RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First Take on Luma Experience

awraynor

I'm betting they only read the first part that was positive, not the last part that slammed them; if at all.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• dz8

• cskenney

• awraynor

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personal Review: Luma 3-Pack White   Sorry, this won't be a crazy technical review. I'm a busy guy. Just wanted to provide my experience after having the Luma system for one day.   My Network  

More Updates   This product definitely looks rushed out the door. I have not had any performance or connection issues yet. Still good in that regard and speeds are fast throughout the house. BUT, af

I read your review on Amazon, You are spot on with it and you did it in a nice way. We can only hope things will get better going forward because god knows its been a rocky start. Only time will tell.

cskenney

I'm betting they only read the first part that was positive, not the last part that slammed them; if at all.

They deleted their tweet shortly after you quoted it.
awraynor

Yep. Saw the tweet no longer available comment. Glad I could help.

I see you already returned Luma so I all most did not bother to reply but I have decided to so you and others can learn, See below-

1. Apple devices in general are very finicky with wireless. I installed a Asus wireless router in my daughters place over two years ago and my son in law decided after hearing about speedtest.net from one of his friends decided to download the app to his iPhone and test his internet speeds that night only to find out his speeds where crap, He quickly texted me as the family IT person to ask y his upload speeds where much better then his download speeds and the fact that his upload speeds where more inline with what he was paying for from the ISP. I said to him that was very strange so I did a remote season to a laptop they own using TeamViewer and a speed test showed they where getting the correct speed from there ISP so I then did a google search for poor iPhone wireless speed and quickly discovered he was not alone, There where hundreds of users having the same problem with different brands of wireless routers. Lesson learned. I think apple is doing something none standard with wireless connectivity and that's y there are so many problems with Apple devices. Even Open-Mesh had problems with Apple devices at one point and they are an enterprise product. I know its easy to blame Luma for everything since there is so much negitive chater around but this may not be a Luma problem per say.

I can tell you I have FiOs fiber 150/150 and all my Android devices are getting 153 down and 160 Up behind Luma since day one with 5 ms ping. Luma did push a firmware update over the last few days to address some speed problems even though I have had none, I would wonder if you had the latest firmware?

As for the Luma app and the reported speeds, I would not worry about that as its a glitch in the app only with no affect on performance. My Luma app has been reporting I have 150 Down correct but only 65 up incorrect but with testing I am getting my full internet speed + sum.

When you tested Luma did you turn off the wireless on the Nighthawk?

As for your antenna statement I will challenge you on that, The fact is if external or internal has nothing to do with anything if the solution is good. I had a single Open-Mesh MR1750 installed on the first floor on a three story house and it covered not only all three story of my house but my entire outside property and it had "internal antennas" 

Some questions back to you, just so I understand:

*If Apple doesn't play nice with Luma and you can only set up Luma from Apple (or Android) and not from a browser, doesn't it make it Luma's job to make it work right from the start? It's not like there are that many Apple devices compared to Android or Windows. (Oddly, I see nothing on Amazon's Luma page that says you are required to set up Luma with only a iOS or Android device.) Maybe it's in the questions, but it should be up front.)

*How would I know what firmware revision I have? The app is opaque in almost all respects. If the firmware or software version is there, I can't find it.

* Why should I have to turn off the Nighthawk? If the Luma is picking the strongest channel and I'm close to the Luma, then it's either picking the wrong channel or its signal is too weak anyway.

* You seem to be quoting me as saying internal antennas. I didn't. To clarify, I am referring to antennas that are larger and can be positioned at optimum angles. Granted, a "hidden" antenna is essentially the same as an internal antenna, but nothing you said convinces me that large, positionable antennas are the equivalent of Luma antennas. 

I'm always ready to learn. Let's talk.  :)

(As an aside, I think it stinks that Amazon is now blocking reviews on all Luma products after accumulating a 4.5* rating. This just comes off badly.)

Edited by JH73
awraynor

Yes, on Amazon showing a whole 15 reviews at 4.5 stars compared to 190 questions. 

It seems I am going to have a conference call with some people from Luma.  I know it has been said that Luma does in fact have a firewall however I have not been able to confirm this; the fact is that I have 7 ports open to the internet and that is of concern to me.  Additionally my previous routers always stealthed my ports rather than reported them closed. I've tested the claims of malware scanning and have found no evidence of this either; when a restriction is set, I have been able to verify subscription based blacklisting. I've addressed channel selection and have used iPerf to to test bandwidth steering.  I'm asking if there are any specific points you would like me to address?  I have the extra time at the moment so if I am able to help in make Luma a better product, then I'd be glad to.

The only thing I would ask is that if a claim is made or challenged, I'd always appreciate data so I can pass it on with confidence.

Entertaining to read your back and forth with Luma on Amazon. Keep up the good work. 

I assume your upload speed is being throttled by your ISP, so that part of the comparison is not particularly useful. I would be interested in your upload numbers if you could make a band for band comparison. Also, what up and down numbers are being shown by the Luma software?

I saw your follow-up post too, but I'm not sure I know what you meant.  Yes, Comcast is certainly limiting my upload speed - I think my plan is capped at about 5MB/sec for upload.  But the point to my test was more to make sure that Luma wasn't the limiting factor - and it doesn't seem to be.

There is a time limit on edits.

Download speed does seem important since he is getting two different values. However, what most people ignore is how devices are connecting. Are they using 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? N or AC? How many channels are being used simultaneously?

I can tell you that I was on the 2.4 gHz band when I was connecting to the Airport Extreme.  As for the Luma I'm not sure. But it really wouldn't have made any difference in this case as I was so close to the router.  I'm making an assumption that I was on AC for the Luma and N for the Airport Extreme - but I guess I can't prove it - though the results I posted were very consistent over several measurements.  Also, I did a few tests from my win10 desktop (using speedtest.net) which is connected via ethernet to a switch and then to the Airport Extreme and I was consistently getting almost 90mb download speeds. (which is about the ceiling I have for my Comcast plan) This would reinforce the theory that the Airport Extreme was limited in WiFi only, but not when wired.  

None of this takes into account any real load of course, but I'm glad to see that the Luma doesn't appear to be the weak link in the chain as far as wireless speeds.  

Edited by eagle63

I saw your follow-up post too, but I'm not sure I know what you meant.  Yes, Comcast is certainly limiting my upload speed - I think my plan is capped at about 5MB/sec for upload.  But the point to my test was more to make sure that Luma wasn't the limiting factor - and it doesn't seem to be.

I think you mean 5mb/sec. Yes, I agree Luma wasn't the limiting factor on the upload. Most ISPs limit the upload speed because they don't want you running a server without paying business rates. My upload on Google Fiber is not capped, so I could test it more accurately. (Well, it is technically capped at 1000 mb/sec, but by that point I'm usually waiting on the other end.)

So, the call is tomorrow, Monday, at 2pm... As it would happen my media machined which I'm using for iperf server just got the Anniversary 1607 update and seems to be having troubles.  Someone asked which ports were reporting open, they are: 7, 135, 139, 445, 3479,5071,50001.  I've used several sites for testing, the one I prefer is securityspace.com.

itGeeks

*If Apple doesn't play nice with Luma and you can only set up Luma from Apple (or Android) and not from a browser, doesn't it make it Luma's job to make it work right from the start? It's not like there are that many Apple devices compared to Android or Windows. (Oddly, I see nothing on Amazon's Luma page that says you are required to set up Luma with only a iOS or Android device.) Maybe it's in the questions, but it should be up front.)

*How would I know what firmware revision I have? The app is opaque in almost all respects. If the firmware or software version is there, I can't find it.

* Why should I have to turn off the Nighthawk? If the Luma is picking the strongest channel and I'm close to the Luma, then it's either picking the wrong channel or its signal is too weak anyway.

* You seem to be quoting me as saying internal antennas. I didn't. To clarify, I am referring to antennas that are larger and can be positioned at optimum angles. Granted, a "hidden" antenna is essentially the same as an internal antenna, but nothing you said convinces me that large, positionable antennas are the equivalent of Luma antennas. 

I'm always ready to learn. Let's talk.  :)

(As an aside, I think it stinks that Amazon is now blocking reviews on all Luma products after accumulating a 4.5* rating. This just comes off badly.)

*If Apple doesn't play nice with Luma and you can only set up Luma from Apple (or Android) and not from a browser, doesn't it make it Luma's job to make it work right from the start?

A) It could be Luma job to try and fix it but it also could be Apples job, In the case of my son-in-law speed problem with Asus it was Apple that had to fix it with a firmware update. I would say if you still have Luma reach out to support by phone or email and explain your problem so this can get sorted. The support contacts are below-

ph: 800-684-5862

email: support@getluma.com

*How would I know what firmware revision I have?

A) You contact support and tell them it is your understanding that they push an update over the last few days and you want to make sure your current because you are having these troubles with performance. I do know the recent update addressed some performance problems but I don't know if it would fix yours.

A) Because as far as I can tell Luma is hard-coded right now to use channel (40) for the 5 GHz band and channel (6) for the 2.4 GHz band with no regard to what channel is best, Its not a good idea to have multiple AP's in the same environment unless you know what you are doing and can make the needed adjustments to make sure they play nice together or the system your using is designed out of the box to work as a system such is the case with Luma.

I'm always ready to learn. Let's talk.   :)

A) Bigger is not always better, Just because some of these monster wireless routers are looking more and more like something you would see on stare-wars does not make the unit better. A WAP that has there antenna tuned and is 360 degrees could outperform the unit that has 6-8 antennas. Of course this is subjective but it's been my expiriance. I would rather not have to deal with antenna alignment, You know put the left antenna 45 degrees left put the right antenna 45 degrees right and make sure the center antenna is strait up. Unless you have the WAP up out of the way where there is no traffic your always chasing miss-aligned antennas, Been there done that and no thank you. 

A) WOW really? I did not know that. Then I agree with you in that it comes off badly, There sure does seem to be something going on with the whole Amazon/Luma deal but i just cant put my finger on it. When you click purchase from the Luma website you are no longer directed to Amazon either, Hmm.

Edited by itGeeks