RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jomobco

Load balancing, PPOE, website hosting, static IP's

jomobco

First post, thanks in advance for any help.  So I'm a bit stumped on what to do here.  Currently I've got two PPOE static IP connections coming into my house with 2 internet service subscriptions from the same company.  One of the addresses hosts a website on an Apple server, and a guest/work network via an Apple Airport Extreme router.  The other line of service is our home network running off a newer version of the same router.  I would like to combine the two PPOE connections with a TPlink TL-R4701T load balancing router to increase speeds.  Behind this I would replace my two Airport Extremes currently running the PPOE and DHCP with an EERO.  This would run a main network and a guest network.  

Behind the LB router I will have EERO's, the website only running server, my Synology 1513+ NAS (which could host a website but I thought having an Apple server only doing website work might be more secure), a Circle with Disney, Sonos and then the usual wireless phones, laptops, etc.  I need to make sure website requests get through the LB router to the server and that the ports needed on the NAS get forwarded.  

I'm open to thoughts on how to accomplish this.  I'm thinking I could bridge mode the LB Router and let the EERO handle DHCP and port forwarding and then run a switch off the EERO port and hook in the server, NAS and Sonos.  I'm unsure how website requests would be handled in this situation and if that would work.  I just picked up the Circle with Disney after hearing the podcast from @homeservershow and it the instructions say it has special needs with multi band or more than one router...or uses advanced router settings so I'm not sure yet what that means.  

What do others think?  Am I missing something here or am I on the right track?

Thanks,

John

itGeeks

First post, thanks in advance for any help.  So I'm a bit stumped on what to do here.  Currently I've got two PPOE static IP connections coming into my house with 2 internet service subscriptions from the same company.  One of the addresses hosts a website on an Apple server, and a guest/work network via an Apple Airport Extreme router.  The other line of service is our home network running off a newer version of the same router.  I would like to combine the two PPOE connections with a TPlink TL-R4701T load balancing router to increase speeds.  Behind this I would replace my two Airport Extremes currently running the PPOE and DHCP with an EERO.  This would run a main network and a guest network.  

Behind the LB router I will have EERO's, the website only running server, my Synology 1513+ NAS (which could host a website but I thought having an Apple server only doing website work might be more secure), a Circle with Disney, Sonos and then the usual wireless phones, laptops, etc.  I need to make sure website requests get through the LB router to the server and that the ports needed on the NAS get forwarded.  

I'm open to thoughts on how to accomplish this.  I'm thinking I could bridge mode the LB Router and let the EERO handle DHCP and port forwarding and then run a switch off the EERO port and hook in the server, NAS and Sonos.  I'm unsure how website requests would be handled in this situation and if that would work.  I just picked up the Circle with Disney after hearing the podcast from @homeservershow and it the instructions say it has special needs with multi band or more than one router...or uses advanced router settings so I'm not sure yet what that means.  

What do others think?  Am I missing something here or am I on the right track?

Thanks,

John

Welcome to the forums!

Are you sure that's the correct model number for the TPlink? I can't find anything on it, Please post a link for it.

itGeeks

OK I have looked over everything and I think I have the answer for you on how you need to set this up, I say I think because even though I have been setting up networks since 1991 I have never dealt with someone that wanted a duel WAN connection that also wanted to host a website internally, Yes I have setup duel WAN connections with load balancing but they where not also trying to host a website on there network as well so I don't want to give you the wrong advice so I have reached out to a forum member that I consider the resident expert and asked him to chime in to your post for his recommended setup for you, If he does not chime in within a few days I will give you my recommendation on how I think it should work but keep in mind this will be trial and error so I would recommend you order the TPlink from Amazon as they have a great return policy if it does not work. If you don't here from anyone of us within a few days please post a reminder and I will respond.

• Like 1

jomobco

Thanks itGeeks.  I could always pull the website off to a remote host for cheap but since I have the gear...  I'm thinking I could keep both the apple routers and hang the server off of one and put the LB router behind them and then the EERO.  I wouldn't be able to load balance the website but it doesn't use much bandwidth.  I think that would make finding the NAS a PITA though.  

I look forward to hearing everyones ideas and to figure out where we get to.  I appreciate your time with this.  

John

itGeeks

Thanks itGeeks.  I could always pull the website off to a remote host for cheap but since I have the gear...  I'm thinking I could keep both the apple routers and hang the server off of one and put the LB router behind them and then the EERO.  I wouldn't be able to load balance the website but it doesn't use much bandwidth.  I think that would make finding the NAS a PITA though.  

I look forward to hearing everyones ideas and to figure out where we get to.  I appreciate your time with this.  

John

So I have done some digging around and I must say that TP-Link looks impressive for the money, At first I was going to tell you I thought you would have to connect Eero in 'bridge mode' but it looks like you maybe able to use Eero in router mode like you wanted to :) At this point I would only caution you that looking at the specs for the TP-Link it only supports up to 100m so if you have an internet connection faster then 100m this device will be your bottleneck. Other then that this device looks like it will do what you want on paper and with ease. The change in my configuration thoughts came when I watch another great YouTube video review by Jerry an ex Microsoft employee hew set this up in load balancing mode and added another router to handle everything on his network, See this link for Jerry review and setup 

Please keep in mind I have never tested this device so its going to be trial and error but on paper and the info I have collected it looks like you should be able to use Eero in router mode and still host your website internally but only testing will tell for sure. I would say order it from Amazon as they have a great return policy and if you would not mind please support this great community by using the Amazon HSS afiliate link below so Dave can get a few penies from your purchase to keep this great community going, This is no cost to you. Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SYQBN8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1N6867G1O15RY&coliid=I1TW04N53KQWHN&psc=1

For anyone that does not know Jerry he is an ex Microsoft employee that was let go after 15 years after the Ballmer administration. Its a heart breaking story, Not so much because he lost is job but because he has a very sick child that needs expensive medical treatment that his health plan from Microsoft was covering. Have a listen if you have the time 

Hope this info helps and please keep us updated on what you ended up doing.

• Like 1

jomobco

Thanks itGeeks.  I already had the tp-link now as I was waiting to use it with a LUMA order I had and then got shafted on (typical Luma story right now).  I will throw a donation though.  I appreciate what is created here.  

I had a chance to play around today and tonight I have 10 EERO up awaiting their nightly update.  It was frustrating though.  I was using the TPLink and every time I'd get it connecting I'd eventually get an error that internet connection was getting lost.  I finally figured it out tonight after pulling that, trying an older Cisco router and then back to what I new worked - my apple airport.  It turns out that the error occurs when one attempts to hook a switch to the second EERO port.  This means nothing in front of it can truly be in bridge mode because you need a router for your LAN devices too.  This threw me when I was trying to get DHCP disabled on the TPLink.  I had a switch on the EERO's second LAN port and many times I'm certain now that is where the "internet not connected" error was popping up.  It's late and I'll do more digging tomorrow, reach out to EERO.  Hopefully I can get both WAN's tied together.  I'm hoping I can open a port to the website as today port 80 would show the TPLink login page not the website.  

itGeeks

Thanks itGeeks.  I already had the tp-link now as I was waiting to use it with a LUMA order I had and then got shafted on (typical Luma story right now).  I will throw a donation though.  I appreciate what is created here.  

I had a chance to play around today and tonight I have 10 EERO up awaiting their nightly update.  It was frustrating though.  I was using the TPLink and every time I'd get it connecting I'd eventually get an error that internet connection was getting lost.  I finally figured it out tonight after pulling that, trying an older Cisco router and then back to what I new worked - my apple airport.  It turns out that the error occurs when one attempts to hook a switch to the second EERO port.  This means nothing in front of it can truly be in bridge mode because you need a router for your LAN devices too.  This threw me when I was trying to get DHCP disabled on the TPLink.  I had a switch on the EERO's second LAN port and many times I'm certain now that is where the "internet not connected" error was popping up.  It's late and I'll do more digging tomorrow, reach out to EERO.  Hopefully I can get both WAN's tied together.  I'm hoping I can open a port to the website as today port 80 would show the TPLink login page not the website.  

Your welcome. Good luck.

jomobco

Just to update, I've got 9 Eero's up and running.  It appears that after a few reboots and reconnections the POE backhaul to the barn is finally stable.  It took a few tries to get the Eero to stop dropping that connection.  I think something in that connection might have lead to the constant "can't connect to internet" messages I was getting until it became stable.  After much playing around I finally got the 9 units located in a manner where they seem stable.  It's tough because I'm connecting to a metal skinned shop with windows 40' away and the metal skinned barn 50' away which I"m using POE and a small window to see the house. The Sonos has worked in the barn and shop no problem but the Eero doesn't seem as happy in the barn without the POE.  I moved the Sonos to Channel 6 to give the Eero an opportunity to use channel 1.  I then attempted to move the Sonos over to the Eero network and off of Sonosnet.  Doing this caused too much buffering and lost zones on the Sonos.  Not sure if this was a Sonos problem or Eero problem.  I read that Sonos can become a bandwidth hog under certain circumstances.  Going back to Sonosnet made the Sonos responsive again and took away the buffering from the Eeros network.  Now to give it a few days...