• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• dz8

• cskenney

• awraynor

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personal Review: Luma 3-Pack White   Sorry, this won't be a crazy technical review. I'm a busy guy. Just wanted to provide my experience after having the Luma system for one day.   My Network  

More Updates   This product definitely looks rushed out the door. I have not had any performance or connection issues yet. Still good in that regard and speeds are fast throughout the house. BUT, af

I read your review on Amazon, You are spot on with it and you did it in a nice way. We can only hope things will get better going forward because god knows its been a rocky start. Only time will tell.

itGeeks

You know how to quiet someone who keeps pointing out all the shortfalls in your product?  Have them become a beta tester and sign an NDA...

I find it hard to believe that marketing isn't communicating with engineering.  Did that sound sincere?  Did I mention I am a product design engineer?  Marketing wants the product in the market.  They are getting their lunch handed to them by eero and the other competitors are closing in.  Engineering is screaming we aren't quite ready....

Yup, Politicians at there best. Say a whole lot of nothing. O ya regarding the NDA, There is none. I am also in the beta group as of last week and NDA never came up, y? Because we are only going to be helping them flush out bugs (maybe) and we won't have access to privileged information as anything we are testing has already been publicly announced. Bottom line its bla bla bla, bla bla bla..... Checks in the mail but no ETA. Same song different day. I agree with you, The enemy are catching up quick and before you know it there will be a half a dozen choices to choose from, I really wish AmpliFi had parental controls & gateway security built-in because if it did I would be testing that product right now. I am really trying to rethink what I am doing and the problems I am trying to solve, The only thing making me stick around with Luma is there so called 'cyber security' though it's unclear if its even working.

Untangle for my gateway solution is looking more and more like it's the best way to go then build out from there, The management wont be grandma friendly but it would give me and my family/friends the most secure and best performing solution I feel. Maybe in a couple of years from now Eero/Luma and others will be more baked and have better security built-in all managed with a easy to use app that grandma/grandpa can manage.

This is all getting very old quick....

Edited by itGeeks
itGeeks

I can't say you're wrong and after you posted, I definitely gave it a bit of thought, but I think it better to see things from a different perspective... All over the internet there are groups of people, like here or Facebook, who are up in arms over the state of the system as we've received it; I can't say my personal experience has shown that any of the pitchforks and torches tossed around forums are enough produce change in and of themselves.  Certainly they have the potential, but usually they garner only momentary attention, if any at all. I've no interest in burning Luma's house to the ground, I prefer to create things.  Besides, I've a fair amount of experience in project management,networking, and deployments, and my circumstances allow me plenty of time to offer. Even if I'm just a annoying buzz in their ear, perhaps I can do some good.

So why not help? Whenever I take on side projects like this, it usually ends up benefiting me in the end, if not in the most expected way.

As for awraynor's question?  I honestly couldn't say.  If I had to shoot from the hip, I'd say that the product will eventually get to where it should be; the real question being will it get there in time to satisfy the early adopters?  I guess the impending update will give us a glimpse at the direction they intend to take.

If Luma really wanted to try and do the right thing then they should extend the return policy at least equal to 14 days after they release this update that gives us the promised features that Luma was suppose to ship with in the first place, That would at least give Luma some credibility back and not make us feel like they where out to take our money and run and it may also stop some of the negative chatter going on aka (comb the horses) and would give them the needed time to get on track with this project. Right now it's a train wreck at best and the poor soles that think there kids and network are secure, Frighting :blink:

Edited by itGeeks
itGeeks

@jericho.

After speaking with them do you feel there is hope for the product yet or just too early to tell?

After speaking with Luma several times over the last month they do seem to talk the talk, I am just waiting for them to walk the walk. Don't really know myself at this point. 

awraynor

I'll admit I was let down by them The wait wasn't the issue. The FIFO shipping debacle, Best Buy first and then under delivering. I have the 3-pack at my desk and I really, really don't want to send it back. As promised Luma was everything I felt I wanted. We just wanted them to take responsibility for their actions, not just keep being cagey.

I've purchased Eero and other than ease of use I'm trying to decide if it's giving me more than my old Asus router was giving me. I'll play with it more this weekend , but not 100% sure I'll keep it either.

A mesh like system is needed. I'm not a super user like some and I still have over 20 devices on my network, many streaming video.

Luma needs all the goodwill they can garner. In the future it will be more consumer familiar brands in the market and then things will get tough. Most consumers don't know Ubiquiti, but they do know D-Link and others.

When widespread familiarity and availability occurs, Mesh will be very interesting.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

itGeeks

Okay, so I had a long talk with Stephen from Luma, we covered a broad range of topics and my take away is that there is a distinct lack of communication between the marketing wing and the engineers who are working to put out a solid product.  There were a couple of issues I wish I'd addressed more fully, namely the claim of 'enterprise grade' security...  I dropped the ball on that, my bad.  But I think I was able to communicate some concerns or experiences that had escaped the in-house team.  Long story longer, I've agreed to join up with their Beta group and now have a way to reach out directly... but...  I'm also now bound by an NDA.  The funny part of all this is I went back to update my Amazon review to reflect the discussion we had earlier today but Amazon has it locked down!  Seriously... I can't even edit something that's already posted.  It is unfortunate, I told Stephen I'd make a couple changes but, at least for the moment, I'm flat unable.

All told, I believe it was a productive conversation, and he said he would be bringing some of my concerns to the attention of those in a position to address them.

What did they say about the firewall? I nice Q&A post here would be helpful ^_^

itGeeks

I can tell you that I was on the 2.4 gHz band when I was connecting to the Airport Extreme.  As for the Luma I'm not sure. But it really wouldn't have made any difference in this case as I was so close to the router.  I'm making an assumption that I was on AC for the Luma and N for the Airport Extreme - but I guess I can't prove it - though the results I posted were very consistent over several measurements.  Also, I did a few tests from my win10 desktop (using speedtest.net) which is connected via ethernet to a switch and then to the Airport Extreme and I was consistently getting almost 90mb download speeds. (which is about the ceiling I have for my Comcast plan) This would reinforce the theory that the Airport Extreme was limited in WiFi only, but not when wired.  

None of this takes into account any real load of course, but I'm glad to see that the Luma doesn't appear to be the weak link in the chain as far as wireless speeds.  

I am sorry but I respectfully disagree with you, The band your connected to would make all the difference in the world and would not matter that you where on top of the Luma. Your test results further confirm you where connected to the 2.4 GHz band of Luma and not the 5 GHz, How do I know? Because if you where connected to the 5 GHz band you would of been able to saturate the full 100G of your internet and the speed test would of confirmed it. FYI The 2.4 GHz band on Luma is locked down and using 20 MHz (narrow) and not 40 MHz (wide) so you would never get speeds better then what you saw. I have FiOs 150/150 and when I force my laptop to connect to the 2.4 GHz band I am only getting 76 Mbps down but when I force my laptop to connect to the 5 GHz band I am getting 150+ using speedtest.net. The bottleneck in your case was the band you where connecting to.

I am sorry but I respectfully disagree with you, The band your connected to would make all the difference in the world and would not matter that you where on top of the Luma. Your test results further confirm you where connected to the 2.4 GHz band of Luma and not the 5 GHz, How do I know? Because if you where connected to the 5 GHz band you would of been able to saturate the full 100G of your internet and the speed test would of confirmed it. FYI The 2.4 GHz band on Luma is locked down and using 20 MHz (narrow) and not 40 MHz (wide) so you would never get speeds better then what you saw. I have FiOs 150/150 and when I force my laptop to connect to the 2.4 GHz band I am only getting 76 Mbps down but when I force my laptop to connect to the 5 GHz band I am getting 150+ using speedtest.net. The bottleneck in your case was the band you where connecting to.

Interesting.  I was actually referring to the band on my Airport Extreme as it has both 2.4 and 5. (and they use different SSID's so I know which one I'm connecting to)  I didn't realize that Luma has more spectrum available when using the 5gHz band..  Is that common across all routers that support 5gHz, or something unique to Luma?  Also, as I mentioned earlier I get around 85 mbps download via ethernet, so I'm not sure we can say for certain that my wifi test with the Luma was being limited by the band - rather I think I was probably hitting roughly the max that Comcast is giving me.  

Edited by eagle63

Received my Luma 3 pack yesterday. Kinda don't want to even bother setting them up. If I find some time I might test the speed/mesh just to have a full set of numbers to compare to eero and OM.

• Like 1
itGeeks

Interesting.  I was actually referring to the band on my Airport Extreme as it has both 2.4 and 5. (and they use different SSID's so I know which one I'm connecting to)  I didn't realize that Luma has more spectrum available when using the 5gHz band..  Is that common across all routers that support 5gHz, or something unique to Luma?  Also, as I mentioned earlier I get around 85 mbps download via ethernet, so I'm not sure we can say for certain that my wifi test with the Luma was being limited by the band - rather I think I was probably hitting roughly the max that Comcast is giving me.  

Have a look at this http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29396/~/what-is-the-difference-between-2.4-ghz-and-5ghz%3F?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Most wireless routers will come with the default set @20 MHz for the 2.4 GHz band and I would not be surprized if your Airport Exstream is also set @20 MHz for the 2.4 Ghz unless you where able to change it, I never used one so I don't know if you can. Some WAP's allow you to change this default from 20 MHz narrow to 40 MHz wide though this is not recommended unless you live in the woods with very little to no other wireless neighbors. The 5 GHz band is set by default to use 20/40 MHz so you get more bandwidth and wireless AC is set to use 20/40/80 GHz.

What where you using to test the speed of Luma? If your using Windows there is a nice free app that will show you what band & channel number your using

http://www.matthafner.com/wifianalyzer

For iOS and Android there are a ton of apps that you can use, One app I like is WiFi Network Analyzer by Zoltan Pallagi https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pzolee.wifiinfo&hl=en

Received my Luma 3 pack yesterday. Kinda don't want to even bother setting them up. If I find some time I might test the speed/mesh just to have a full set of numbers to compare to eero and OM.

Hi Jose, Can't say I blame you. I am chopping at the bit also to return them but for some reason I keep giving Luma more time. I know you said you installed Eero at your parents house, How is that working? also what are you using if anything for gateway security?

Edited by itGeeks