RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First Take on Luma Experience

Yup, Politicians at there best. Say a whole lot of nothing. O ya regarding the NDA, There is none. I am also in the beta group as of last week and NDA never came up, y? Because we are only going to be helping them flush out bugs (maybe) and we won't have access to privileged information as anything we are testing has already been publicly announced. Bottom line its bla bla bla, bla bla bla..... Checks in the mail but no ETA. Same song different day. I agree with you, The enemy are catching up quick and before you know it there will be a half a dozen choices to choose from, I really wish AmpliFi had parental controls & gateway security built-in because if it did I would be testing that product right now. I am really trying to rethink what I am doing and the problems I am trying to solve, The only thing making me stick around with Luma is there so called 'cyber security' though it's unclear if its even working.

Untangle for my gateway solution is looking more and more like it's the best way to go then build out from there, The management wont be grandma friendly but it would give me and my family/friends the most secure and best performing solution I feel. Maybe in a couple of years from now Eero/Luma and others will be more baked and have better security built-in all managed with a easy to use app that grandma/grandpa can manage.

This is all getting very old quick....

Weird, I explicitly signed an NDA via docusign.

Edited by Jericho
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• dz8

• cskenney

• awraynor

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personal Review: Luma 3-Pack White   Sorry, this won't be a crazy technical review. I'm a busy guy. Just wanted to provide my experience after having the Luma system for one day.   My Network  

More Updates   This product definitely looks rushed out the door. I have not had any performance or connection issues yet. Still good in that regard and speeds are fast throughout the house. BUT, af

I read your review on Amazon, You are spot on with it and you did it in a nice way. We can only hope things will get better going forward because god knows its been a rocky start. Only time will tell.

itGeeks

Don't know what that was about unless your on some other beta team then I? I guess time will tell if you get something to test and I don't and that is of course IF I still have Luma when the beta comes out. I am this close to just returning it and moving on, I can't take the standard answers of should be sometime this week or beginning of next. They have missed every single date for many weeks now with the same answer. Its a joke at this point, Good luck...

Edited by itGeeks
awraynor

Received my Luma 3 pack yesterday. Kinda don't want to even bother setting them up. If I find some time I might test the speed/mesh just to have a full set of numbers to compare to eero and OM.

Would be interesting for your take given you have all 3 products. 

cskenney

They may push unreleased software to you and don't want it discussed. Not all Betas are the same...

Been busy again.

So good news, great news, and bad news. I'll give it to you in that order.

Good news... the update DID go out on the 4th. They just experienced a glitch where some nodes out in the wild didn't take the firmware update. One of my units took it (the primary), but the two secondaries did not. Not sure how their firmware update process works but the units tried again the following day and updated. They have some kinks to work out there but none of my units bricked so I guess that's good.

Great news... ethernet backhaul fully works for me now. The traffic is getting routed over my ethernet network and interface counters on my router and my switch are showing correct values. And my various network blips seem to have gone away for now. So looks like some bugs have been resolved, at least for me.

Bad news... the update that went out did not include any new features. Port forwarding is still not there, along with the rest of the new features I was told by support via email. Looks like they held it back, most likely found some bugs at the last minute. Support tells me it will be available soon but it's not ready yet. I'm glad they withheld as I wouldn't want to deal with new issues. But unfortunately, sucks that those new features aren't here yet.

Connection speed is still awesome for me. I'm glad backhaul works now. And I'm glad the brief outages are gone (fingers crossed). Now just hoping they get all the promised features out soon. Seriously want to see something damn inspiring on the visibility/monitoring side. I see Disney Circle ads all over the place. And it's tempting. :)

• Like 1
alan617@gmail.com

HSS Star, 

how can you tell if the Luma units have  been updated?  i got my units a week ago and from the app it dosen't look like it shows version numbers for any of them anywhere

thanks!

HSS Star, 

how can you tell if the Luma units have  been updated?  i got my units a week ago and from the app it dosen't look like it shows version numbers for any of them anywhere

thanks!

Welcome to the forums!

The only way to know if Luma has been updated is to contact support.

HSS Star, 

thanks!

You can go to 192.168.55.1/version.  Mine currently returns {"firmware_version":"1.1-11","eos_version":"0.9.16-1","build_version":"jenkins-luma-firmware-dev-CS-office-build-server-284"}

I found this using dirbuster to scan port 80 on the luma from inside my network.  I was bothered by the fact that it didn't detect my dictionary attack on its open port as a security issue on my network, but I did find that it has a file for version and one for identity that provides a long hexadecimal UUID.

Has anyone analyzed trafffic between the app and the router?  I captured some packets and it looks like the app sends traffic out to the internet instead of just to the router (specifically mixpanel.com and amazonaws.com).  I can understand the router reaching out to external servers that provide information for content management and security threats, but I don't understand why the app would need to exchange data with anything except the local devices.

You can go to 192.168.55.1/version.  Mine currently returns {"firmware_version":"1.1-11","eos_version":"0.9.16-1","build_version":"jenkins-luma-firmware-dev-CS-office-build-server-284"}

I found this using dirbuster to scan port 80 on the luma from inside my network.  I was bothered by the fact that it didn't detect my dictionary attack on its open port as a security issue on my network, but I did find that it has a file for version and one for identity that provides a long hexadecimal UUID.

Has anyone analyzed trafffic between the app and the router?  I captured some packets and it looks like the app sends traffic out to the internet instead of just to the router (specifically mixpanel.com and amazonaws.com).  I can understand the router reaching out to external servers that provide information for content management and security threats, but I don't understand why the app would need to exchange data with anything except the local devices.

Nice catch on finding out the firmware version :) Mine also matches your version. So now that we know Luma is hosting at least some services on port 80 it will be interesting to see if they are going to allow us to use port 80 to host our own web server? As for the app communicating over the internet the reason is simple, Because you can monitor and change settings when away from home.

Edited by itGeeks
alan617@gmail.com

thanks for the replies and the warm welcome.  i just checked mine also and it shows same version.  i'm getting very good speeds throughout the house. hopefully the promised features update is coming soon.