RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jomobco

Load balancing, PPOE, website hosting, static IP's

jomobco

Wow, this has really settled down.  I had to remove and re-add an Eero location or two but I haven't seen any location drop since yesterday afternoon.  All units also updated their first night to what I believe is current software at the moment v1.1.1.  

I double NAT'd to the Eero and then enabled default host (DMZ basically) on the Apple Airport Extreme to a DHCP reservation of the Eero.  I will play around soon with the TPLink now that Eero is running smoothly.  

itGeeks

Great info, Thanks for sharing. 9 Eero's in place working together and stable is impressive :)

jomobco

It appears that after a few reboots and reconnections the POE backhaul to the barn is finally stable.  It took a few tries to get the Eero to stop dropping that connection.  I think something in that connection might have lead to the constant "can't connect to internet" messages I was getting until it became stable.  

I misspoke here.  I said POE and I meant powerline adapters.  I'm running a powerline adapter from my main Eero switch to the barn Powerline adapter then to the Eero some 50' away.  

nguyendot

I have a web server set up with dual WAN.

ISP1 > SonicWALL NSA 2400 > NAT > Web Server

ISP2 > SonicWALL NSA 2400 > NAT > Web Server

The SonicWall has a rule of Any > ALL WAN IP > NAT to internal web server

My NAS has the same setup. Logically it is auto-failover. If I want DNS to follow I can set up the domain on AWS Route 53 and the web server will always be up. 

• Like 1

itGeeks

I misspoke here.  I said POE and I meant powerline adapters.  I'm running a powerline adapter from my main Eero switch to the barn Powerline adapter then to the Eero some 50' away.  

Thanks for the update, What make/model powerline adapters are you using? 

itGeeks

My NAS has the same setup. Logically it is auto-failover. If I want DNS to follow I can set up the domain on AWS Route 53 and the web server will always be up. 

My god is there anything Amazon does not offer these days? Never heard of AWS Route 53 till now https://aws.amazon.com/route53/

How is the pricing?

I do wish Amazon could make there pricing for services not so complicated so the average user that wanted to use some of there great services could get on board.

Do they offer Dynamic DNS service like Dyn or NoIP?

Edited by itGeeks

jomobco

Thanks I will take a look for that feature on the the TPLink.  Currently I haven't combined the PPOE connections yet - still 2 separate Apple routers.  I didn't want to have too many balls in the air at once.  

Thanks for the update, What make/model powerline adapters are you using? 

AV600 aka TL-PA6010 http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TL-PA6010.html

Edited by jomobco

nguyendot

My god is there anything Amazon does not offer these days? Never heard of AWS Route 53 till now https://aws.amazon.com/route53/

How is the pricing?

I do wish Amazon could make there pricing for services not so complicated so the average user that wanted to use some of there great services could get on board.

Do they offer Dynamic DNS service like Dyn or NoIP?

I believe they do. I'll have to look into it. Their price for Route 53 is per million requests.....which for the purpose of typical users in the forum would mean <$5/month!

Thanks I will take a look for that feature on the the TPLink.  Currently I haven't combined the PPOE connections yet - still 2 separate Apple routers.  I didn't want to have too many balls in the air at once.  

Hopefully that unit has it. Most business class or higher firewalls have multiple WAN natively. You can turn just about any interface into another WAN and they all support DHCP/PPOE/etc. 

itGeeks

Thanks for the info.

Do they work well?

Are they plugged into the same circuit?

Lots of powerline adapters don't handle circuit hops very well, I have tried many and ended up returning them for this very reason. I finally found one that I like and it works very well being plugged into different circuits it's by Netgear. I was running three 3MP IP cameras and one 4MP camera off one of these with no problems. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S6DBGIS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=IKNRKSQ4GKDQA&psc=1

jomobco

Thanks for the info.

Do they work well?

Are they plugged into the same circuit?

Lots of powerline adapters don't handle circuit hops very well, I have tried many and ended up returning them for this very reason. I finally found one that I like and it works very well being plugged into different circuits it's by Netgear. I was running three 3MP IP cameras and one 4MP camera off one of these with no problems. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S6DBGIS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=IKNRKSQ4GKDQA&psc=1

It certainly isn't a cable connection.  Different locations performed at much different speeds. I use them to backhaul video from the slingboxes to the apps on my second network and then on the first network to connect the barn to the house.  I've found a great deal of variance due to possible interference on the same unit throughout the day.  Yours sound much more impressive than mine.  I could stream 1080 camera video but it was inconsistent.