RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First Take on Luma Experience

Would you mind providing the links to the Linux ISO's you where trying to download and I will test for you?

Also if you would provide the link to the online video I will test that also. How many Luma's do you have and if more then one how are they connected?

I tried downloading Ubuntu from their main site downloads, FTP and HTTP, as well as Xbuntu.

http://mirror.us.leaseweb.net/ubuntu-cdimage/xubuntu/releases/16.04/release/xubuntu-16.04-desktop-i386.iso

I also downloaded via FTP using FileZilla, and it would crank along nicely for a minute or two and disconnect.  FileZilla would reconnect and resume, and it did this several times.

I also listen to some Shoutcast 128k streams, and with the Luma they would play for 3-5 minutes at best.  After I switched back to my old system, I have had a stream going now for 14 straight hours.

Downloads from the same sites also take 2-3 minutes on my 60 meg connection after changing back.

It seems like services such as Netflix, Slacker Radio, etc, that stream a chunk into a buffer and then go grab more as needed play fine.  More real time downloads like Shoutcast, TuneIn radio, some streaming video, and latency-sensitive things like VNC or TeamViewer choke big time.

Going back to my old setup everything works great.  I'm bummed.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• dz8

• cskenney

• awraynor

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personal Review: Luma 3-Pack White   Sorry, this won't be a crazy technical review. I'm a busy guy. Just wanted to provide my experience after having the Luma system for one day.   My Network  

More Updates   This product definitely looks rushed out the door. I have not had any performance or connection issues yet. Still good in that regard and speeds are fast throughout the house. BUT, af

I read your review on Amazon, You are spot on with it and you did it in a nice way. We can only hope things will get better going forward because god knows its been a rocky start. Only time will tell.

I just sent an email to Luma pondering the exact same thing. Power buffer apps (Netflix, Amazon Video, etc) seem to work fine for me as well. However, when I try to listen to music over Sonos (hosting TuneIn Radio, Pandora or Google Music), I get pauses in playback quite often. I am hoping that it's a firmware/software issue that can be readily resolved.

On an aside, my experience with Luma has been good. High throughput around the house and easy to set up. Eero, on the other hand, I tested over the weekend and am returning today. I just couldn't get it to keep strong throughput around my apartment. Made me crazy because I wanted to like it owing to comments in these forums AND its lay-flat design. Anyway, after removing Eero and connecting Luma, throughput is back to being solid. I wonder if the Eero radios are SO GOOD that they aren't letting go of my device when I get farther away from them and I'm suffering as a result reduced speeds.

I also listen to some Shoutcast 128k streams, and with the Luma they would play for 3-5 minutes at best.  After I switched back to my old system, I have had a stream going now for 14 straight hours.

[sNIP]

It seems like services such as Netflix, Slacker Radio, etc, that stream a chunk into a buffer and then go grab more as needed play fine.  More real time downloads like Shoutcast, TuneIn radio, some streaming video, and latency-sensitive things like VNC or TeamViewer choke big time.

I tried downloading Ubuntu from their main site downloads, FTP and HTTP, as well as Xbuntu.

http://mirror.us.leaseweb.net/ubuntu-cdimage/xubuntu/releases/16.04/release/xubuntu-16.04-desktop-i386.iso

I also downloaded via FTP using FileZilla, and it would crank along nicely for a minute or two and disconnect.  FileZilla would reconnect and resume, and it did this several times.

Downloads from the same sites also take 2-3 minutes on my 60 meg connection after changing back.

Going back to my old setup everything works great.  I'm bummed.

Downloading the file from the link you posted worked fine for me over WiFi, I have a 50M FiOs connection and it took 2.5 minutes by stopwatch. Could you post a link to a video your having trouble with?

I just sent an email to Luma pondering the exact same thing. Power buffer apps (Netflix, Amazon Video, etc) seem to work fine for me as well. However, when I try to listen to music over Sonos (hosting TuneIn Radio, Pandora or Google Music), I get pauses in playback quite often. I am hoping that it's a firmware/software issue that can be readily resolved.

On an aside, my experience with Luma has been good. High throughput around the house and easy to set up. Eero, on the other hand, I tested over the weekend and am returning today. I just couldn't get it to keep strong throughput around my apartment. Made me crazy because I wanted to like it owing to comments in these forums AND its lay-flat design. Anyway, after removing Eero and connecting Luma, throughput is back to being solid. I wonder if the Eero radios are SO GOOD that they aren't letting go of my device when I get farther away from them and I'm suffering as a result reduced speeds.

I just created a free Pandora account and created some 80's play list, Been streaming fine for the last 20 minutes and still stream as I am typing this. I have a 50M FiOs connection.

1. Do you have the latest firmware? Use this link to check it http://192.168.55.1/version If you have more then one Luma change the .1 to .2 and .3 for each Luma you have to check the firmware, Below is the latest firmware

"firmware_version":"1.1-11","eos_version":"2016.08.29-0","build_version":"jenkins-luma-firmware-dev-CS-office-build-server-284"

2. How many Luma's do you have? If more then one how are they connected?

Update: about 35 minutes now playing music from Pandora without a skip. Something is going on on your end.

I wonder how that effects the ping test in a mesh system?

In wireless mesh the further you are from the hub the more latency your going to have, That's y using Ethernet backhaul is prefer over wireless mesh.

Hey itGeeks, thanks for the test. Are you running it through Sonos? I wonder if Sonos' connection to the mesh network is somehow convoluting their own mesh network efforts.

I will check the firmware of the hubs tonight.

Meanwhile, do you know how to change the address for the other room hubs? I have 3 total. The first, connect to my ONT, is .1, but the other devices are .4 and .5.  Strange, right? Also, they are connected wirelessly. I am not hard wired for ethernet backhaul.

I just created a free Pandora account and created some 80's play list, Been streaming fine for the last 20 minutes and still stream as I am typing this. I have a 50M FiOs connection.

1. Do you have the latest firmware? Use this link to check it http://192.168.55.1/version If you have more then one Luma change the .1 to .2 and .3 for each Luma you have to check the firmware, Below is the latest firmware

"firmware_version":"1.1-11","eos_version":"2016.08.29-0","build_version":"jenkins-luma-firmware-dev-CS-office-build-server-284"

Update: about 35 minutes now playing music from Pandora without a skip. Something is going on on your end.

Edited by nycebo

I have that same Luma software version.  Pandora isn't really real-time from what I understand.  It is like Netflix where it will suck down a big amount of data and play it, and suck down more as needed into a buffer.  Pandora, Netflix, Amazon Video all work OK for me.

Take a look at something like Shoutcast, which is playing a real time stream.  That is where I notice it the most.  Also, my Tivo streaming only worked for a few minutes, even inside my wifi network.  It would start off fine but eventually stall and not be able to connect back to the Tivo until I restarted the app.  I did this from my Android phone and my iPad from inside.  My Tivo Stream box is plugged directly into my network switch.  Shoutcast/Icecast runs 128kbps so we aren't talking a large amount of bandwidth.  

I have 3 Lumas.  #1 is connected to my cable modem and to my network switch.  The other two Lumas are stand alone using wifi mesh.  I haven't tried ethernet back haul.

Do you know which Luma node your devices are connected to? I am just wondering if they are connected to nose 1 if you have the issues. Or, is it only if you are using the meshed nodes?

schoondoggy

Hey itGeeks, thanks for the test. Are you running it through Sonos? I wonder if Sonos' connection to the mesh network is somehow convoluting their own mesh network efforts.

I will check the firmware of the hubs tonight.

Meanwhile, do you know how to change the address for the other room hubs? I have 3 total. The first, connect to my ONT, is .1, but the other devices are .4 and .5. Strange, right? Also, they are connected wirelessly. I am not hard wired for ethernet backhaul.

How is your Sonos connected to your network?

Do you know which Luma node your devices are connected to? I am just wondering if they are connected to nose 1 if you have the issues. Or, is it only if you are using the meshed nodes?

If that was for me, I'm not sure which node on the wifi.  My Shoutcast player is hard wired to my switch, which is hard wired to my first Luma connected to my cable modem.

• Like 1