RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
akira181

openmediavault, unRaid or FreeNAS?

akira181

Hi all, wondering if anyone can help a noob with a media server / NAS build, mainly used for media sharing and file storage.

I have an old computer with 5 x 1TB HDD and a separate boot disk. It's currently running Windows 7 with Snapraid (one HDD for parity for a some redundancy).

I'm wanting to move away from the command line interface of SnapRAID and was looking into FreeNAS or unRaid. After a little reading, I then came across OpenMediaVault and with all the plugins available, I'm thinking that might be a better choice now.

But with my limited Linux experience and all the available options, I'm going round in circles. 

Can anyone offer some advice or experiences on the best option?

jmwills

Have you looked at any of the Drive Extender solutions, such as Drive Bender or StableBit?

awraynor

Have you looked at any of the Drive Extender solutions, such as Drive Bender or StableBit?

StableBit DrivePool works so well. Run in on my 2011 and Win10 box.

akira181

StableBit Drivepool looks good but am I right in staying that it only mirrors certain folders you tell it to mirror?  

I was hoping for a parity solution like SnapRAID where it can recover all data from one drive failure, not just recover mirrored files.

Al_Borges

Drive Pool is not a Mirror per se -  You "create"  a pool of drives  and then set it to duplicate your files across the entire pool.   This will protect you from a single drive failure.   There is an option  to protect your self from more than 1 drive failure when you set this up.

Works great with multiple drives -  I have 4 x 2TB drives in my pool,    Your 5 drives would make a good pool. 

It just works and since the drives are readable NTFS drives,  this gives some peace of mind if you have a motherboard or raid card failure.    Rebuilding a damaged Raid Array is not for the faint of heart

You can try it for 30 days if you want to check it out.  

akira181

So does the duplicate take up half the pool or just one drive similar to raid5?

I got nearly 2tb of data on my server and I'm not overly keen on moving that much data while trying various operating systems. Although it seems like I'll probably have to

Edited by akira181

Poppapete

You choose which files (folders) to duplicate and they will be duplicated on another drive in the pool.  You can duplicate all files if you wish. If you run stablebit scanner as well then you will be informed if a drive in the pool is likely to fail. So then you just tell Drivepool to take the failing one out of the pool and add a new one to the pool. My guess is that 2TB would be moved in less than 24 hours depending on hardware and what else the server is doing but Drashna would be able to tell you. Email him or he will eventually reply here I'm sure.

awraynor

And they have a free trial if  you just want to try it.