RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Alternatives to Luma or Eero

HellDiverUK

Any multi-point wifi that uses wifi as the backhaul is a total waste of time.  You'd be better off buying a few Apple Airports and running ethernet backhaul.  

I'm running an Airport Extreme and 4 Airport Express at work, and it works great with 50+ clients across a 13,000 sq ft building.

Any multi-point wifi that uses wifi as the backhaul is a total waste of time.  You'd be better off buying a few Apple Airports and running ethernet backhaul.  

I'm running an Airport Extreme and 4 Airport Express at work, and it works great with 50+ clients across a 13,000 sq ft building.

Luma does support Ethernet backhaul and has so much more, You are comparing apples to oranges. Not trying to be rude here. Airports don't give you enterprise protection at the gateway, Airports are also not designed by nature to be run in tandem like Luma. Can you pull it off? Sure be then again you can pull it off with any brand of wireless routers with careful configuration. With Luma the user does not have to deal with complex configuration to get it all working without problems. Luma makes it very easy to get whole home wireless coverage using multiple AP's called nodes without the complexity. Luma also uses Mesh where Airport does not. Open-Mesh is also a great solution for multi point would be better then Airports in this configuration but again its apples to oranges.

Edited by itGeeks

Luma does support Ethernet backhaul and has so much more, You are comparing apples to oranges. Not trying to be rude here. Airports don't give you enterprise protection at the gateway, Airports are also not designed by nature to be run in tandem like Luma. Open-Mesh is also a great solution for multi point would be better then Airports in this configuration but again its apples to oranges.

Really?  I'm pretty sure the podcast interview said it was wifi backhaul.  Well, if it's got ethernet, then that's not so bad.

I'm not sure what you mean by "enterprise protection".  What home needs that?  Answer: none.

If Airports aren't designed to run in tandem, then why is the option there?  Apple doesn't implement features unless they work properly, and from experience it works brilliantly, totally seamless roaming between WAPs, and moving clients from busier WAPs to less used ones in range.  It works really, really well.  Better than the totally unreliable and infuriating Unifi system I had before.  Considering the Apple stuff was a quarter the price, and I had it set up in about two hours including installing the access points, I really can't complain at all about them.

But, you work away with Luma.  Let me know how it goes when you need to open a port... :)

Really?  I'm pretty sure the podcast interview said it was wifi backhaul.  Well, if it's got ethernet, then that's not so bad.

I'm not sure what you mean by "enterprise protection".  What home needs that?  Answer: none.

If Airports aren't designed to run in tandem, then why is the option there?  Apple doesn't implement features unless they work properly, and from experience it works brilliantly, totally seamless roaming between WAPs, and moving clients from busier WAPs to less used ones in range.  It works really, really well.  Better than the totally unreliable and infuriating Unifi system I had before.  Considering the Apple stuff was a quarter the price, and I had it set up in about two hours including installing the access points, I really can't complain at all about them.

But, you work away with Luma.  Let me know how it goes when you need to open a port... :)

Yes Ethernet backhaul is very much alive and working on shipping units according to Luma. As for "enterprise protection" most homes with there reckless browsing & email habits need every bit of protection they can get, I would also challenge that many homes need better protection then the enterprise, Trust me I know as I am the family IT guy and I no how many times I have to clean a computer because someone clicked on something they should not. Again I will say that Apple and Luma is comparing apples to oranges, They are two very different products addressing very two different needs. As for port forwarding we all know its not supported at launch and I am OK with that. It is coming as is bridge mode in the form of a firmware update in a later release so I am OK with that. I am not saying Apple is not good I am just saying they are different products designed to fill different needs.

I understand that protecting yourself from internet threats has a lot to do with responsible web/email habits but try explaining that to your 68 year old father-in-law that clicks on everything under the sun when it seems valid and you soon realize a lot of hand holding otherwise as know as gateway protection is more needed now then ever. You know what I am talking about? Things like "Your Bank Account Password has be compromised click the link below and change your password at once" type of emails, Or Adobe needs updating click here to update or you download a program that looks legitimate and it installs lots of crapware on your computer. We live in a very dangerous world with all this so yes something like Luma with "Enterprise type of protection" for the home is very much needed.

Edited by itGeeks

When will Luma offer port forwarding? Seems like a significant miss for even a first firmware release.

I also wanted to add I am happy that Airport is working for you and you where able to have it up and running with multiple AP's with no gateway protection in about 2 hours but the average home user with little to no experience with networking would not be able to pull that off, Luma is targeting the average home user that knows little or nothing with better WiFi and great protection with little knowledge of networking.

Edited by itGeeks

When will Luma offer port forwarding? Seems like a significant miss for even a first firmware release.

Well looking at it from a our angle it is a significant miss, I still don't know how they are going to pull this off with many homes having gaming consoles never mind everything else that home users have that need port forwarding and UPnP support for ease of use but for the moment it is was it is. They gave me no ETA for it other then its coming. I personally don't think Luma will get away with leaving it out to long but hew knows. What I do know is if people purchase Luma and it brakes there entertainment such as gaming they will have a mess on there hands, My hunch is its probably close but that only my guess.

Edited by itGeeks

I just spoke to Luma on the phone twice to two different reps regarding port forwarding, I called them twice to confirm what the first rep told me and I am happy to report that port forwarding should be possible in the next 30-45 days via a soft firmware update, That's right in time when most of us will get our pre-orders :) I think at this point we should all try and comb down and not cancel our pre-orders and allow Luma to catch up with demands and iron out some problems and add features while we wait for our Luma's. After all we do have 14 days to return Luma if we are disappointed. I am personally going to practice what I preach here and my gut tells me I will not regret waiting. Luma should only get better everyday.

Edited by itGeeks

I can't disagree that Apple AP's are good and generally work very well, the thing that puts me off is that they are too secretive around vulnerabilities in their devices.

Ubiquiti (and I read Open-Mesh) are pro-active about fixing compromises, and crucially document what has been fixed.

• Like 1