved anything. 

As a result of the CPU running constantly at 100% the system is unbearably slow and cant be used to run even the most basic of tasks.

It looks like we have been left holding an expensive tin box.

I have attached a screen dump showing the CPU utilization. 

Any help or advice at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
      Carl

• Laris
      By Laris
      Hi all,

Now I share my extreamly mod for your reference

• skinfreak
      By skinfreak
      Hi there,
      Over the many years of using the Gen8 there always seems to be some problem!! ;-)

I have Windows 10 Pro install to a HDD in the ODD. The 4 3TB drives in the other bays, configured via Storage Spaces. BIOS set to AHCI and I have made use of the usb boot key to map the boot to the ODD bay. All has been resonably well for well over a year however I was never able to get Windows to update. Now I'm getting warnings that the software will be unsupported and have tried several times to do an upgrade but frequently get errors such as the installer cannot detect how much space is availble. I think that's because of the USB key.

I don't want to go back to square one and reinstall if I cannot help it but has anyone else experienced this? I seem to recall having problems with using the B120i but cannot for the life of me remember why I stopped using it... but I know that changing to Legacy SATA should remove the need for the USB boot mapping.

Thanks!