RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First Take on Luma Experience

dz8

Yeah, this is the outage I mentioned. I had the same problem where my kids' devices were connected and could ping each other, but no Internet. For me it was only limited to users I set a filter rating on. Unfiltered users have never had a problem in the 1+week I have had the system online.

I have also unplugged ethernet from the second and third devices. I can't remember if I did that before the connection issue or after.

They didn't mention a soft date for ethernet backhaul did they? I would think that would solve a lot of the between-node communications issues.

Because Luma offers no easy way to identify devices I assigned them to users as I signed them on.  Otherwise the task would be very unwieldy.  I also set the master filtering level at "R" while setting user specific filter levels.  Based on your advice, I left the individual users where they were but turned off the master rating.  After a few minutes things are back up and running (I think).  With 4 kids in the house (ages 15, 13, 9, & 9) I really can't turn filtering off altogether.  If that's the solution then I'll throw Eero back up or at least my old netgear with opendds.  If this temporary solution holds then I'm OK.

And no, they didn't mention the backhaul specifically beyond just saying the firmware at the end of this month.

How do you have Luma connected to your network? Your having some strange problems, Luma has been working well for me but I am only using 1. The other thing is there is no web browser admin page so you can't access the Luma by IP. They say its coming though.

Modem-->Luma--> invisible gremlins standing between the internet and the people in my house.  OK, maybe not that last part.

Luma #1 is wired to modem.  Luma's #2 and 3 and wifi only at this point.

Luma told me yesterday on the phone that Ethernet backhaul was active on release, I told them your problem in that you did not think it was working and they told me to tell you to reset Luma and try again. They said if you still felt it was not working you should call them 800-684-5862

Please keep us posted.

Have you tried it? If it's active on release, I'm curious as to why there's no mention of it anywhere, they responded on Amazon saying it's not there yet, there's no instructions (even on their site) on which port you should be plugging your ethernet into (on the secondary devices). And again, I saw no traffic being backhauled over it. Did they say why a reset would help (given I had the ethernet cables plugged into during setup)? Sounds like the usual half-assed support comment to me. I'll give them a ring but curious if anyone else has seen that it is actually implemented and working.

Have you tried it? If it's active on release, I'm curious as to why there's no mention of it anywhere, they responded on Amazon saying it's not there yet, there's no instructions (even on their site) on which port you should be plugging your ethernet into (on the secondary devices). And again, I saw no traffic being backhauled over it. Did they say why a reset would help (given I had the ethernet cables plugged into during setup)? Sounds like the usual half-assed support comment to me. I'll give them a ring but curious if anyone else has seen that it is actually implemented and working.

I have not tried it but Ethernet backhaul is very much alive on Luma if setup correctly. There documentation has not caught up yet. As for there FAQ's on Amazon for you and anyone else reading this please take all that with a grain of salt, I lost faith in those FAQ's several weeks ago when I saw what they where recommending FiOs customers to do in order to use Luma. They stated anyone with FiOs should put there FiOs routers in bridge mode well let me tell you something anyone that tries and put there FiOs routers in bridge mode that has anything other the internet will break there FiOs services. The correct ansewer is to hang Luma off a DMZ from the FiOs router and create two different networks. So please take those FAQ's with a grain of salt. Now on to the setup according to level 2 support, See below-

There are two ways to setup Ethernet backhaul, 1st is to daisy chain one Luma to the other by connecting the first Luma out port to the 2nd Luma in port then the 2nd Luma out port to the 3rd Luma in port, Ect.

The 2nd way is if you have a switch on your network just setup the first Luma up and then add the additional Luma's by connecting a Ethernet cable from the switch to the in port of each Luma.

This is the setup Luma has told me several times, If it does not seem to work then please call them like they asked you to do in order to get this resolved.

I hope this helps.

Edited by itGeeks

There are two ways to setup Ethernet backhaul, 1st is to daisy chain one Luma to the other by connecting the first Luma out port to the 2nd Luma in port then the 2nd Luma out port to the 3rd Luma in port, Ect.

The 2nd way is if you have a switch on your network just setup the first Luma up and then add the additional Luma's by connecting a Ethernet cable from the switch to the in port of each Luma.

This is the setup Luma has told me several times, If it does not seem to work then please call them like they asked you to do in order to get this resolved.

I hope this helps.

Would it matter if I daisy chain the first 2 and leave the 3rd on wifi only? I don't have a line up to the third but I have a line running between the first two.

I have not tried it but Ethernet backhaul is very much alive on Luma if setup correctly. There documentation has not caught up yet. As for there FAQ's on Amazon for you and anyone else reading this please take all that with a grain of salt, I lost faith in those FAQ's several weeks ago when I saw what they where recommending FiOs customers to do in order to use Luma. They stated anyone with FiOs should put there FiOs routers in bridge mode well let me tell you something anyone that tries and put there FiOs routers in bridge mode that has anything other the internet will break there FiOs services. The correct ansewer is to hang Luma off a DMZ from the FiOs router and create two different networks. So please take those FAQ's with a grain of salt. Now on to the setup according to level 2 support, See below-

I hope this helps.

Ok, so I spoke with Luma Support and they said exactly what you said. Luma #1 OUT to a switch. And then switch to Luma #2 IN and Luma #3 IN. Or you can daisy chain. And so I tried it. And I ran into some massive problems which took down part of my network. Had to flush the ARP cache on many of my switches to get things running again. Need to call Luma support tomorrow.

In a nutshell, even though I took care to plug into the IN ports on Luma #2 and Luma #3, it looks like the secondary Lumas began taking packets from WIRED devices on the same switch and transmitting them wirelessly to Luma #1. Basically it created a circular network. How do I know?

1.) My main switch's ARP table started showing the MACs for wired devices on the wrong physical port - as if they were reachable by going wireless between two Lumas instead of switch to switch

2.) My main switch's interface statistics showed increasing traffic on that same wrong physical port I mentioned in #1 above instead of the correct physical port through which the traffic should be going

3.) Powering down Luma #2 I felt was guilty of intercepting this traffic caused a network outage for the wired devices whose MAC showed up on the wrong physical port in #1 above

4.) No physical connections were changed as part of me testing ethernet backhaul and it was working correctly before the test

5.) After flushing the ARP cache on my switches, and again, without physical connection changes aside from unplugging the ethernet cable from Luma #2 and Luma #3's IN ports, network connectivity was restored for the wired devices effected and the ARP table on my main switch showed MACs assigned to the correct physical ports again

It's almost as if I plugged into the OUT port of the Luma #2/#3 instead of the IN port but that's not the case. I triple checked I plugged into IN. So something is wrong. Need to talk to support tomorrow.

Am I wrong to believe that the Luma #2/#3 should only be using the IN ethernet connection to talk to Luma #1 on behalf of WIRELESS devices talking to it, and NOT be doing something funky with WIRED devices on the same switch?

Edited by dz8
  • Like 1

Would it matter if I daisy chain the first 2 and leave the 3rd on wifi only? I don't have a line up to the third but I have a line running between the first two.

I would so no it does not matter. Hookup what you can to Ethernet and leave the rest wireless mesh.

Ok, so I spoke with Luma Support and they said exactly what you said. Luma #1 OUT to a switch. And then switch to Luma #2 IN and Luma #3 IN. Or you can daisy chain. And so I tried it. And I ran into some massive problems which took down part of my network. Had to flush the ARP cache on many of my switches to get things running again. Need to call Luma support tomorrow.

In a nutshell, even though I took care to plug into the IN ports on Luma #2 and Luma #3, it looks like the secondary Lumas began taking packets from WIRED devices on the same switch and transmitting them wirelessly to Luma #1. Basically it created a circular network. How do I know?

1.) My main switch's ARP table started showing the MACs for wired devices on the wrong physical port - as if they were reachable by going wireless between two Lumas instead of switch to switch

2.) My main switch's interface statistics showed increasing traffic on that same wrong physical port I mentioned in #1 above instead of the correct physical port through which the traffic should be going

3.) Powering down Luma #2 I felt was guilty of intercepting this traffic caused a network outage for the wired devices whose MAC showed up on the wrong physical port in #1 above

4.) No physical connections were changed as part of me testing ethernet backhaul and it was working correctly before the test

5.) After flushing the ARP cache on my switches, and again, without physical connection changes aside from unplugging the ethernet cable from Luma #2 and Luma #3's IN ports, network connectivity was restored for the wired devices effected and the ARP table on my main switch showed MACs assigned to the correct physical ports again

It's almost as if I plugged into the OUT port of the Luma #2/#3 instead of the IN port but that's not the case. I triple checked I plugged into IN. So something is wrong. Need to talk to support tomorrow.

Am I wrong to believe that the Luma #2/#3 should only be using the IN ethernet connection to talk to Luma #1 on behalf of WIRELESS devices talking to it, and NOT be doing something funky with WIRED devices on the same switch?

Ouch. I am really not sure about your question, I would say Luma support today and let them try and get you sorted out. Please keep us posted. If nothing else its people like us that will help Luma become a better product.

I would so no it does not matter. Hookup what you can to Ethernet and leave the rest wireless mesh.

Any thoughts about powerline adapters for ethernet backhaul?

Any thoughts about powerline adapters for ethernet backhaul?

Generally speaking anything wired should be better then wireless. That said regarding powerline its going to depend on your wiring and how the powerline adapter handles circuit hops if the powerline adapters are not on the same circuit. The new powerline spec is better then 1st gen but manufacturer testing is going to be needed. I have had very good luck with the newer Netgear powerline adapters but again mileage will vary. MoCA adapters would be a better option if you have coax where you want to install the AP as long as your coax & spliters are in great shape. One such MoCA device I have heard really good things about is Action Tech http://www.actiontec.com/products/14.php

This would be the MoCA adapter I would recommend, It will give you as close to 1 GB wired speed as you can get without running Ethernet http://www.actiontec.com/339.html

Edited by itGeeks

Alright so thanks to dchay, a Luma Support Manager contacted me directly to look at my issue. I spoke with them earlier today and provided a network diagram and further details. They escalated to engineering. Hopefully they figure out what's going on.

In the meantime, I have removed the ethernet cables from Luma #2/#3 and am going full wireless for now. And things are working fine.

Edited by dz8
  • Like 1