RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

b120i/b110i AHCI mode Windows driver

Niksr

Hi, MS Gen8 as well as other HP systems works in AHCI mode with Microsoft "Standard SATA AHCI controller". HP drivers aren't suitable for AHCI.

The Microsoft driver is 2006 y.o. and I feel that not all modern SSD features and performance is really supported.

I tried to install "Intel RST" driver that is compatible by Hardware ID (but only old, 2013 version driver was recognized automatically) but ended up with BSOD "inaccessible_boot_device".

Any thoughts on that or everyone happy with standard driver?

Edited by Niksr

MS Gen8 as well as other HP systems works in AHCI mode with Microsoft "Standard SATA AHCI controller".

The B120i controller is just the Intel chipset SATA controller. In B120i mode it uses a HP BIOS extension and a HP OS driver. In AHCI mode, it just uses the regular drivers.

The Microsoft driver is 2006 y.o. and I feel that not all modern SSD features and performance is really supported.

There hasn't been any significant changes to AHCI that would warrant an entirely new driver. A 2006 AHCI driver is fine and supports everything already. The higher levels in the OS just need the ability to passthrough commands such as TRIM.

I tried to install "Intel RST" driver that is compatible by Hardware ID (but only old, 2013 version driver was recognized automatically) but ended up with BSOD "inaccessible_boot_device".

The Intel RST driver uses non-standard Intel extensions to the SATA controller. It should be compatible as mentioned previously. The Intel chipset (C204) lists RST as a supported feature. As for why you can't load the driver, I've no idea.

Intel RST doesnt work due to something hp has done with the bios

I use this ahci driver from the intel inf installer

Untitled.png

Intel RST doesnt work due to something hp has done with the bios

I use this ahci driver from the intel inf installer

Untitled.png

Thanks for info HSS Champion , i will try ahci driver from the intel inf installer

o.png

• 1 month later...

Thank you, confirmed, it works.

However, the latest Intel INF (10.1.1.14) does not contain driver for AHCI. Obviously, it was moved to RST driver. I extracted their installer and looked into INFs, nothing related to SATA.

I used INF from Dell Intel C600/X79 Series Chipset Driver, Version H00. This version is slightly newer (9.2.3.1032, 25/07/2013) than on picture above. 
 http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=Y54F9

Then, I picked "6 port diver"  manually since it did not recognized as "compatible" because Dell HardwareId ended with 1D02 instead of 1C02. Works fine.