• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• dz8

• cskenney

• awraynor

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personal Review: Luma 3-Pack White   Sorry, this won't be a crazy technical review. I'm a busy guy. Just wanted to provide my experience after having the Luma system for one day.   My Network  

More Updates   This product definitely looks rushed out the door. I have not had any performance or connection issues yet. Still good in that regard and speeds are fast throughout the house. BUT, af

I read your review on Amazon, You are spot on with it and you did it in a nice way. We can only hope things will get better going forward because god knows its been a rocky start. Only time will tell.

@scott2020,

In addition to what I said above please have a look at the link below for more info on the problem awraynor was having with Eero and his old modem, I understand your having trouble with Luma and not Eero but this could still apply. http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11559-router-and-dns-latency/

Charter was out about a year ago and installed an Arris TM1602a.  I am not renting it.  Charter provides them "free" with their internet/phone service.  Signals are good running 40.37 SNR and 3.90 dBmV power on all 9 downstream channels.  There are very view FEC or anything abnormal.

My speeds are 64 down and 4 up having tested several times.  My speed tests on Luma are also the same.

My latency from my macbook on 5ghz on Luma, when pinging google DNS runs about 300 to 400 ms.  The same machine on TP link 5 ghz is 20-30ms.  

Maybe I will try the Lumas behind my Pfsense firewall as others have, and possibly use ethernet backhaul to my upstairs location, but I have to use one of my MOCA connectors.

@scott2020, also try plugging in your Shoutcast Player directly to a Luma instead of the switch and see if the problem resolves. In fact, try removing the switch entirely for this test first just to cover all bases. They key is to find out where the problem lies particularly. It reminds me of tracking down a rattle on my bicycle (man, it sounded like it came from the wheel and it was actually the seat!).

Charter was out about a year ago and installed an Arris TM1602a.  I am not renting it.  Charter provides them "free" with their internet/phone service.  Signals are good running 40.37 SNR and 3.90 dBmV power on all 9 downstream channels.  There are very view FEC or anything abnormal.

My speeds are 64 down and 4 up having tested several times.  My speed tests on Luma are also the same.

My latency from my macbook on 5ghz on Luma, when pinging google DNS runs about 300 to 400 ms.  The same machine on TP link 5 ghz is 20-30ms.  

Maybe I will try the Lumas behind my Pfsense firewall as others have, and possibly use ethernet backhaul to my upstairs location, but I have to use one of my MOCA connectors.

Ouch, Those ping times send chills down my back, I would even argue that the pings from the TP link are to high but of course part of it is dependent on how many hops you are from Google DNS. Have you tried running a tracert 8.8.8.8 from an elevated command prompt to see how many hops you are from Google and what each hop is reporting back for the ping time? Also if you can connect a device directly to the 'out port' of Luma 1 (hub) and run another ping to Google and see what you get.

1. Is Luma connected directly to your modem or is it behind another router?

2. I would say yes try and get all the Luma (nodes) connected and using Eithernet backhaul, Using your MoCA is a great idea as long as your using the new MoCA 2.0 standard, What is the make and model of your MoCA adapters?

My results from my ping to Google DNS 8.8.8.8 are below, I also ran a tracert and I am 9 hops from Google

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
© 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping 8.8.8.8

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=58
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=58
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=58
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 10ms, Average = 8ms

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

@scott2020, also try plugging in your Shoutcast Player directly to a Luma instead of the switch and see if the problem resolves. In fact, try removing the switch entirely for this test first just to cover all bases. They key is to find out where the problem lies particularly. It reminds me of tracking down a rattle on my bicycle (man, it sounded like it came from the wheel and it was actually the seat!).

Totally agree, This is the fun part of this stuff, Not. May I ask what is a Shoutcast player? When I search for it all I am coming up with is code to use on your website. Could you provide a link to the player your using? Also have you tried playing music from Shoutcast threw another device on your network just using a web browse?

Totally agree, This is the fun part of this stuff, Not. May I ask what is a Shoutcast player? When I search for it all I am coming up with is code to use on your website. Could you provide a link to the player your using? Also have you tried playing music from Shoutcast threw another device on your network just using a web browse?

I am running Puppy Linux on an older Dell PC and use a program called Music Player Daemon (mpd) to stream the Shoutcast stations.  The audio goes out the headphone jack to an amplifier for my whole-home speaker distribution.  My 181.fm shoutcast stream has been going non-stop since Sunday when I switched back to Pfsense.  This PC is hard wired.

It wasn't just Shoutcast, but it is a good example.  When I VPN to work and use VNC to get on machines remotely, the screen would freeze and disconnect.  When I would Chromecast video, it would work for awhile and disconnect every 20-40 minutes and I would have to restart.  These issues disappear with Luma out of the picture.

Anyway, I have noted a few other examples already, but my plan is to hopefully sometime this weekend re-install the Luma and test some more, and back haul over my Moca on at least 1 of them.  I forget the Moca adapter name but it is 2.0.  I wish I had a higher level contact at Luma to work with, because the first level support only tells me to power cycle, reset it, remove from the app and re-add it, and so on.  I wish there were some log files to look at to see what is going on when these real-time applications have issues.  thanks again for all of the suggestions.

I am running Puppy Linux on an older Dell PC and use a program called Music Player Daemon (mpd) to stream the Shoutcast stations. The audio goes out the headphone jack to an amplifier for my whole-home speaker distribution. My 181.fm shoutcast stream has been going non-stop since Sunday when I switched back to Pfsense. This PC is hard wired.

It wasn't just Shoutcast, but it is a good example. When I VPN to work and use VNC to get on machines remotely, the screen would freeze and disconnect. When I would Chromecast video, it would work for awhile and disconnect every 20-40 minutes and I would have to restart. These issues disappear with Luma out of the picture.

Anyway, I have noted a few other examples already, but my plan is to hopefully sometime this weekend re-install the Luma and test some more, and back haul over my Moca on at least 1 of them. I forget the Moca adapter name but it is 2.0. I wish I had a higher level contact at Luma to work with, because the first level support only tells me to power cycle, reset it, remove from the app and re-add it, and so on. I wish there were some log files to look at to see what is going on when these real-time applications have issues. thanks again for all of the suggestions.

have you asked them to look at the logs? I am sure they exist. I contacted eero with a similar request and while they did not share the log they did tell me what they saw (my ISP went offline for 4 hours).

A big issue for all these new players like Luma and eero is the out of the box experience. A typical user is not going to go to the trouble you are to figure out what isn't working. They just return the product. There was a podcaster who did this with eero.

I hope you get it figured out since I believe Luma needs to be successful to create completion and drive down costs.

Your welcome. I am trying Shoutcast 181.FM now and I will report back after testing. I also want to say I think we are dealing with diffrent problems with diffrent solutions, I believe your having trouble with outbound VPN becouse of the lack of VPN-Passthrough on Luma-

http://www.home-network-help.com/vpn-pass-through.html

https://www.think-like-a-computer.com/2014/09/28/vpn-passthrough/

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/966/~/troubleshooting-vpn-passthrough-for-home-routers

Update: I just listened to Shoutcast 181.FM for over an hour and it worked perfect. The device I used was an HP laptop on WiFi, I am connected on the 5GHz band, I have FiOs 50/50 internet.

• 2 weeks later...

A week ago I connected all of my Luma system back up, and since then it has been running perfectly.  Shoutcast and everything else has been working as expected.  I don't know why.  When I was having trouble I switched cables, rebooted the cable modem and Lumas a million different ways and times, and lots of other troubleshooting.  Anyway, all seems to be well now.  The one exception is that on my Luma #2 I have ethernet back haul through a moca adapter.  The appeal of the Luma was not having to do that, but it is giving me better performance on #2 and #3.  The #1 was always hard wired to my cable modem and network switch of course.  Anyway, just figured I would report back and thank everyone here!

Your welcome, Glad you got it sorted. As for your Luma #2 and MoCA statement, Wireless is no substitute for wired of any kind and that goes for using wireless mesh over Ethernet backhaul. Luma does not have a 3rd dedicated radio like Eero and Netgear Orbi has for the sole purpose of communication to the endpoints/nodes so you will take a big performance hit of around 30% as you have confirmed your performance is much better now after connecting the Luma to MoCA and using Ethernet backhaul.