RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can anyone tell me what is better about Luma compared to Eero?

Option

Can anyone tell me what is better about Luma compared to Eero? I am not understanding why everyone who is so frustrated with Luma has not taken Eero up on their price-matching offer? Comparing both units as they operate today, I can't find much of a difference and I have more confidence in Eero working properly consistantly since it has had more time to mature in the real world. So if you can get a more mature product that does the same thing as Luma for the discounted Luma pre-order price AND you can get it right now, why is everyone hanging on for their delayed Luma pre-orders?

That is a great question.  I'm recording a podcast tonight and will address this in detail.  Sorry not to answer here but will post a link here when it's posted.

Can anyone tell me what is better about Luma compared to Eero? I am not understanding why everyone who is so frustrated with Luma has not taken Eero up on their price-matching offer? Comparing both units as they operate today, I can't find much of a difference and I have more confidence in Eero working properly consistantly since it has had more time to mature in the real world. So if you can get a more mature product that does the same thing as Luma for the discounted Luma pre-order price AND you can get it right now, why is everyone hanging on for their delayed Luma pre-orders?

Well if they released what they said they were going to release, then it would have been: cheaper price, visibility, better security and filtering. And if the performance claims are true then Luma has that advantage too (waiting to hear HSS Dave's performance testing results). BUT.... given the visibility features are vaporware and don't exist, I have NO idea why anyone would wait for their delayed Luma order. I've already installed mine so no point switching to Eero since I don't see an advantage in the other direction either.

Well if they released what they said they were going to release, then it would have been: cheaper price, visibility, better security and filtering. And if the performance claims are true then Luma has that advantage too (waiting to hear HSS Dave's performance testing results). BUT.... given the visibility features are vaporware and don't exist, I have NO idea why anyone would wait for their delayed Luma order. I've already installed mine so no point switching to Eero since I don't see an advantage in the other direction either.

Thank you for the reply dz8. I know Luma was supposed to have superior security but can you tell me what you mean by Luma's expected "visibility" advantage?

That is a great question.  I'm recording a podcast tonight and will address this in detail.  Sorry not to answer here but will post a link here when it's posted.

Excellent, thank you! Can you confirm on your podcast if ethernet backhaul is supported on Luma? I wired my house in preparation for my Luma order only to learn about the conflicting accounts of whether it is currently supported or not. (have heard both directly from Luma people)

Thank you for the reply dz8. I know Luma was supposed to have superior security but can you tell me what you mean by Luma's expected "visibility" advantage?

Excellent, thank you! Can you confirm on your podcast if ethernet backhaul is supported on Luma?

By visibility - they showcased a feature in one of their videos showing how parents could check in on what their kids were surfing (websites etc). Theoretically this type of visibility could give you insight into what's happening in your network, what your IoT devices are doing, major peace of mind knowing there isn't unknown outbound traffic generators (viruses, worms, spam bots, rogue devices, etc) in your network. But alas, this feature seems to not be in the shipping product although it was one of the main reasons I waited for Luma.

For backhaul, there's no mention of it in the app. No mention in the docs. I have tried hooking it up a couple ways and found no traffic being back hauled at least from my switch port statistics in my network. Maybe HSS Dave figured out how to enable it? (Hoping)

Minimal review, but....

http://www.eerovsluma.com/

That was interesting read, Not sure what fiber has to do with anything but OK. The review failed to tell us what the internet speed should of been other then Eero providing lighting fast internet, That tells me nothing ;)

Edited by itGeeks

It is a sparse review. I assume the fiber system he has requires him to continue to use the router from the fiber provider. I believe he is implying that Eero works fine behind his router and Luma is having issues, but I am guessing. He states his internet is 100Mb and Eero is giving him 80-90Mb, while Luma is in the 60's. More details on testing would be nice. I posted in his comment section to get more info.

I came to the same conclusions as Schoondoggy.  It was really just a relative test between the two systems and not so much an absolute measurement test.

One thing I have to wonder as people start speed testing these networks is do they know which radio and channel they are using?  It can make a huge difference.

I came to the same conclusions as Schoondoggy.  It was really just a relative test between the two systems and not so much an absolute measurement test.

One thing I have to wonder as people start speed testing these networks is do they know which radio and channel they are using?  It can make a huge difference.

Reminder if you're using a Mac, that you can hold the option key down when clicking on the Wifi indicator in your menu bar. This will show which channel / frequency you're on. Unfortunately which Luma node you're using is transparent and thus you can't get this information.