RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First Take on Luma Experience

Hi.  I'm glad I found this forum!  It has been a big help.  Two of my three Luma's have been flawless.  The third one has been a big pain to get set up.  It took me at least 10 tries to activate it out of the box, and then it would go haywire after a day or two.  The RF signal was there but it would not hand out IP addresses, so anything connected to it had no network access.  I spent an hour on the phone resetting it, paper clip push button, etc, and another 20 tries getting it activated.  It ended up activating again, but still goes offline.  I am begging them to send me a new one because I think this one is defective, and they keep telling me to wait for an update.  I'm within my 30 days but not for much longer and I would hate to return the whole setup, because it works well when all three are functioning.  Hopefully I'll get this update soon.  However, using the method mentioned previously here, I see the same firmware version on all 3.  Oh well!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• dz8

• cskenney

• awraynor

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personal Review: Luma 3-Pack White   Sorry, this won't be a crazy technical review. I'm a busy guy. Just wanted to provide my experience after having the Luma system for one day.   My Network  

More Updates   This product definitely looks rushed out the door. I have not had any performance or connection issues yet. Still good in that regard and speeds are fast throughout the house. BUT, af

I read your review on Amazon, You are spot on with it and you did it in a nice way. We can only hope things will get better going forward because god knows its been a rocky start. Only time will tell.

Hi.  I'm glad I found this forum!  It has been a big help.  Two of my three Luma's have been flawless.  The third one has been a big pain to get set up.  It took me at least 10 tries to activate it out of the box, and then it would go haywire after a day or two.  The RF signal was there but it would not hand out IP addresses, so anything connected to it had no network access.  I spent an hour on the phone resetting it, paper clip push button, etc, and another 20 tries getting it activated.  It ended up activating again, but still goes offline.  I am begging them to send me a new one because I think this one is defective, and they keep telling me to wait for an update.  I'm within my 30 days but not for much longer and I would hate to return the whole setup, because it works well when all three are functioning.  Hopefully I'll get this update soon.  However, using the method mentioned previously here, I see the same firmware version on all 3.  Oh well!

Are you using Ethernet backhaul or wireless mesh?

Are you using Ethernet backhaul or wireless mesh?

Wireless mesh.  Their support is supposed to be pushing me the update now.  We'll see.

alan617@gmail.com

found another "bug" maybe with luma.  it looks like airprint does not work for ios devices, it simply shows up as no airprint printers found.  but interestingly enough it does work via my mac running osx el capitan.  will try to contact luma support when i have some time on my hands and let this group know what i find out.

Edited by alan617@gmail.com

Downloaded the new app that is supposed to add Static DHCP, port forwarding, and other stuff.  Hope it works!

The update they applied to my 3rd Luma that was acting up seems to have fixed it.  It has been solid for about 5 days now.

Downloaded the new app that is supposed to add Static DHCP, port forwarding, and other stuff.  Hope it works!

The update they applied to my 3rd Luma that was acting up seems to have fixed it.  It has been solid for about 5 days now.

Thanks for the update, Please let us know how the advanced features workout. I am personally not testing the advanced features because I have Luma behind another firewall that I believe is more secure then the Luma firewall.

Edited by itGeeks
alan617@gmail.com

found another "bug" maybe with luma.  it looks like airprint does not work for ios devices, it simply shows up as no airprint printers found.  but interestingly enough it does work via my mac running osx el capitan.  will try to contact luma support when i have some time on my hands and let this group know what i find out.

okay, so mine was updated recently as well (both the app and lumas). and once i turned off igmp snooping airprint seems to work fine now.

the long version:  i contacted support but all they gave me was a huge list of turn this device off and turn that device on, make sure i'm on airplane mode, etc. etc. basic steps.  anyway after about 6 email exchanges they are telling me to statically assign an ip to the printer which i've already done the dhcp reservation for so i didn't even bother statically assigning it.  they really were no help at all.  anyway hope this helps someone out there, i know my family wasn't too happy that airprint stopped working.

I've been testing the system over the past few weeks, and reporting bugs that have been knocked off one by one by Luma's dev team.

Per my last post, ethernet backhaul is working properly. This was with the software update on 8/4. Shortly after that update however, I experienced DHCP issues where randomly, some of my devices stopped being assigned an IP address and lost connectivity. Luma's dev team jumped on that and released a software update on 8/12 that addressed that issue. This version of the software also came with the port forwarding feature (as well as others). In the past few days, I've experienced a new issue where after a few days, my Luma network has latency problems (~100-900ms ping times) and dropped packets. Rebooting fixes the issue. Luma is working on this (and other bugs) and expects another update within the next few weeks. Aside from that, everything is working smoothly.

RE: the version

Luma support told me how to get and interpret the version on the Luma nodes last week. Looks like some of you have figured it out on your own already. But essentially you open a browser to the IP of each Luma and add 'version' at the end. So just as it's been reported, the three URLs are:

http://192.168.55.1/version

http://192.168.55.2/version

http://192.168.55.3/version

The resulting output is in JSON format and essentially contains:

firmware_version: This is hardware firmware and I assume is for the qualcomm chipset. It's apparently updated at the factory and Luma has not updated it yet. Early customers like me have a 1.1-10 version. I believe folks that received their units later have a 1.1-11 version. But this has nothing to do with the software updates Luma has been pushing out.

eos_version: This is the software version for Luma's software running on the nodes. This is what Luma has been updating. I'm not sure what the format of the version string is just yet but it looks like recently they have changed it to be the date the version was released. Mine has "2016.08.12-2" which support tells me is the latest software version that was pushed out on or around 8/12. I am not sure why some of you have the "0.9.16-1". Not sure what to make of that. But some of us might have different numbers here if we were pushed test software updates to see if it addresses a particular bug that we've been working with support on. So I wouldn't think much of it.

build_version: Internal string. Build number of the software (ie. multiple candidates for the final eos version xxxxxx -- helps to identify which build candidate it was). Not very useful for us.

Anyhow, looks like another update will be pushed in a couple weeks with some bug fixes. Slowly getting more and more stable. Now I'm just waiting for the visibility features. I hope it's released soon.

FYI, my Lumas got updated with new software last night. Eos version is 2016.08.30 or 2016.08.31 (can't remember - typing this from memory). Bug fixes only.

I am on "firmware_version":"1.1-11","eos_version":"2016.08.29-0","build_version":"jenkins-luma-firmware-dev-CS-office-build-server-284"

As for your "latency problems (~100-900ms ping times) and dropped packets" I have not seen that, My has been a steady 2-4ms with a link speed of 433 Mbps on the 5 GHz band How are you testing this?