RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First Take on Luma Experience

dz8

Update After Day 5

No more hiccups / power cycles since Day 3. It took 48 hours the first time however so let's see what happens tonight/tomorrow. But system is humming along right now.

Hopefully Luma releases updated firmware and an updated app that adds the various missing vaporware features soon. The ones I'd really like in order:

1.) [MISSING MARKETED FEATURE] Ethernet backhaul

2.) [MISSING MARKETED FEATURE] Audit/logging/reporting/visibility into traffic (netstat-like connection list as well)

3.) [MISSING MARKETED FEATURE] Per-user time limits on Internet use

4.) [ENHANCEMENT] IP+MAC ADDRESS provided for devices in the device list (hard to tell what everything is just by device name - especially IoT devices)

5.) [ENHANCEMENT] Ability to see which Luma node each device is currently connected to

6.) [ENHANCEMENT] User configurable network/mask for the Lumas

7.) [ENHANCEMENT] User configurable DHCP range

8.) [ENHANCEMENT] User configurable guest network name

9.) [ENHANCEMENT] Outbound firewall rules support (layer 7 would be nice)

10.) [MISSING NO-BRAINER FEATURE] Port Forwarding

Thanks for the update, I am glad Luma seems to be running well for you now. Touching on this, I ran another speed test this morning on my Samsung Note 4 and the speeds are much better today 110 MBs up 120 MBs down, The Luma app is reporting 150 MBs down but only 65 MBs up so its miss reporting my upload speed. I have FiOs 150/150, When my Note 4 was connected to the FiOs wireless router I was getting 150/150 so its not a device limitation. Overall I am really liking Luma and the mobile app though its limited right now I know this will get better over time as they roll out firmware updates :)

Regarding number 4.) [ENHANCEMENT] IP+MAC ADDRESS provided for devices in the device list above, This info is already there you just have to click on the device name to bring up the info.

Regarding your list above I would also like to add to that-

1.) [MISSING MARKETED FEATURE] Antivirus & Malware protection

2.) [MISSING MARKETED FEATURE] The abilities to configure & manage Luma from a internet browser, Luma support told me many weeks ago this was possible but at this point its not.

3.) [ENHANCEMENT] The ability to be able to give devices a friendly name on the device tab, As we know names that are letters & numbers such as Android devices are completely useless.

4.) [ENHANCEMENT] Add the signal strength of the client device to the device tab, This would give us a birds eye view of the health of all devices and may aid in trouble shooting. Open-Mesh has this and its really nice knowing this info.

5.) [ENHANCEMENT] Add DNS & Web caching, This would greatly improve the speed of surfing the internet.

6.) [ENHANCEMENT] Add a trouble shooting tab to the application with simple tools such as trace-route and ping, This would help in trouble shooting and or just being able to test the health of out network.

7.) [ENHANCEMENT] The ability to add DNS-Forwarders so client devices can use a different DNS from the IN/WAN DNS, I like my clients to use OpenDNS for another level of protection. Services such as OpenDNS should not be used on the WAN interface when the router has the added protection of virus/malware/content blocking as it could and probably will interfere with all that.

Don't worry schoondoggy We will help Luma mature this product into an enthusiast product yet :D

Edited by itGeeks

Thanks! FWIW, my Macs seem to do the right thing with the Lumas. With high signal strength or direct line of sight, they use the 5GHz band from the Lumas. Behind a few walls and further away, they seem to run on 2.4GHz.

Then Luma seems to be doing the right thing at least as far as your Macs go, As we know the 5GHz band is not as strong as the 2.4GHz so the fact that Luma is automatically switching the band to keep you connected seems like a plus+ in my eyes.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Edited by itGeeks

Then Luma seems to be doing the right thing at least as far as your Macs go, As we know the 5GHz band is not as strong as the 2.4GHz so the fact that Luma is automatically switching the band to keep you connected seems like a plus+ in my eyes.

Another forum member pointed out it is the device (and not the AP) that determines the frequency band that it uses.  It doesn't seem that this is Luma automatically switching but rather the Mac is doing it.  Maybe I am wrong but I surely don't want people thinking the AP is doing it if it really is not.

Edit - just to be clear, I am assuming that bandsteering is not working (as noted above).  If it is working then it is possible for the AP to do it.  However, how do we know if it is working?

Thanks for the update, I am glad Luma seems to be running well for you now. Touching on this, I ran another speed test this morning on my Samsung Note 4 and the speeds are much better today 110 MBs up 120 MBs down, The Luma app is reporting 150 MBs down but only 65 MBs up so its miss reporting my upload speed. I have FiOs 150/150, When my Note 4 was connected to the FiOs wireless router I was getting 150/150 so its not a device limitation. Overall I am really liking Luma and the mobile app though its limited right now I know this will get better over time as they roll out firmware updates :)

Regarding number 4.) [ENHANCEMENT] IP+MAC ADDRESS provided for devices in the device list above, This info is already there you just have to click on the device name to bring up the info.

Regarding your list above I would also like to add to that-

1.) [MISSING MARKETED FEATURE] Antivirus & Malware protection

2.) [MISSING MARKETED FEATURE] The abilities to configure & manage Luma from a internet browser, Luma support told me many weeks ago this was possible but at this point its not.

3.) [ENHANCEMENT] The ability to be able to give devices a friendly name on the device tab, As we know names that are letters & numbers such as Android devices are completely useless.

4.) [ENHANCEMENT] Add the signal strength of the client device to the device tab, This would give us a birds eye view of the health of all devices and may aid in trouble shooting. Open-Mesh has this and its really nice knowing this info.

5.) [ENHANCEMENT] Add DNS & Web caching, This would greatly improve the speed of surfing the internet.

6.) [ENHANCEMENT] Add a trouble shooting tab to the application with simple tools such as trace-route and ping, This would help in trouble shooting and or just being able to test the health of out network.

7.) [ENHANCEMENT] The ability to add DNS-Forwarders so client devices can use a different DNS from the IN/WAN DNS, I like my clients to use OpenDNS for another level of protection. Services such as OpenDNS should not be used on the WAN interface when the router has the added protection of virus/malware/content blocking as it could and probably will interfere with all that.

Don't worry schoondoggy We will help Luma mature this product into an enthusiast product yet :D

I think you mean Mb not MB. 

Another forum member pointed out it is the device (and not the AP) that determines the frequency band that it uses.  It doesn't seem that this is Luma automatically switching but rather the Mac is doing it.  Maybe I am wrong but I surely don't want people thinking the AP is doing it if it really is not.

Edit - just to be clear, I am assuming that bandsteering is not working (as noted above).  If it is working then it is possible for the AP to do it.  However, how do we know if it is working?

I think that is correct, but only when the AP is using the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5 bands. On my current AP I have the bands as separate SSID. For the people currently, playing with Luma, did you have a choice in setting up the bands?

Not on the iOS app. I assume you're using Android? on the iOS app, tapping on the device does nothing. No additional information is shown.

I think that is correct, but only when the AP is using the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5 bands. On my current AP I have the bands as separate SSID. For the people currently, playing with Luma, did you have a choice in setting up the bands?

Nope, no choice setting up the bands. It uses the same SSID. So yeah, perhap it's the Mac doing the right thing.

FWIW the forthcoming Open-Mesh 6.2 beta release will allow dedicated radio freqs by SSID.

Hmm, That's not necessarily a good thing. I would rather none of these WAP solutions allow you to select the band manually but instead lump both the 2.4 and 5 GHz under one SSID and let the WAP and device decide whats the best band to use. Y? Because as we know the 5 GHz does not penetrate or go as far as the 2.4 GHz band but offers better speed and less congestion because there are a lot more channels then the 2.4 GHz band. Think about it this way you now select the 5 GHz band over the 2.4 GHz band but now you walk out of the short rang it offers and your internet dies, This will be what happens vs you let the WAP and device negotiate what band is best and chances are you will stay connected with the best speed. this is what 'Band-Steering' does  and is a must on WAP's in order to help any troubled devices get connected to the fastest none crowded band. Android & iOS would be some examples of devices that could benefit from 'Band Steering'. As much as I love Open-Mesh I think they are only adding support to allow end-users the ability to select what band to connect to as a fix to the root problem of there 'band-steering' not working well with some devices. That said I don't think Open-Mesh is the only company having trouble with 'band steering' with some devices.

Now if Open-Mesh is implementing this new feature as a preferred band much like the Intel wireless adapters allow you to do but will allow the devices to fall-back to the none preferred channel then I welcome the new feature and think all other manufactures should follow. This would still use 'band-steering' but it would aid in not totally relying on it from the start because we would set what band we want as the primary.

Edited by itGeeks

Yes and no. In a perfect world the device should determine what band to use and in most cases when your dealing with an OS like Windows it does but with mobile devices such as Android/iOS its a mixed bag, I for one don't understand y we can't select the preferred band on Android like we can with Windows/Intel wireless cards and maybe other brands but we can't so technology like 'band steering' is in place to help those troubled devices connect to the best band. Regarding how do we if 'band-steering' is working, Through performance tests witch reminds me I wanted to add that to my feature request on the Luma app along with seeing the signal strength of the device, Thanks for reminding me.

Edited by itGeeks