RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First Take on Luma Experience

@scott2020

I don't own Sonos but I remember some people having trouble with it using these new bread of mesh wireless products such as Eero/Luma so I did a bit of digging for you, My hunch is the wireless channel the Sonos is using is causing a collision with Luma and that's y your seeing these problems. Luma by default and no way to change it (at this time) is using channel 6 for the 2.4GHz radio and channel 40 for the 5GHz radio, Take a look at the link below for instructions on how to check and change the channel number Sonos is using https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1230/~/how-to-change-the-wireless-channel

Your Sonos will need to be using the "BOOST Setup" in order to change the channel number in Sonos, In standard setup the wireless channel needs to be changed on the router and at this time there is no way to do that.

Update: Just looked at the difference between the BOOST Setup vs Standard Setup see link below and I would say if your Sonos is in BOOST setup now because you had week WiFi before change it to "Standard Setup" and see how it works. According to what I read about the subject Standard setup would be what you want with good WiFi around your home https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046/~/choosing-between-a-standard-and-boost-setup

I would also say after making any changes to Sonos reboot them to make sure the setting take.

Hope this info helps....

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• dz8

• cskenney

• awraynor

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personal Review: Luma 3-Pack White   Sorry, this won't be a crazy technical review. I'm a busy guy. Just wanted to provide my experience after having the Luma system for one day.   My Network  

More Updates   This product definitely looks rushed out the door. I have not had any performance or connection issues yet. Still good in that regard and speeds are fast throughout the house. BUT, af

I read your review on Amazon, You are spot on with it and you did it in a nice way. We can only hope things will get better going forward because god knows its been a rocky start. Only time will tell.

Hey itGeeks, thanks for the test. Are you running it through Sonos? I wonder if Sonos' connection to the mesh network is somehow convoluting their own mesh network efforts.

I will check the firmware of the hubs tonight.

Meanwhile, do you know how to change the address for the other room hubs? I have 3 total. The first, connect to my ONT, is .1, but the other devices are .4 and .5.  Strange, right? Also, they are connected wirelessly. I am not hard wired for ethernet backhaul.

The fact that the first Luma picked .1 and the others picked .4 and .5 is not as strange as you would think, What this is telling me is the hub Luma 1 either took the address of your older router because it was not being used anymore or simply .1 was free however there where devices on your network that where online at the time of Luma setup that where using .2 and .3 so Luma did the logical thing and select the first available IP address witch was .4 then .5. If you want the Luma's to be sequential in there IP address then simple shut everything down on your networks, Remove all the Luma's from your network threw the Luma app and run threw the setup again and that should fix the numbering for you.

If that was for me, I'm not sure which node on the wifi. My Shoutcast player is hard wired to my switch, which is hard wired to my first Luma connected to my cable modem.

You have a hard wired device that functions as a Shoutcast player that is connected to the switch connected to Luma node 1 and that Luma is also the node that is hard wired to your ISP? If that is the case the. The wireless function of the Luma system isn't being used.

Hey there. I seem to have reached a measure of success.

First, sorry for thread robbing the OP. I don't use Shoutcast and can't comment on the integrity of the internet connection and stream via Luma. I have watched some "live streaming" via Hangouts, Skype, Duo and Facetime. They have worked very well.

Second, I emailed with Sonos support yesterday. Let me mention that I'm NOT using the SonosNet (having gotten rid of my bridge) and instead using my own wifi to connect all of the Sonos play units. Okay, back to Sonos support; they wrote the following:

"I do apologize that your Sonos system has been giving you issues. I can ensure you that you're not the only one. We are working on a fix right now. I do know we have a work around to get them 100% functional. Create a User Profile named Sonos and assign them to that Profile. If that does not immediately resolve your issue, have the Sonos forget your Luma network and then relearn it."

So, I created a user profile and assigned the Sonos Play unit to it. Then I streamed music from Pandora/Google Music. Alas, no joy. However, then I tried the second part of their recommendation. I removed the Sonos Play from my Luma network (this entails unplugging power to the Sonos Play, plugging a network cable into it connected to any Luma hub) and began streaming the music from it to ensure ethernet connection. Afterwards, I went into the Sonos App, clicked Advanced and then selected connect to Wifi network (once again). I picked the SSID for my Luma network, it went about configuring some stuff and then told me that I could remove the ethernet cable. I did so, unplugged the power to the Sonos and moved it back to its original location. Since then, it has been streaming beautifully! No issues whatsoever. So, I'm going to consider that issue resolved if it continues to stream well this evening.

Last, the neat freak in me will attempt to remove and reconnect the Luma hubs to see if I can get them in numerically sequential order. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for everyone's assistance!

@scott2020

I don't own Sonos but I remember some people having trouble with it using these new bread of mesh wireless products such as Eero/Luma so I did a bit of digging for you, My hunch is the wireless channel the Sonos is using is causing a collision with Luma and that's y your seeing these problems. Luma by default and no way to change it (at this time) is using channel 6 for the 2.4GHz radio and channel 40 for the 5GHz radio, Take a look at the link below for instructions on how to check and change the channel number Sonos is using https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1230/~/how-to-change-the-wireless-channel

Your Sonos will need to be using the "BOOST Setup" in order to change the channel number in Sonos, In standard setup the wireless channel needs to be changed on the router and at this time there is no way to do that.

Update: Just looked at the difference between the BOOST Setup vs Standard Setup see link below and I would say if your Sonos is in BOOST setup now because you had week WiFi before change it to "Standard Setup" and see how it works. According to what I read about the subject Standard setup would be what you want with good WiFi around your home https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046/~/choosing-between-a-standard-and-boost-setup

I would also say after making any changes to Sonos reboot them to make sure the setting take.

Hope this info helps....

You have a hard wired device that functions as a Shoutcast player that is connected to the switch connected to Luma node 1 and that Luma is also the node that is hard wired to your ISP? If that is the case the. The wireless function of the Luma system isn't being used.

@cskenney,

Yes that is correct.  That is why it is frustrating because everything works fine without the Luma.  I have had a Shoutcast stream going for 2 days now.

@itGeeks,

Thanks for the information, but I'm not the person with the Sonos.  It does sound like the Sonos issue is getting resolved so that's good news.  I was hoping someone else had similar issues to me however!

Maybe this weekend I will give the Luma another shot.  My family is getting a little tired of me playing with it so it may take a bit.

@scott202,

Some annoying troubleshooting.

1. Have you tried disconnecting your switch from the main Luma hub (which is connected to your cable modem)? Did you Shoutcast player function properly?

2. Have you tried disabling IGMP snooping again? Did that resolve the problem with Shoutcast? To my understanding, it's really necessary unless you're watching the same feed on multiple devices at the same time.

3. Could you try disabling UPnP?

4. Is it a particular device that is having trouble with Shoutcast feeds or all devices? If it's just your Shoutcast Player, you could try doing what Sonos recommended for me. Create a user profile called "Shoutcast", assign your Shoutcast device (you may have to identify the MAC address) to it. See if the issue is resolved. If not, then remove your Shoutcast Player from the network, power it off, power it back on, reconnect it to the network.

@nycebo,

That's some great trouble shooting tips, I personally avoid using UPnP like the plague because its a big security risk and I don't want device deciding what ports I needed open. I also have some question below but first I am happy to report I tried out Shoutcast in a web-browser on Windows 10 using Chrome and played two channels for half hour each without a single problem, The first thing I played was under country a station called '1.fm - Absolute Country Hits Radio' it was a  .MP3 128 Bitrate then I played

'1.fm - Classic Rock Replay Radio' this was AAC 64 Bitrate for 30 minutes without any problem. My testing of Shoutcast was done on a wireless HP Laptop and my internet is FiOs fiber 50/50

1.Hew is your ISP and what speed both down/up do you get?

2. What is the make and model of the ISP modem/router?

3. Please run speedtest.net in a web browser from a computer connected with Ethernet if you can otherwise wireless will have to do and post the speeds and ping time results. I will have other things for you to do after you post back.

schoondoggy

Hey there. I seem to have reached a measure of success.

First, sorry for thread robbing the OP. I don't use Shoutcast and can't comment on the integrity of the internet connection and stream via Luma. I have watched some "live streaming" via Hangouts, Skype, Duo and Facetime. They have worked very well.

Second, I emailed with Sonos support yesterday. Let me mention that I'm NOT using the SonosNet (having gotten rid of my bridge) and instead using my own wifi to connect all of the Sonos play units. Okay, back to Sonos support; they wrote the following:

"I do apologize that your Sonos system has been giving you issues. I can ensure you that you're not the only one. We are working on a fix right now. I do know we have a work around to get them 100% functional. Create a User Profile named Sonos and assign them to that Profile. If that does not immediately resolve your issue, have the Sonos forget your Luma network and then relearn it."

So, I created a user profile and assigned the Sonos Play unit to it. Then I streamed music from Pandora/Google Music. Alas, no joy. However, then I tried the second part of their recommendation. I removed the Sonos Play from my Luma network (this entails unplugging power to the Sonos Play, plugging a network cable into it connected to any Luma hub) and began streaming the music from it to ensure ethernet connection. Afterwards, I went into the Sonos App, clicked Advanced and then selected connect to Wifi network (once again). I picked the SSID for my Luma network, it went about configuring some stuff and then told me that I could remove the ethernet cable. I did so, unplugged the power to the Sonos and moved it back to its original location. Since then, it has been streaming beautifully! No issues whatsoever. So, I'm going to consider that issue resolved if it continues to stream well this evening.

Last, the neat freak in me will attempt to remove and reconnect the Luma hubs to see if I can get them in numerically sequential order. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for everyone's assistance!

Glad you got it sorted out. I have changed my home network and WiFi often and it has never effected my Sonos system. I think that may have something to do with the Sonos Bridge. I started with Sonos back when it required the Bridge. Although for many setups it is not required to have a Sonos device hardwired, in some cases it is:

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/what-are-differences-between-bridge-boost-units-to-add-2nd-speaker-one-needed-to-connect-the-2-speaker-stereo-6486411

If in the future you need to have a Sonos device hardwired, you can find Bridges on Craigslist for $20.

@nycebo,

That's some great trouble shooting tips, I personally avoid using UPnP like the plague because its a big security risk and I don't want device deciding what ports I needed open. I also have some question below but first I am happy to report I tried out Shoutcast in a web-browser on Windows 10 using Chrome and played two channels for half hour each without a single problem, The first thing I played was under country a station called '1.fm - Absolute Country Hits Radio' it was a  .MP3 128 Bitrate then I played

'1.fm - Classic Rock Replay Radio' this was AAC 64 Bitrate for 30 minutes without any problem. My testing of Shoutcast was done on a wireless HP Laptop and my internet is FiOs fiber 50/50

1.Hew is your ISP and what speed both down/up do you get?

2. What is the make and model of the ISP modem/router?

3. Please run speedtest.net in a web browser from a computer connected with Ethernet if you can otherwise wireless will have to do and post the speeds and ping time results. I will have other things for you to do after you post back.

I have tried both with uPNP on and off, and IGMP snooping on and off, and one on and the other off, etc.  I restarted all of the Luma after making those changes.  Sometimes it works for awhile after rebooting everything.  This shoutcast pc playing the stream is hard wired to the switch, so it is just dealing with the first Luma as the gateway.  I have Charter 60/4 service.  My ping and speeds are good.  Like I said, replacing my Luma gateway with my PFsense firewall, everything works great.  Shoutcast was just 1 example, but my VPN VOIP phone disconnects, my audio stream to Weather underground cuts out, etc.  It all clears up without the Luma.

I appreciate the help and I'll keep trying.  I have been in IT for 20 years (I know everyone says that) and worked mostly in datacenter servers and networking, so this stuff isn't foreign to me.  I'm hoping at some point someone will say there is a new firmware and I'll give it another shot.

I have tried both with uPNP on and off, and IGMP snooping on and off, and one on and the other off, etc.  I restarted all of the Luma after making those changes.  Sometimes it works for awhile after rebooting everything.  This shoutcast pc playing the stream is hard wired to the switch, so it is just dealing with the first Luma as the gateway.  I have Charter 60/4 service.  My ping and speeds are good.  Like I said, replacing my Luma gateway with my PFsense firewall, everything works great.  Shoutcast was just 1 example, but my VPN VOIP phone disconnects, my audio stream to Weather underground cuts out, etc.  It all clears up without the Luma.

I appreciate the help and I'll keep trying.  I have been in IT for 20 years (I know everyone says that) and worked mostly in datacenter servers and networking, so this stuff isn't foreign to me.  I'm hoping at some point someone will say there is a new firmware and I'll give it another shot.

Thanks for the update and though you answered some of my questions well you did not provide everything I asked for. I now have two concerns from your response, 1st is you have cable and 2nd is it's Charter. I don't mean to sound like I am coming off Rude and I am only trying to help you but I asked you for numbers from your speed test not the speed test and pings are good, Please provide the number results from the speedtest.net both the speed and ping times. 2nd I asked for the make and model of your modem and now I would like to know how old it is? These new bread of products seem to be sensitive to older cable modems so a newer DOCSIS 3.0 modem maybe in order such as this one https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6190-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B016PE1X5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473805086&sr=8-1&keywords=ARRIS+SURFboard+SB6190 There is another forum member that was having trouble with Eero and was using Charter and a new modem the one I listed above fixed some of his problems. A little insight to these cable componies is they make changes and don't tell anyone and in some cases no one complains so they just wait for the customer to call in to tell you O yes we made a change and your modem needs upgrading, If your renting the modem (big mistake) then ask them to upgrade it FREE of charge or save the rental fees and purchase a new modem on your own, There not expensive.

To sum it up I am not having the problems you are having as I have tested the services you complaining about so there is two things left, Your ISP and or your modem and or bad wiring/equipment from Charter. I am willing to bet that Charter made changes and you have an older modem that needs upgrading even though pfSence has worked fine because its not as sensitive to it as Luma/Eero. I would also contact the ISP Charter and ask them to come out and test the signal coming into your house and explain you cant stream music without problems, There maybe other problems in the neighborhood with there equipment such as the head-end and if that's the case it will make the whole neighborhood better.