RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First Take on Luma Experience

awraynor

This is a great thread.  Thank you dz8.  I hope that Luma can get there with their software.  What was promised is the differentiator that pushed a lot of folks to WAIT for this product vs. getting the eero. That is a great injustice to the people that paid good money up front.  Yet, that is another thread.  I just wanted to thank you for your posts and tests.

FYI I have a single Luma sitting beside me and will speed test it against the eero. I'm going to try to get some video done today but already have a full schedule.

Yes. Very interested in performance differences between the two products. 

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• dz8

• cskenney

• awraynor

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personal Review: Luma 3-Pack White   Sorry, this won't be a crazy technical review. I'm a busy guy. Just wanted to provide my experience after having the Luma system for one day.   My Network  

More Updates   This product definitely looks rushed out the door. I have not had any performance or connection issues yet. Still good in that regard and speeds are fast throughout the house. BUT, af

I read your review on Amazon, You are spot on with it and you did it in a nice way. We can only hope things will get better going forward because god knows its been a rocky start. Only time will tell.

Rerun setup on that device?

No, I did not. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to rerun outside of removing all units from my account and factory resetting them, and I don't want to do that right now. Plus no confidence that it will change things especially given what I was told recently from their support team, as well as their official response to Ethernet backhaul on amazons listing, etc (i.e. That it's not supported but will be in the coming months).

FWIW, I am not too concerned on backhaul support. The device has two Ethernet ports and it's not a hardware deficiency. It's easy to code. So it will eventually be in the software. Just need patience.

I just pointed it out as i would have thought it's a necessary day one feature along with port forwarding. Just shocked it wasn't in there.

• Like 1

Update after Day 3

First two days were great. Now we're on day 3. One of my Lumas began conking out today. I noticed a hiccup while surfing and decided to check the health of the system on the app. All green. But there's something wrong. So I checked my DMZ for Internet connectivity and it's all good. Just the wireless network is experiencing some hiccups. But Luma App says it's all good. Hmm.

Began pinging each Luma. #1 good, #2 good. #3 no response. Hmm, not good. Waited about 60 seconds and it started responding to pings. Did it reboot? No idea. But connectivity is all good again.

One hour later. More hiccups. Ping that #3 Luma again. No response. Argh. Waited about 60 seconds and it started responding again. Grr. But that lasts one minute and it's gone again. WTF? So I pull out the power, wait 5 seconds, plug it back in. While that one is coming up, my Internet is fast again with the other two nodes. Wait, no. Hiccup. Ping #1, good. Ping #2, no response. WTF? That's two nodes now in some type of reboot cycle.

So I hard power cycle that one too. Now it's been good for about an hour and no issues.

Sad part is there's no visibility into what might be happening. No logs. Nothing. I can't even tell what version firmware is on these Lumas. That's serious lack of visibility. Maybe they are trying to market to my grandma?

It's going to be a long next six months while they work out the bugs and put in all the missing features.

Edited by dz8

Update after Day 3

First two days were great. Now we're on day 3. One of my Lumas began conking out today. I noticed a hiccup while surfing and decided to check the health of the system on the app. All green. But there's something wrong. So I checked my DMZ for Internet connectivity and it's all good. Just the wireless network is experiencing some hiccups. But Luma App says it's all good. Hmm.

Began pinging each Luma. #1 good, #2 good. #3 no response. Hmm, not good. Waited about 60 seconds and it started responding to pings. Did it reboot? No idea. But connectivity is all good again.

One hour later. More hiccups. Ping that #3 Luma again. No response. Argh. Waited about 60 seconds and it started responding again. Grr. But that lasts one minute and it's gone again. WTF? So I pull out the power, wait 5 seconds, plug it back in. While that one is coming up, my Internet is fast again with the other two nodes. Wait, no. Hiccup. Ping #1, good. Ping #2, no response. WTF? That's two nodes now in some type of reboot cycle.

So I hard power cycle that one too. Now it's been good for about an hour and no issues.

Sad part is there's no visibility into what might be happening. No logs. Nothing. I can't even tell what version firmware is on these Lumas. That's serious lack of visibility. Maybe they are trying to market to my grandma?

It's going to be a long next six months while they work out the bugs and put in all the missing features.

Please sir....step away from the Lumas. ;) 

Said in good humor. You need a break!

• Like 1

Kind of making me happy I cancelled my luma order. I wonder if you have a defective unit?

Well I think it's definitely too early to judge. Like I mentioned earlier, everything could change once they roll out the glaring feature holes in the software. These are the usual early adopter issues. The problem I experienced could be anything. But my gut says it's not hardware. I'm guessing it's a software crash. The Lumas may be seeing traffic that's hitting a corner case in the software or they could have a memory leak or any number of issues. But again my gut says software bug over a hardware one.

Please sir....step away from the Lumas. ;)

Said in good humor. You need a break!

I can't! I feel like a sysadmin (which I am not). :) My kids are screaming about each and every outage since it's summer! At least it's been quiet since last night.

itGeeks

****WARNING*****

Don't rely on any gateway protection from Luma at this point in time, After two days of testing there does not seem to be any network protection of any kind. Luma claim enterprise protection but in my testing its not even Micky mouse protection. My full review will come shortly, Stay tuned.

Update: Luma has not done the right thing lately but they need to start. They need to make a document front and center on there web site that describes what Luma offers at this point in time, Not give us false sense of what it offers or planes to offer in the months to come. We need to know what Luma offers now so we don't have a false sense of security and features. Luma please do the right thing going forward and explain front and center to customers what this first release of Luma has enabled and or disabled and what is to come. I am finding out the hard way and all the short falls of Luma at this point in development is not something we all want to find out only by testing the crap out of it by using tools that the average home user knows nothing about. Make this info easy to find or you will be giving the poor none tech person a false sense of security not to mention all the other things that I found that are not working right now. After my two days of testing there are many disappointments that I will post about soon, I can and will deal with this as an early adopter as I still feel Luma is going in the right direction but not letting us know up front in a read me first type document or on there FAQ's or someplace on there website of what Luma is now wins no awards with me. Bottom line is nothing Lima has pimped at CES or online other then surround WiFi is working or supported at this time according to my testing. That is an awful lot of stuff not working or supported including band-steering is not working so all of  my Android mobile devices are getting really bad internet speeds. 

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 1
itGeeks

I just want to add to my post above, I am personally very disappointed with Luma at this point in time, It does not have anything enabled that would separate it from Eero at this point in time and what more disturbing is there is nothing on Luma website that we can find easy that indicates what they could not get done in this first release. Very sad to say the least. God please the average home user that purchases Luma thinking they are getting enterprise gateway protection to protect there network only to find out there not getting any antivirus/malware protection at all at least from what I can tell with my testing. I could go on and on but I will save that for my review. Luma we need a road map posted on your website thats easy to find before a customer purchases Luma ASAP. Did Luma rush this out the door? I am beginning to think so. Reasons for y I think so are below-

No gateway protection of any kind from what I can tell.

Band steering is not working so all my Android devices seem to connecting to the 2.4 GHz band that seems to be only 20 MHz wide with no way to change it so devices are running at half speed.

Luma creates a network on 192.168.55.X with no way to change it.

The Luma application runs on Samsung Note 4 and gives you the indication your network is setup but its not.

No port forwarding.

No UPnP for gaming consoles, I understand UPnP is a security risk and I disable this 1st thing on any router that has it enabled but its needed in homes with gaming consoles for ease of use

No static DHCP options.

No web configuration like they said was possible at launch.

Don't know y they designed a device that does not have 360 degree WiFi in favor of directional with the front of Luma being the strongest, This makes it very hard to place Luma in the center of your apartment and have great coverage all around.

There is good news though, I was able to stream 4 Netflix movies at the same time with no stuttering or buffering to my mobile devices.

there are other complaints but I can't think right now.

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 1

I just want to add to my post above, I am personally very disappointed with Luma at this point in time, It does not have anything enabled that would separate it from Eero at this point in time and what more disturbing is there is nothing on Luma website that we can find easy that indicates what they could not get done in this first release. Very sad to say the least. God please the average home user that purchases Luma thinking they are getting enterprise gateway protection to protect there network only to find out there not getting any antivirus/malware protection at all at least from what I can tell with my testing. I could go on and on but I will save that for my review. Luma we need a road map posted on your website thats easy to find before a customer purchases Luma ASAP. Did Luma rush this out the door? I am beginning to think so. Reasons for y I think so are below-

No gateway protection of any kind from what I can tell.

Band steering is not working so all my Android devices seem to connecting to the 2.4 GHz band that seems to be only 20 MHz wide with no way to change it so devices are running at half speed.

Luma creates a network on 192.168.55.X with no way to change it.

The Luma application runs on Samsung Note 4 and gives you the indication your network is setup but its not.

No port forwarding.

No UPnP for gaming consoles, I understand UPnP is a security risk and I disable this 1st thing on any router that has it enabled but its needed in homes with gaming consoles for ease of use

No static DHCP options.

No web configuration like they said was possible at launch.

Don't know y they designed a device that does not have 360 degree WiFi in favor of directional with the front of Luma being the strongest, This makes it very hard to place Luma in the center of your apartment and have great coverage all around.

There is good news though, I was able to stream 4 Netflix movies at the same time with no stuttering or buffering to my mobile devices.

there are other complaints but I can't think right now.

Thanks! FWIW, my Macs seem to do the right thing with the Lumas. With high signal strength or direct line of sight, they use the 5GHz band from the Lumas. Behind a few walls and further away, they seem to run on 2.4GHz.

Update After Day 5

No more hiccups / power cycles since Day 3. It took 48 hours the first time however so let's see what happens tonight/tomorrow. But system is humming along right now.

Hopefully Luma releases updated firmware and an updated app that adds the various missing vaporware features soon. The ones I'd really like in order:

1.) [MISSING MARKETED FEATURE] Ethernet backhaul

2.) [MISSING MARKETED FEATURE] Audit/logging/reporting/visibility into traffic (netstat-like connection list as well)

3.) [MISSING MARKETED FEATURE] Per-user time limits on Internet use

4.) [ENHANCEMENT] IP+MAC ADDRESS provided for devices in the device list (hard to tell what everything is just by device name - especially IoT devices)

5.) [ENHANCEMENT] Ability to see which Luma node each device is currently connected to

6.) [ENHANCEMENT] User configurable network/mask for the Lumas

7.) [ENHANCEMENT] User configurable DHCP range

8.) [ENHANCEMENT] User configurable guest network name

9.) [ENHANCEMENT] Outbound firewall rules support (layer 7 would be nice)

10.) [MISSING NO-BRAINER FEATURE] Port Forwarding