RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First Take on Luma Experience

cskenney

This forum was pretty helpful for me when I was looking in to my new Luma system.  I managed to write a cautionary review on Amazon by reviewing the single Luma node instead of the three pack, which still shows as 'not available'...

I also read your review.  One item that stood out was the comment about the device lacking a firewall.  I don't think that is correct.  Did you test it?  One of our other forum members stated it didn't have a firewall but then clarified that position by stating it didn't make the ports stealth.  While you can argue if closed ports or stealth ports are better you can't really say that it doesn't have a firewall if in fact it doesn't have open ports.

Regarding the comments about all the posts on Amazon...I may move them to the reviews topic.  They aren't really first impressions of anyone in our forums.

In every case the social media machines at these companies will NOT talk about their problems.  They are going to hype the good things.  Every time someone praises them they will retweet it.  We shouldn't be surprised by this.  It is up to other places (like our forums) or other impartial reviewers to give honest and clear feedback on what we experience with these products.

If you (directed at everyone) have purchased the product and tried it then by all means tell us about your experiences.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• dz8

• cskenney

• awraynor

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personal Review: Luma 3-Pack White   Sorry, this won't be a crazy technical review. I'm a busy guy. Just wanted to provide my experience after having the Luma system for one day.   My Network  

More Updates   This product definitely looks rushed out the door. I have not had any performance or connection issues yet. Still good in that regard and speeds are fast throughout the house. BUT, af

I read your review on Amazon, You are spot on with it and you did it in a nice way. We can only hope things will get better going forward because god knows its been a rocky start. Only time will tell.

boats4chris

My experience with Luma has been as painful as everyone else on this board. I woke up the morning only to be informed by my wife the the WiFi was down. Guess it was a bad morning...

So I got out my phone with the app and turned off WiFi and opened the app. Sure enough, it said that my Luma was down. I turned the WiFi back on and ran a ping discovery app and I could see all 3 Luma device in the result set. 

I turned on my wired PC, and no Internet connection there either. I could ping the main Luma, but could not get to the internet. The main Luma device light ring was unlit (I thought they were supposed to flash red or something?) and my cable modem lights all looked good. 

I restarted the main Luma and my Phillips Hue bridge started looking for an Internet connection (which is new, that device has been down for 2 weeks), but no Internet still for any devices. The iPhone app still showed my Luma network was offline. I then restarted the main Luma again, and everything eventually came up, even my Hue bridge.

So I am not sure if the problem was my cable modem or the Luma. I'm going to blame the Luma for now since it has mostly sucked so far. I guess the lesson learned here is that when the Luma goes down...

1) Restart the cable modem

2) Restart the main Luma

I am still extremely disappointed in the absence of promised features and the severe lack of visibility to the health of the network, but I am glad that it is back up and running. I think I have finally reached a point where most of my devices are working (I still have Tivo and my weather station going through the old router) so I can get back to just using the network instead of working on it. 

I can't continue to wait for the parental feature so I will be adding Circle to my network this weekend. 

On a side note, I had a bit of a laugh today when I looked at my email and saw a message from Best Buy prominently advertising the Luma device. 

Link here:  http://view.emailinfo2.bestbuy.com/?j=fecc1c707767017c&m=fef41d77766c04&ls=fe5b15787d670c7d7413&l=ff9b1771&s=fe5b1578726c047f771c&jb=ff2c1674706c&ju=fe5f10747467057c7c1d&r=0

Pretty funny...

itGeeks

I also read your review.  One item that stood out was the comment about the device lacking a firewall.  I don't think that is correct.  Did you test it?  One of our other forum members stated it didn't have a firewall but then clarified that position by stating it didn't make the ports stealth.  While you can argue if closed ports or stealth ports are better you can't really say that it doesn't have a firewall if in fact it doesn't have open ports.

Regarding the comments about all the posts on Amazon...I may move them to the reviews topic.  They aren't really first impressions of anyone in our forums.

In every case the social media machines at these companies will NOT talk about their problems.  They are going to hype the good things.  Every time someone praises them they will retweet it.  We shouldn't be surprised by this.  It is up to other places (like our forums) or other impartial reviewers to give honest and clear feedback on what we experience with these products.

If you (directed at everyone) have purchased the product and tried it then by all means tell us about your experiences.

Correct, That was me that said no firewall when in fact it does as tested by a port scanner but like Eero just shows the ports are closed and not stealth.

This is my first post here and I'm going to mention something that either doesn't concern most people or isn't a problem for them, since I haven't seen the issue raised.  My Luma 3-pack arrived this week and I set it up according to instructions. The setup seemed to go smoothly. The reason I purchased the Luma system was so I could have a strong signal throughout my 2600 sq.ft. house without using access points. I don't like switching SSIDs as I move around the house. I thought this would be a perfect solution. It is not. My Nighthawk R7000 (in access point mode and centrally located) gives me much greater internet speed than the Luma, even when I'm standing a few feet from the Luma. Why should my Netgear Nighthawk give me double the download speed and triple the upload speed that I get from the Luma? This is with the Netgear thirty feet away and the Luma only a few feet away, both with clear line-of-sight.

Since I can't access any settings for channels (or even see what channel I'm on) I have no idea how to change this. So yes, the Luma mesh network is convenient for me, but not at the cost of a drastic speed decrease. 

This morning I tried again to setup the Luma from scratch. Even after pushing the reset button, all I got was a spinning blue circle which eventually transitioned to a pulsing blue circle. I could see the Luma on the network, the software could not find it. Maybe I have to setup a new account? Maybe I have to use a new email address to setup a new account? Who knows? I would have given my second try more effort if I were actually satisfied with the performance, but why bother?

Two other things: I ordered this in February 2016 (on Amazon) with a promised delivery date in late April. That date came and went and a new delivery date was set for June. Nothing came in June. The actual delivery date was August 4. Repeated delays usually indicate a troublesome product. The other thing is this: If you don't log out of the software (at least in iOS) you leave your network password exposed. Since very few of us find it necessary -- or would remember -- to logout of iOS apps, I find this unacceptable. You should see a row of dots, not your naked PW, IMHO. If your kid picks up your iPad and touches the Luma icon, he's got your network pw, and maybe the pw to other things as well.

I called Amazon and they accepted this as a return. I'm heading to the UPS Store.

Edited by JH73
awraynor

I ordered mine in December and just arrived even though I cancelled it weeks ago. Also cancelled the 3 pack from Amazon.

I wanted to try it and then send it back. The news seems bad so I'll leave it sealed and maybe they can sell it to someone else as new. 

schoondoggy

This is my first post here and I'm going to mention something that either doesn't concern most people or isn't a problem for them, since I haven't seen the issue raised.  My Luma 3-pack arrived this week and I set it up according to instructions. The setup seemed to go smoothly. The reason I purchased the Luma system was so I could have a strong signal throughout my 2600 sq.ft. house without using access points. I don't like switching SSIDs as I move around the house. I thought this would be a perfect solution. It is not. My Nighthawk R7000 (in access point mode and centrally located) gives me much greater internet speed than the Luma, even when I'm standing a few feet from the Luma. Why should my Netgear Nighthawk give me double the download speed and triple the upload speed that I get from the Luma? This is with the Netgear thirty feet away and the Luma only a few feet away, both with clear line-of-sight.

Since I can't access any settings for channels (or even see what channel I'm on) I have no idea how to change this. So yes, the Luma mesh network is convenient for me, but not at the cost of a drastic speed decrease. 

This morning I tried again to setup the Luma from scratch. Even after pushing the reset button, all I got was a spinning blue circle which eventually transitioned to a pulsing blue circle. I could see the Luma on the network, the software could not find it. Maybe I have to setup a new account? Maybe I have to use a new email address to setup a new account? Who knows? I would have given my second try more effort if I were actually satisfied with the performance, but why bother?

Two other things: I ordered this in February 2016 (on Amazon) with a promised delivery date in late April. That date came and went and a new delivery date was set for June. Nothing came in June. The actual delivery date was August 4. Repeated delays usually indicate a troublesome product. The other thing is this: If you don't log out of the software (at least in iOS) you leave your network password exposed. Since very few of us find it necessary -- or would remember -- to logout of iOS apps, I find this unacceptable. You should see a row of dots, not your naked PW, IMHO. If your kid picks up your iPad and touches the Luma icon, he's got your network pw, and maybe the pw to other things as well.

I called Amazon and they accepted this as a return. I'm heading to the UPS Store.

Can you post some numbers? 

It seems I am going to have a conference call with some people from Luma.  I know it has been said that Luma does in fact have a firewall however I have not been able to confirm this; the fact is that I have 7 ports open to the internet and that is of concern to me.  Additionally my previous routers always stealthed my ports rather than reported them closed. I've tested the claims of malware scanning and have found no evidence of this either; when a restriction is set, I have been able to verify subscription based blacklisting. I've addressed channel selection and have used iPerf to to test bandwidth steering.  I'm asking if there are any specific points you would like me to address?  I have the extra time at the moment so if I am able to help in make Luma a better product, then I'd be glad to.

The only thing I would ask is that if a claim is made or challenged, I'd always appreciate data so I can pass it on with confidence.

Edited by Jericho
schoondoggy

This forum was pretty helpful for me when I was looking in to my new Luma system.  I managed to write a cautionary review on Amazon by reviewing the single Luma node instead of the three pack, which still shows as 'not available'.  I'm frustrated by the extent of the corporate push to reject any awareness that anything could be wrong. Immediately after I posted my review, the page's customer review section exploded into a veritable love letter... Nothing but glowing, cooing 5 star reviews.  Now either they've got a product revision that we have not, or they're shill posts. As of now, only one other user can actually verify they actually purchased it.  Most the others are zero day accounts that are hyping the same tired marketing lines.  Increased range, ease of setup, and parental controls.

I wouldn't be so disillusioned with Luma if they were at all willing to acknowledge issues, or even if they were honest in their public 'updates'... Evade and deny seems to be the order of the day.  I guess what I'm saying is that we're finally able to review these systems on Amazon and beyond any forum, or any group, THAT is going to be the place where they're most sensitive to criticism, and THAT is where they might be most incentivized to improve.   So, if you're a Luma owner, I'd recommend visiting Amazon and submitting a product review.  It might help make our Lumas functionally sound.

Thanks for the review you posted on Amazon and for pointing out the shill reviews. I know way too many people that blindly accept the advise from Amazon reviews without checking the validity. I find it hard to believe that Luma would stoop to doing this, but who else would drive this effort? 

Thanks for the review you posted on Amazon and for pointing out the shill reviews. I know way too many people that blindly accept the advise from Amazon reviews without checking the validity. I find it hard to believe that Luma would stoop to doing this, but who else would drive this effort? 

Who knows who they might be using for a marketing initiative.  It could be outsourced.  

Can you post some numbers? 

Using Speedtest.net, and about ten feet away from the Luma it was 35.44 down and 14.7 up. When I switched to my Nighthawk router I got 70.46 up and 80.57 down. This is an older gen 4 iPad without the AC band. I have Google Fiber which gives me about 940 mb up and down with ethernet. I don't expect blazing fast numbers with this particular tablet hardware, but I don't expect the comparison to be this bad. I wanted to try the setup with my Surface Pro 4, but that isn't supported. Curiously, the Luma software showed I was getting blazing fast download speeds, 209 mbps and zero upload. This number never changed no matter where I moved, so I believe it to be bogus. I took a screen grab but can't seem to upload it. Oh well, it went back to Amazon earlier today. 

I also want to observe, and I've been on WiFi since "B" band was the standard, that even though routers like the Nighthawk are ugly and have big, ugly antennas, there is a reason for that. A small, hidden antenna is not going to have the punch you get from a more powerful device, even though the "mesh" can distribute the signal more evenly. At least that's my uninformed opinion. I hope someone can correct me on this.