RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

First Take on Luma Experience

dz8

Thanks for the info and updates. It sounds like Luma is exactly where eero was at launch. I completely agree that right now they're pretty much equal but time will tell which of the two will be able to deliver on their early promises. 

This is a great thread.  Thank you dz8.  I hope that Luma can get there with their software.  What was promised is the differentiator that pushed a lot of folks to WAIT for this product vs. getting the eero. That is a great injustice to the people that paid good money up front.  Yet, that is another thread.  I just wanted to thank you for your posts and tests.

FYI I have a single Luma sitting beside me and will speed test it against the eero. I'm going to try to get some video done today but already have a full schedule.

This is a great thread.  Thank you dz8.  I hope that Luma can get there with their software.  What was promised is the differentiator that pushed a lot of folks to WAIT for this product vs. getting the eero. That is a great injustice to the people that paid good money up front.  Yet, that is another thread.  I just wanted to thank you for your posts and tests.

FYI I have a single Luma sitting beside me and will speed test it against the eero. I'm going to try to get some video done today but already have a full schedule.

Dave you have a Luma already? Man I feel more passed over then anything now. When did you pre-order?

More Updates

This product definitely looks rushed out the door. I have not had any performance or connection issues yet. Still good in that regard and speeds are fast throughout the house. BUT, after playing with the mobile app, it's pretty clear that MOST of what they promised is actually vaporware. To be honest, if I had not known they began shipping, I would not have cared if the units arrived at the end of summer. I would have gone with Eero but I wanted the additional visibility that Luma was supposed to provide. Visibility is important. But the current state is:

NO visibility. NO ability to limit user's hours online like they showed in their videos. NO ability to monitor what user's are doing online like they showed in their videos. NO ability to see what security tests are being performed. Basically, NONE of the visibility features they pushed which differentiated them from Eero is actually in the current shipping product!

So the question is, who in Luma decided to pull the trigger on launch, without any of the differentiators implemented, and with a total disaster in shipping priority? No idea. But I wonder if that person is going to be working there much longer.

To be fair, the mesh network functionality is working great. I'm getting great speeds. If you believe PCmag, Luma is faster than Eero. I've heard Luma has quad core processors vs Eero's dual core. Is that helping with the performance? No idea. I have had no issues on setup and it's brutally easy. It's a good product and is working well.

That said, at this point none of the reasons why anyone would pick Luma over Eero are actually implemented in the system. Snake oil salesman, anyone? Will Eero be able to deliver on these differentiators by the time Luma does? or maybe even before Luma? That would be sad for Luma. And on top of that, Luma has no ethernet backhaul. And no port forwarding. Ouch.

Am I going to switch to Eero? Honestly, there's no point. I consider the two products exactly the same right now. So why bother switching? But what about six months from now? Well that depends on whether Luma's advertising was all entirely vaporware. Or they finally figure it out and deliver on their promises. Or if Eero beats them to it and delivers all the bells and whistles Luma was advertising first.

Thanks for taking the time to share your testing results. I am glad to see Luma performance is good, Are you sure there is no Ethernet backhaul? Luma told me twice that this was enabled on the shipping Luma's, I just don't understand y we can get accurate or truthful information from Luma :angry:

Edited by itGeeks

Thanks for taking the time to share your testing results. I am glad to see Luma performance is good, Are you sure there is no Ethernet backhaul? Luma told me twice that this was enabled on the shipping Luma's, I just don't understand y we can get accurate or truthful information from Luma :angry:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. I have tried plugging in cables to both the IN and OUT ports on the Lumas to my wired network. And then monitored packet counts on the switch ports for my wired network while doing multiple speedtest runs. The packet counts move up very marginally (kilobytes). So the traffic isn't going through my switch ports which suggests no backhaul is happening. Unfortunately.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. I have tried plugging in cables to both the IN and OUT ports on the Lumas to my wired network. And then monitored packet counts on the switch ports for my wired network while doing multiple speedtest runs. The packet counts move up very marginally (kilobytes). So the traffic isn't going through my switch ports which suggests no backhaul is happening. Unfortunately.

Hmmmm, OK thanks.

Rerun setup on that device?