RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
dz8

First Take on Luma Experience

itGeeks

Thanks for the update, I am glad Luma seems to be running well for you now. Touching on this, I ran another speed test this morning on my Samsung Note 4 and the speeds are much better today 110 MBs up 120 MBs down, The Luma app is reporting 150 MBs down but only 65 MBs up so its miss reporting my upload speed. I have FiOs 150/150, When my Note 4 was connected to the FiOs wireless router I was getting 150/150 so its not a device limitation. Overall I am really liking Luma and the mobile app though its limited right now I know this will get better over time as they roll out firmware updates :)

Regarding number 4.) [ENHANCEMENT] IP+MAC ADDRESS provided for devices in the device list above, This info is already there you just have to click on the device name to bring up the info.

Regarding your list above I would also like to add to that-

1.) [MISSING MARKETED FEATURE] Antivirus & Malware protection

2.) [MISSING MARKETED FEATURE] The abilities to configure & manage Luma from a internet browser, Luma support told me many weeks ago this was possible but at this point its not.

3.) [ENHANCEMENT] The ability to be able to give devices a friendly name on the device tab, As we know names that are letters & numbers such as Android devices are completely useless.

4.) [ENHANCEMENT] Add the signal strength of the client device to the device tab, This would give us a birds eye view of the health of all devices and may aid in trouble shooting. Open-Mesh has this and its really nice knowing this info.

5.) [ENHANCEMENT] Add DNS & Web caching, This would greatly improve the speed of surfing the internet.

6.) [ENHANCEMENT] Add a trouble shooting tab to the application with simple tools such as trace-route and ping, This would help in trouble shooting and or just being able to test the health of out network.

7.) [ENHANCEMENT] The ability to add DNS-Forwarders so client devices can use a different DNS from the IN/WAN DNS, I like my clients to use OpenDNS for another level of protection. Services such as OpenDNS should not be used on the WAN interface when the router has the added protection of virus/malware/content blocking as it could and probably will interfere with all that.

Don't worry schoondoggy We will help Luma mature this product into an enthusiast product yet :D

[ENHANCEMENT] Allow us to see what band the client is connected to on the device tab-> details where the MAC/IP address is shown along with adding the signal strength on the same page.

I think that is correct, but only when the AP is using the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5 bands. On my current AP I have the bands as separate SSID. For the people currently, playing with Luma, did you have a choice in setting up the bands?

There are no choices for setting up bands in Luma and I preferred it this way for reasons I said to Jason already.

itGeeks

Not on the iOS app. I assume you're using Android? on the iOS app, tapping on the device does nothing. No additional information is shown.

Nope, no choice setting up the bands. It uses the same SSID. So yeah, perhap it's the Mac doing the right thing.

Sorry I did not know you where on iOS and I also did not know that the Android and iOS apps where not on feature parity and I guess that also explains y I had so much setup trouble and you did not.

dz8

Sorry I did not know you where on iOS and I also did not know that the Android and iOS apps where not on feature parity and I guess that also explains y I had so much setup trouble and you did not.

Not sure what I would prefer more... ease of setup but an app that doesn't do much... or harder to setup but app that has more bells and whistles :)

dz8

Update after Day 6

My kids' devices (all of them) stopped working today. None of the devices assigned to anyone else was affected. Phones, tablets, laptops, all went dead just for my kids. And they were the only ones with access restrictions enabled. Was all good for the first six days, but today, they were completely offline. They were connected to Wifi but could not reach the Internet. Ping tests showed their devices were connected and reachable. And targeting local IPs on the same subnet worked. But the Lumas would not let them through to the Internet. Removing their access restrictions didn't help either. It's like they were black balled. Nothing I did would work. I finally rebooted all three Lumas and then they were back. Fun.

I can only imagine something is wrong with their filter/restriction system now and it got wedged. Another bug Luma needs to fix.

In addition, one of the Lumas didn't come back. It was stuck with the spinning blue light which I believe means it was unable to communicate with the main Luma. Left it spinning there for 20 minutes. No go. Moved it about 30ft closer to the main Luma and it finally connected. I'm sure it's having a hard time wirelessly connecting to the main Luma -- but that's kinda the point why I wanted to move to a mesh system. The lack of ethernet backhaul is biting me in the butt here. LUMA. Hurry up!

FWIW, the speeds have been great. No issues of any kind in that category, as long as the system is running. Sigh.

Edited by dz8

rgreenpc

Hate to sit here and say I am glad I switched... But I am.

Was laughing during the last HSS podcast saying "Dave is talking about me again"

My wife was wondering why I was laughing while mowing the yard.

schoondoggy

FWIW the forthcoming Open-Mesh 6.2 beta release will allow dedicated radio freqs by SSID.

Good to know.

Did you test your Luma yet?

Have you tested the performance of your Open-Mesh?

itGeeks

Update after Day 6

My kids' devices (all of them) stopped working today. None of the devices assigned to anyone else was affected. Phones, tablets, laptops, all went dead just for my kids. And they were the only ones with access restrictions enabled. Was all good for the first six days, but today, they were completely offline. They were connected to Wifi but could not reach the Internet. Ping tests showed their devices were connected and reachable. And targeting local IPs on the same subnet worked. But the Lumas would not let them through to the Internet. Removing their access restrictions didn't help either. It's like they were black balled. Nothing I did would work. I finally rebooted all three Lumas and then they were back. Fun.

I can only imagine something is wrong with their filter/restriction system now and it got wedged. Another bug Luma needs to fix.

In addition, one of the Lumas didn't come back. It was stuck with the spinning blue light which I believe means it was unable to communicate with the main Luma. Left it spinning there for 20 minutes. No go. Moved it about 30ft closer to the main Luma and it finally connected. I'm sure it's having a hard time wirelessly connecting to the main Luma -- but that's kinda the point why I wanted to move to a mesh system. The lack of ethernet backhaul is biting me in the butt here. LUMA. Hurry up!

FWIW, the speeds have been great. No issues of any kind in that category, as long as the system is running. Sigh.

Thanks for the update. I have not tried the restrictions yet because I have no little ones here but I need to test soon because one of these Luma's if our testing works out will go to my daughters and she has 2 little ones that I want to protect online, What restriction did you have set when you had problems? I will also test and let you know if I have the same problem. Like you my download speeds have been good however my upload speeds have been half of what they should, Both the Luma app and speedtest.net confirm this so I am not sure whats going on with that. I can only hope that clears over time. I know its not a device problem because I was getting 150/150 on this device when connected to the FiOs wireless router. This is on the 5GHz band.

itGeeks

Another forum member pointed out it is the device (and not the AP) that determines the frequency band that it uses.  It doesn't seem that this is Luma automatically switching but rather the Mac is doing it.  Maybe I am wrong but I surely don't want people thinking the AP is doing it if it really is not.

Edit - just to be clear, I am assuming that bandsteering is not working (as noted above).  If it is working then it is possible for the AP to do it.  However, how do we know if it is working?

On Windows you can see what band your using by opening a Command prompt as admin and paste the following command and hit enter, Netsh WLAN show interfaces

It will show you what channel your using and based on that you will know what band your on. Chanels 1-11 = 2.4GHz any channels over 11 = 5GHz

You can review all the Netsh commands here: http://www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-wireless-networks-using-command-prompt-windows-10

dz8

Thanks for the update. I have not tried the restrictions yet because I have no little ones here but I need to test soon because one of these Luma's if our testing works out will go to my daughters and she has 2 little ones that I want to protect online, What restriction did you have set when you had problems? I will also test and let you know if I have the same problem. Like you my download speeds have been good however my upload speeds have been half of what they should, Both the Luma app and speedtest.net confirm this so I am not sure whats going on with that. I can only hope that clears over time. I know its not a device problem because I was getting 150/150 on this device when connected to the FiOs wireless router. This is on the 5GHz band.

One was set to PG and the other was actually set to R. Both kids got black balled. Every other device is on Unrestricted and they functioned flawlessly during the outage for my kids. If it was just one device for each kid, then I would think it's unrelated. But all of their individual devices were locked out and no other device was. So I definitely suspect something to do with the restrictions since they were the only two users with restrictions enabled.

My uploads have been fine. Maxed out since I have had the units both in the Luma app and with speedtest.

Hate to sit here and say I am glad I switched... But I am.

Was laughing during the last HSS podcast saying "Dave is talking about me again"

My wife was wondering why I was laughing while mowing the yard.

Haha. Well I'm not so worried about these bugs. I believe the Eero's had bugs upon first release as well and they are stable now after 6 months.

What I am worried about is all the features they promised that are still missing. If those features show up (and work well) and they iron out these bugs like Eero did, then I'm satisfied with the purchase. But if in 6 months, the features are still not what they promised and the units continue having these bugs, then yeah, I'm switching to something else.

itGeeks

One was set to PG and the other was actually set to R. Both kids got black balled. Every other device is on Unrestricted and they functioned flawlessly during the outage for my kids. If it was just one device for each kid, then I would think it's unrelated. But all of their individual devices were locked out and no other device was. So I definitely suspect something to do with the restrictions since they were the only two users with restrictions enabled.

My uploads have been fine. Maxed out since I have had the units both in the Luma app and with speedtest.

Haha. Well I'm not so worried about these bugs. I believe the Eero's had bugs upon first release as well and they are stable now after 6 months.

What I am worried about is all the features they promised that are still missing. If those features show up (and work well) and they iron out these bugs like Eero did, then I'm satisfied with the purchase. But if in 6 months, the features are still not what they promised and the units continue having these bugs, then yeah, I'm switching to something else.

Thanks for the update. What is your internet speed both up/down? Its funny because even the Luma app is reporting I only have 70 mbps upload when I have 150 Mbps,  This is also confirmed with speedtest.net that Luma is only allowing 70 mbps upload, For downloads Luma is more on target though not perfect @130 Mbps and not 150 mbps.

And I agree with you on the whole Eero vs Luma growing pains and I have to believe Luma will look very shiny after 6 months. You know there is an old saying in that those hew laugh first will cry later :D

All kidding aside I still believe Luma is going to be the better buy but only time will tell. Things really got goofed up someplace along the line but I believe given the chance Luma is going to make good on there promises and beyond. If I am wrong then I am sure I can count on getting flamed big time on this forum and that's a chance I will take because I feel so strongly about the future of Luma and what it has or will have to offer in the near future. This statement is coming from a guy that is very hard to please when it comes to tech so no one should take my endorsement lightly. That said would I put Luma in my daughters or another family members house right now? No. I have it installed by me and I am using it as my primary router y I am testing and allowing time for Luma to fix and add features before I deploy the 3 extra Luma's I still have here in a box. I am hoping to be able to deploy them over the next 3 months or so.

Edited by itGeeks