RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First Take on Luma Experience

itGeeks

So, the call is tomorrow, Monday, at 2pm... As it would happen my media machined which I'm using for iperf server just got the Anniversary 1607 update and seems to be having troubles.  Someone asked which ports were reporting open, they are: 7, 135, 139, 445, 3479,5071,50001.  I've used several sites for testing, the one I prefer is securityspace.com.

Good luck with your call to Luma today, I can't wait to hear what you find out. Please if you would not mind I have some questions below for you to ask-

1. Please don't forget to ask Luma how the heck do we test this so called 'cyber security'

2. Please ask them if the built in firewall does 'statefull packet inspection' (SPI)

3. Please ask them if and when we will be able to change the channel number used for both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, Its not using the best channels.

Your findings on all the open ports is interesting, I use ShieldsUP by grc and it shows the first 1055 ports as closed as well as ports 3479, 5071, 50001 so I don't know what going on in your setup. Would you mind running another port scan using ShieldsUP and see what is the results? https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I will also try your tool of choice if its free, Could you provide the exact link to the tool? Lots of options I see.

Final thoughts, You could ask Luma if you can join the beta team as I have. From what I am told beta testers should be getting the major update this week for testing.

Edited by itGeeks
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• dz8

• cskenney

• awraynor

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personal Review: Luma 3-Pack White   Sorry, this won't be a crazy technical review. I'm a busy guy. Just wanted to provide my experience after having the Luma system for one day.   My Network  

More Updates   This product definitely looks rushed out the door. I have not had any performance or connection issues yet. Still good in that regard and speeds are fast throughout the house. BUT, af

I read your review on Amazon, You are spot on with it and you did it in a nice way. We can only hope things will get better going forward because god knows its been a rocky start. Only time will tell.

itGeeks

There is a time limit on edits.

Download speed does seem important since he is getting two different values. However, what most people ignore is how devices are connecting. Are they using 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? N or AC? How many channels are being used simultaneously?

Good points, I also want to add that if the device is using the 2.4 GHz band they will not get the expected speed because Luma is only using 20 MHz narrow and not 40 MHz wide so there bandwidth is cut in half. This is best practice due to the 2.4 GHz being over crowded, You won't get any real speeds unless the device is on 5 GHz AC or not.

itGeeks

Good luck with your call to Luma today, I can't wait to hear what you find out. Please if you would not mind I have some questions below for you to ask-

1. Please don't forget to ask Luma how the heck do we test this so called 'cyber security'

2. Please ask them if the built in firewall does 'statefull packet inspection' (SPI)

3. Please ask them if and when we will be able to change the channel number used for both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, Its not using the best channels.

Your findings on all the open ports is interesting, I use ShieldsUP by grc and it shows the first 1055 ports as closed as well as ports 3479, 5071, 50001 so I don't know what going on in your setup. Would you mind running another port scan using ShieldsUP and see what is the results? https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I will also try your tool of choice if its free, Could you provide the exact link to the tool? Lots of options I see.

Final thoughts, You could ask Luma if you can join the beta team as I have. From what I am told beta testers should be getting the major update this week for testing.

Another after thought question for Luma today if you don't mind is ask them if and when we will be able to set a different DNS server from the one used on the WAN by our ISP for internal clients to use? Example I like keeping the provided DNS setting for the WAN but using OpenDNS for the added protection it offers for the clients.

Okay, so I had a long talk with Stephen from Luma, we covered a broad range of topics and my take away is that there is a distinct lack of communication between the marketing wing and the engineers who are working to put out a solid product.  There were a couple of issues I wish I'd addressed more fully, namely the claim of 'enterprise grade' security...  I dropped the ball on that, my bad.  But I think I was able to communicate some concerns or experiences that had escaped the in-house team.  Long story longer, I've agreed to join up with their Beta group and now have a way to reach out directly... but...  I'm also now bound by an NDA.  The funny part of all this is I went back to update my Amazon review to reflect the discussion we had earlier today but Amazon has it locked down!  Seriously... I can't even edit something that's already posted.  It is unfortunate, I told Stephen I'd make a couple changes but, at least for the moment, I'm flat unable.

All told, I believe it was a productive conversation, and he said he would be bringing some of my concerns to the attention of those in a position to address them.

• Like 1
cskenney

Okay, so I had a long talk with Stephen from Luma, we covered a broad range of topics and my take away is that there is a distinct lack of communication between the marketing wing and the engineers who are working to put out a solid product.  There were a couple of issues I wish I'd addressed more fully, namely the claim of 'enterprise grade' security...  I dropped the ball on that, my bad.  But I think I was able to communicate some concerns or experiences that had escaped the in-house team.  Long story longer, I've agreed to join up with their Beta group and now have a way to reach out directly... but...  I'm also now bound by an NDA.  The funny part of all this is I went back to update my Amazon review to reflect the discussion we had earlier today but Amazon has it locked down!  Seriously... I can't even edit something that's already posted.  It is unfortunate, I told Stephen I'd make a couple changes but, at least for the moment, I'm flat unable.

All told, I believe it was a productive conversation, and he said he would be bringing some of my concerns to the attention of those in a position to address them.

You know how to quiet someone who keeps pointing out all the shortfalls in your product?  Have them become a beta tester and sign an NDA...

I find it hard to believe that marketing isn't communicating with engineering.  Did that sound sincere?  Did I mention I am a product design engineer?  Marketing wants the product in the market.  They are getting their lunch handed to them by eero and the other competitors are closing in.  Engineering is screaming we aren't quite ready....

• Like 1

...my take away is that there is a distinct lack of communication between the marketing wing and the engineers who are working to put out a solid product...

I'm shocked; shocked I tell you!

awraynor

@jericho.

After speaking with them do you feel there is hope for the product yet or just too early to tell?

You know how to quiet someone who keeps pointing out all the shortfalls in your product?  Have them become a beta tester and sign an NDA...

I find it hard to believe that marketing isn't communicating with engineering.  Did that sound sincere?  Did I mention I am a product design engineer?  Marketing wants the product in the market.  They are getting their lunch handed to them by eero and the other competitors are closing in.  Engineering is screaming we aren't quite ready....

I can't say you're wrong and after you posted, I definitely gave it a bit of thought, but I think it better to see things from a different perspective... All over the internet there are groups of people, like here or Facebook, who are up in arms over the state of the system as we've received it; I can't say my personal experience has shown that any of the pitchforks and torches tossed around forums are enough produce change in and of themselves.  Certainly they have the potential, but usually they garner only momentary attention, if any at all. I've no interest in burning Luma's house to the ground, I prefer to create things.  Besides, I've a fair amount of experience in project management,networking, and deployments, and my circumstances allow me plenty of time to offer. Even if I'm just a annoying buzz in their ear, perhaps I can do some good.

So why not help? Whenever I take on side projects like this, it usually ends up benefiting me in the end, if not in the most expected way.

As for awraynor's question?  I honestly couldn't say.  If I had to shoot from the hip, I'd say that the product will eventually get to where it should be; the real question being will it get there in time to satisfy the early adopters?  I guess the impending update will give us a glimpse at the direction they intend to take.

cskenney

No one is faulting you for trying to help them. Some of us tried to be beta testers early on but got nowhere. If they had used a wider variety of beta testers they would have found out many of the issues that are now surfacing.

Like I said, I work in product design and know why they pushed their product out. I hope they can get some of their features added quickly. It will help keep the competition healthy and the costs lower for the consumer for this market.