RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
calimero

TS140 questions for use with BlueIris and hotswap

calimero

I need to upgrade my current setup.

I came across the TS140 due to its chassis that ahs two front bays for expansion (5 1/4 and 3 1/2).

I do have a couple of questions that I need help with prior purchasing one:

1.) Does the TS140 SATA controller support true hotswap (combined with proper caddy)?

2.) The TS140 appears to come with the Xeon E3-1226 V3 CPU. Is this sufficient for low CPU use with 3 HD IP cameras? I know BI tried to push towards i5 or i7.

3.) Does BI run with Win Server 2012 - straight no VM?

Anything else I need to consider or be aware off?

HellDiverUK

I run BlueIris on a Fujitsu TX1310M1, which is very, very similar to the TS140.  

The Fujitsu has an E3-1226v3, which is a quad core Haswell, and basically an i5 with ECC memory support.   I boot off an old Intel 520 SSD, and I have a SanDisk enterprise-class 480GB SSD that BI records to.  It then archives to a pair of WD Red 3TB drives in RAID1.  It works great with 3 1080p HikVision cameras, and I also tested with an additional 2 576p cameras.  

I run BI on Windows 10 Pro, only because I had a spare license.  It works equally well on Server 2012R2.  You'll need to add the "Desktop Experience" role to Server 2012R2, and install the Intel GPU drivers (you can get them off Lenovo's site, or search for "pGFX drivers" on Intel's site.  Then BI will use Quicksync for encoding the video if required.  BI's performance on the MS Basic Graphics driver is terrible.

As for the hotswap question, I can't help you with that, I can't remember if hotswap worked on my TS140 or not.

• Like 1

calimero

Many thanks HSS Champion. I ordered the Lenovo. Regarding Win server 2012: Do I also need to add the "Desktop Experience" role in Win Server 2012 Essentials?

Poppapete

Blue Iris is a CPU hog but I just love it.  Make sure you are using the "Direct to Disk" recording option and that will reduce CPU usage markedly.

This from an expert:

With direct to disk, BI uses what the camera sends it, so there's no adjustment at the BI end.  Without direct to disk, it just picks a decoded frame from the camera and starts the BI encoding on that one, then generates a new iframe based on what you've set in BI, so the two don't have to be related.

The important BI setting with d2d is the motion detect pre-trigger; pre-trigger starts on the iframe when using d2d, so a shorter iframe interval helps avoid delays in pre-trigger frames.  For instance, at 5 fps and 5 iframes, if you had the pre-trigger set for 10 frames, you'd get between 1 and 2 seconds of pre-trigger time.  If it triggered on frame 10, which was an iframe, you'd get 10 seconds, but on frame 9, it would wait until the next iframe, which would be frame 5, so you'd only get 1 second.  That's my understanding, anyway. 

So, always start with more pre-trigger frames than you think you'll need, and then you can tweak it based on the results you get.

calimero

I could not locate the "Desktop Experience" Feature in the essentials version. It appears it is installed by default?

Poppapete

BI will run on essentials as a service by default.