RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First Take on Luma Experience

Question to dz8.

Where did you find the reference that Luma is using a Qualcomm quad core 667Mhz processor?  I am interested in the article to see if there are any other interesting information about the Luma internals.

For whatever reason, I can't find the link now. But I read somewhere that the Luma uses Qualcomm's IPQ40x9 platform which has a quad core A7 clocked at 638MHz (apologize for the 667MHz earlier - had a temporary brain fart while staring at some old ddr2 ram sticks sitting around). It was a comparison between Luma's quad core and Eero's dual core, and it rightfully pointed out that it's an apples to oranges comparison. But nonetheless I was pointing out the COGs on the two products should be close hence my opinion that the pricing difference is purely strategic/margin driven as opposed to characterizing one products as the more expensive and thus better option.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• dz8

• cskenney

• awraynor

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personal Review: Luma 3-Pack White   Sorry, this won't be a crazy technical review. I'm a busy guy. Just wanted to provide my experience after having the Luma system for one day.   My Network  

More Updates   This product definitely looks rushed out the door. I have not had any performance or connection issues yet. Still good in that regard and speeds are fast throughout the house. BUT, af

I read your review on Amazon, You are spot on with it and you did it in a nice way. We can only hope things will get better going forward because god knows its been a rocky start. Only time will tell.

cskenney

Bill of materials is not the only thing going into cost. Supply chain agreements and overhead costs can drive up costs considerably.

Bill of materials is not the only thing going into cost. Supply chain agreements and overhead costs can drive up costs considerably.

Absolutely! Totally agree. And those costs are further examples of why I wouldn't (in this case) judge one company's superiority over another based on one product being more expensive than the other.

Sadly, many of the other things I would judge it on (like quality and feature set), Luma is behind on or hasn't delivered, yet. But again, I'm waiting to see.

I'm really liking what I'm hearing about Circle. In fact, very tempted to just move to Open Mesh and get Circle for the monitoring/visibility features I wanted with the Luma. Then again, Luma's surround wifi seems to be on its way to stability so maybe the right move is to just keep the Lumas for the mesh networking (which is doing fine minus the ethernet backhaul which hopefully will be fixed soon) and add on the $99 Circle for monitoring/visibility. That way I don't have to flush $250 down the drain. ;)

If Luma did what Circle does (which is what I thought was the promise), then I wouldn't be having these thoughts.

LoneWolf

After reading many of these posts, this is a key reason why I do not get products at launch.  Even by an established company, I wait at least a month, but often a few more.

Startups are in a position where every day of no-release is "not making money".  It produces an urgency to get it out the door now, even if not complete.

Other companies like ASUS and such often release their routers before firmware is fully baked.  Software has become that way too; the pressure is on the devs, and the execs want it out the door.

I've seen too many products that didn't have all of the advertised features, or the features were partially broken.  On occasion, those could not be fixed in software, leading to a lot of frustrated/angry owners with a device that didn't work as promised.  I've seen it by small and big companies, and it seems to increase all of the time.  That's why I don't buy a product until I've seen it in the hands of others, read the comments on the support forum, or from other experienced IT admins in the enterprise arena.  There is very little in the US at any rate that compels vendors to match their advertised promises when it comes to features.

qtopplings

I cancelled my Luma order two weeks ago.  Never got a response.  So I cancelled it again yesterday.

Today I got my shipping notice.... <_<

itGeeks

I cancelled my Luma order two weeks ago.  Never got a response.  So I cancelled it again yesterday.

Its the old case of we just wont take no for an answer :rolleyes: Well look at it this way the 1st update should hit by end of the month allowing Luma to be more then just an AP and giving use some of the promised features we should of had at launch. Unless your all in on another product such as Eero then give it a shot and see if you like it.

Edited by itGeeks
qtopplings

Its the old case of we just wont take no for an answer :rolleyes: Well look at it this way the 1st update should hit by end of the month allowing Luma to be more then just an AP and giving use some of the promised features we should of had at launch. Unless your all in on another product such as Eero then give it a shot and see if you like it.

Nah, I'm going to save my money and keep using my rock-solid R7000, now that I've solved my wifi issues.  No longer need Luma or Eero

Same here.  Mines supposed to be here tomorrow and I cancelled last Friday.  What a mess Luma is.  I emailed them and asked them to reverse the UPS shipment.  Still hasn't happened.  They said it wouldn't delay my credit  :rolleyes: Not sure I believe them.  

Edited by jomobco
itGeeks

Same here.  Mines supposed to be here tomorrow and I cancelled last Friday.  What a mess Luma is.  I emailed them and asked them to reverse the UPS shipment.  Still hasn't happened.  They said it wouldn't delay my credit  :rolleyes: Not sure I believe them.  

There order tracking is clearly a mess. Let us know how the credit goes.

There order tracking is clearly a mess. Let us know how the credit goes.

About as messy as their coding at the moment.